CMSF2 getting a splash screen with just the tank firing in the dark? Here's why.

BFCElvis

I have a Windows 10 install.  What I find is that the CM2 titles sometimes appear to hang at startup eg a black screen and not even getting to the tank firing in the dark splash screen.

The 100% successful fix for this, for me, is to switch desktop ie WIndows Key plus Tab then click back on the desktop with the hung startup.  Sometimes need to do it a few times, but will always work.

I've been in IT for 20 odd years and have never had any issues getting CM to run on umpteen different machines.  I would never use third party anti virus with Win 7 or 10.  I always install games to somewhere like   Hard Drive Letter:\games , not the Windows Program Files directories.  I don't use Controlled Folder Access.

Any issue I have had with a CM install has been fixable within Windows sometimes by looking through the log entries in Event ViewerFor example that led to me  having to enable Data Execution Protection For All Programs and Services and add the CM titles as exceptions, in Windows 7.  In Windows 10 the titles happily run under the default setting Turn on DEP for Essential Windows etc.  Have you tried changing the DEP settings @Erwin ?  I seem to remember that when I had issues in Windows 7, the program would open briefly then disappear, similar to how you have described.

Edited by Jock Tamson

6 hours ago, Jock Tamson said:

Have you tried changing the DEP settings

Part  of the problem is that one feels one has to be a programmer or have a more in-depth knowledge of how the software runs that I have or want to have.  If my IT guy can't figure it out why should I waste my time? 

This situation reminds me of that 90's tank sim game "Panzer Elite" where it got so complex one spent more time getting the thing to run than playing the game - then as so many others, it was abandoned and faded into history.

Am pinning my hopes on lots of STEAM users figuring this out.

Edited by Erwin

There are at least 3 threads containing comments about your issues so I presumed you'd be interested in a potential fix.  It takes about 30 seconds and will either work, or not.  System > Advanced System Settings > Performance Settings > Data Execution Prevention tab > Turn on DEP and exclude the CM executables.

If your IT guy hasn't read the Event Viewer Logs, and hasn't seen Windows report a DEP exception, then he will not have tried it.  It is debatable whether it is an issue with CM or Windows.  Your IT guy couldn't get it to work, he isn't going to blame his own troubleshooting skills is he?

At the end of the day, PC gaming has never been like owning a Xbox.  Let's be grateful we are not all here sharing tips on how to configure config.sys and free up upper memory like 1995.

Edited by Jock Tamson

I think I had this same issue the very first time I tried to install CM on my new computer. Unfortunately I don't really remember what I did exactly to fix it, but it is not something that has happened ever since. I haven't read the whole thread but have you tried something as simple and obvious as deleting the display size.txt or even the preferences.pfc files in your documents/ Battlefront / Combat Mission ? (back up the pfc just in case before you do this).

And Jock Tamson is right about these anti virus software. They cause tons of problems and are frankly useless. If you need a particular file scanned, just use a site like Virus Total.

Many years ago I remember installing AVAST on my machine and it totally messed up my ability to run any CM game. I uninstalled and the problem went away. I recall at the time multiple people said they we on machines with similar specs to mine and they had no problem at all with AVAST. If I wasn't the only one having that problem I was very nearly the only one. I still don't know why that happened to me only.

On 8/13/2020 at 2:25 PM, Hat Trick said:

Also I still can't seem to log into the mojohelpdesk screen and it doesn't like my username/password combo when I try to sign in, even though I use it for posting this on the forum.

When you open a ticket the auto response should send you your login information. It will be different than both the store and the forum. Otherwise drop me a note by direct message. There may be personal information that I have to ask you.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone help me with this? Last night, I decided to upgrade my original CMSF to CMSF2 so I bought upgrades for the main game and the British and Marine modules.
I've entered all the serial numbers I had from Battlefront but I'm still just getting to the splash screen. Then I noticed no serial from CMSF from Battlefront - I bought the 'real' version from Paradox - can I install that and apply the Battlefront upgrade over it? Can I get a serial number from Battlefront for this? Thanks in advance for any help/pointers.

Edited by Kes

• 2 months later...

I'll post this since it may help other players in the future.  I downloaded the CMRT full installer to a new laptop and got the Splash Screen with the tank.  I spent several hours following the above suggestions with no luck. 

I entered the activation code that came with the full installer.  It would advise that activation was successful and the "Play" button appeared.  I hit play and it would take about 30 seconds for the splash screen with the tank to load.  But then it would go no further.  Just the screen with the tank. 

I entered the activation code more than a dozen times after trying the different suggestions above and was always advised "Activation successful".  So I was sure it was not an activation problem.  There was only one green box on the screen to unlock and it was successfully unlocked.  It told me every single time that activation was successful.  So I continued to change things, update things, turn off security, make exclusions, do the DEP for Essential Windows etc. 

Finally I entered the security code for the CMRT base game instead of for the 4.0 full installer and it again advised "Activation successful".  But this time when I hit the play button the splash screen immediately loaded and the game started as normal. 

To be fair I also did everything listed above plus a few more things.  So it might have been a combination of some of these things plus the base game code that made the game finally run.  I'm not sure. 

But my suggestion is, do NOT think that the activation is okay just because the screen reads activation successful.  Even with a full installer I would first exhaust every activation code for that game family I was ever given before moving on to the many other suggested remedies.  I don't think the order of the code entries matter because I entered the full installer code first (about 15 times) and then entered the base game code once on a separate attempt.  

@Erwin I'm not sure if this is helpful at all but in case it might be I'm tagging you.   

Now off to drink some alcoholic beverages .............         

What license keys you will need depends on when you purchased the Base Game and what the Engine version was at that time. With CMFI the original Engine was 2.0. Purchases of the base game (which can be of a bundle with one of the modules) could have been 2.0, 3.0 or 4.0.

So if your base game was purchased when the 4.0 Engine was current for that game, then you'll only need that Base Game license key to activate and you will be able to run the base game.

If your purchase of the Base Game was when the Engine was either at 3.0 or 2.0, then you'll need both the 3.0 and 4.0 Upgrade license keys to activate the base game (to the 4.0 version). I don't believe the original Engine 2.0 base game license key is necessary if you have the 3.0 and 4.0 Upgrade license keys.

Play close attention to the Green 'Successful Activation' boxes since they will tell you what you have activated. I believe the 'Base Game' will come up as one of the activation boxes, even if you don't put in the original license key (from an Engine 2.0 purchase). With 3.0 and 4.0 Engine purchases you will obviously need the Base Game license key.

Haven't yet tried it on my new Win 10 machine, but what I think MOS was saying is that even after getting a successful "Activation" the game still would not start (what I have been experiencing - although at least did get to see a tank).  But, the game worked ok after he used the old license keys that, as you say, should not be required.  

16 hours ago, Schrullenhaft said:

Play close attention to the Green 'Successful Activation' boxes since they will tell you what you have activated. I believe the 'Base Game' will come up as one of the activation boxes, even if you don't put in the original license key (from an Engine 2.0 purchase). With 3.0 and 4.0 Engine purchases you will obviously need the Base Game license key.

I think in the past when I've done this all the activation boxes were displayed in the window.  But they were grayed out, or something, until they were successfully activated.  After activation they turned green and read, "Activation successful".  This last time with CMRT and the full installer there were no boxes displayed until after I pasted in the code and hit the activate button.  Then one green box appeared and read "Activation successful" with another button that read "Play".  I then hit "Play" (as there didn't seem to be any other options) and got the now infamous tank screen. 

If there had also been a grayed out button displayed that read "activate base game" (or something along those lines) it would have been obvious that I needed another activation key.  Instead the window displayed the "Play" button.  I had only one CMRT download on the new computer (the full installer) so, at the time, it made sense that there might only be one activation code. 

I guess I should have ignored the "Play" button and entered another activation code. 

Anyways, its over with until next time.  I'm hopeful that all CM titles will eventually move to Steam.  The sooner the better IMO.  

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

miatch - if you purchased the 3.0 and the 4.0 Upgrades, then you DO NOT NEED THE ORIGINAL BASE GAME LICENSE KEY. For CMBN there is also the 2.0 Upgrade. What license keys you will need depends on what exactly you have purchased. If your purchase involved a download ('download + mail delivery', 'download only', 'pre-order'), then the license key is in your Battlefront Store account. If your purchase was a 'mail delivery only', then those purchases had a license key printed on a sticker that was usually attached to the disc-case or possibly the manual. The license key was NOT recorded in your Battlefront Store account for these types of purchases (perhaps they are now though, but not back then). For a purchase that was a 'mail delivery only' and you've physically lost the case or manual that had the license key sticker, then contacting the Helpdesk would be the only solution (where, I assume, they can confirm your purchase and provide you with a replacement license key).

For licensing, depending on what you've purchased, these are some possible scenarios (for CMBN). It's really recommended to purchase the 4.0 Upgrade, which will require the 3.0 Upgrade. If you don't have the 3.0 Upgrade, then there are 'bundles' of the 3.0 and 4.0 Upgrades that will upgrade any of the previous versions to 4.x. Installing the game with the 4.0 Upgrade all-in-one installer will simplify the process with just a single installation for all of the possible CMBN content. The 3.0 Upgrade is also similar in that it will provide all of the content that is compatible with the 3.x version of CMBN:

1) Just the base CMBN game on its original release (v. 1.x) and no upgrades or modules:  You will need the Base Game license key. This will NOT work with Windows 10 and you will need at least the 2.0 Upgrade license key in order for the game to work in Windows 10. For Windows 10 install the 2.0 Upgrade BEFORE attempting to activate the game (otherwise you'll get an error).

2) CMBN + Commonwealth module bundle: The 'base game' license key, which will activate both the base game and the Commonwealth module (you MIGHT need to 'activate' that license key twice - double check the 'success' screen to see the 'green boxes' to confirm what has been activated). This license key will NOT work with Windows 10 and you will need at least the 2.0 Upgrade license key to run the game in Windows 10. For Windows 10 install the 2.0 Upgrade BEFORE attempting to activate the game.

3) CMBN + Commonwealth module: The base game and the Commonwealth license keys. Again, for Windows 10 you will need the 2.0 Upgrade. Install the base game, then the Commonwealth module and then the 2.0 Upgrade BEFORE attempting to activate the game. You will need all three license keys to activate all of the purchased content.

4) CMBN + any modules + 2.0 Upgrade + 3.0 Upgrade: You will need the 2.0 Upgrade and 3.0 Upgrade license keys, along with any of the modules you have. Use the 3.0 Upgrade all-in-one installer for the game (nothing else should be necessary to install). The 2.0 and 3.0 Upgrade license keys will be necessary to activate the base game, the base game (v. 1.x) license key should NOT be needed. Any modules you have will need to be activated to access that content.

5) CMBN + any modules + 4.0 Upgrade: You will need the 3.0 Upgrade and 4.0 Upgrade license keys to activate the base game. The 2.0 Upgrade and original (v. 1.x) base game license keys will NOT be needed. Any module license keys will be needed to activate that content.

i'm having the same issue with both FI and RT. I have "activated" the keys provided multiple times. I have installed it and redownloaded it multiple times. I have tried suggestions listed including Defender exceptions, DEP. I had this issue with BN but somehow got it to work. I have submitted a ticket. 

activated keys.png

Edited by Silentkilarz

Per your screenshots it appears that both CMFI and CMRT are fully activated with their modules. So no further activation attempts should be necessary on this computer (assuming you don't reinstall Windows or significantly change the hardware).

What is the exact problem that you're seeing attempting to run either CMFI or CMRT ? Is CMBN on this same computer and working ? Is Defender the only security software that you're running on this computer ? The DEP exceptions shouldn't be necessary with the current CM games. They WERE necessary with the original CMSF and CMA games that used a different copy-protection system that could trip up DEP. The current copy-protection system doesn't work in the same manner and DEP exceptions shouldn't be necessary.

Are you running this game on a laptop ? If so, does it have a 'dedicated GPU' such as a GeForce or Radeon in addition to the Intel integrated video ? If it does, then you may need to add settings/profiles within the GPU's control panel to tell it to run the game on the dedicated GPU. Some laptops may have an utility that turns on a 'performance' mode that uses the GPU rather than the integrated video.

If you haven't done so already, you can launch the games by right-clicking on them and selecting 'Run as administrator' from the popup menu. This normally shouldn't be necessary, but with some setups it may be necessary to run the game.

If you installed the games with a different user account, then it is possible that the game can't see the scenario and campaign files (if you're seeing blank lists where these should be). The main game installations under Windows should default to the 'Program Files (x86)' directory (a custom selection can be made during install to have it install elsewhere), with some of the data files getting installed within a 'Battlefront' directory in the user account's 'Documents' directory. If the 'Data' directory in the main game installation directory is missing or empty, then the game will come up with a black screen since it can't find any of its graphics or sound files.

18 minutes ago, Schrullenhaft said:

Per your screenshots it appears that both CMFI and CMRT are fully activated with their modules. So no further activation attempts should be necessary on this computer (assuming you don't reinstall Windows or significantly change the hardware).

What is the exact problem that you're seeing attempting to run either CMFI or CMRT ? Is CMBN on this same computer and working ? Is Defender the only security software that you're running on this computer ? The DEP exceptions shouldn't be necessary with the current CM games. They WERE necessary with the original CMSF and CMA games that used a different copy-protection system that could trip up DEP. The current copy-protection system doesn't work in the same manner and DEP exceptions shouldn't be necessary.

Are you running this game on a laptop ? If so, does it have a 'dedicated GPU' such as a GeForce or Radeon in addition to the Intel integrated video ? If it does, then you may need to add settings/profiles within the GPU's control panel to tell it to run the game on the dedicated GPU. Some laptops may have an utility that turns on a 'performance' mode that uses the GPU rather than the integrated video.

If you haven't done so already, you can launch the games by right-clicking on them and selecting 'Run as administrator' from the popup menu. This normally shouldn't be necessary, but with some setups it may be necessary to run the game.

If you installed the games with a different user account, then it is possible that the game can't see the scenario and campaign files (if you're seeing blank lists where these should be). The main game installations under Windows should default to the 'Program Files (x86)' directory (a custom selection can be made during install to have it install elsewhere), with some of the data files getting installed within a 'Battlefront' directory in the user account's 'Documents' directory. If the 'Data' directory in the main game installation directory is missing or empty, then the game will come up with a black screen since it can't find any of its graphics or sound files.

Yes CMBN is working on this laptop fine. It has a dedicated 1060 which is already set to run programs (its really a desktop replacement) Ive tried running it admin already. Im the only user on this PC. I cant seem to find the data file in the program files. So something botched up somehow. I wiped all files from Battlefront on the PC including CFBN, Currently trying to redownload the files but getting a "error 110" from the site. Also working with help desk right now.

Edited by Silentkilarz

Ok so update I seem to have gotten it fixed. For some reason 7zip wouldnt extract files properly. during install the data folder put in random files form my laptop.  So i had to make the following steps.

- Download file

-Extract/Move Installer exe to desktop.

-Run intaller

- go back to 7zip folder and pull all other files

- Move those files into the data folder for each game.

• 11 months later...

After installing the SF v2.06 update the game fails to start.  I have all modules and upgrades installed.  The game was fully updated and working prior to the 2.06 update.  I added exceptions to my antivirus for the game folder and the 2.06 update.  I tried installing the update as administractor.  All attempted fixes result in the same problem.  The update seems to install fine.  When I'm asked for the activation keys and input them they're are accepted.  Hitting play then hangs the game on the tank firing screen shown in the first post above.  Disk space is not an issue.  I'm using Win11 Pro.  Running the game had not been an issue before.  I won't bother trying to install the Battle for Normandy or the Black Sea updates until I can be sure SF2 is fixed.  Any suggestions?

Are you certain the patches are being installed in the directories that you have the games installed to ? If they install to a different directory, then they will not have all of the files that they need to run. I suggest NOT copying the patches to the actual game directories to run them also. This could lead to some strange installation scenarios where the patch is nested in folders within the game.