Bug or not? Multiplayer connection issues.

Digll

Trying to play an online 2 player turn/based quick mission with my friend...

After selecting our forces we hit ok, and it's a crap shoot whether it connects.  We receive an error that says "Player has unexpected disconnected"  or something similar, I forget the exact wording.

We have tried all the combinations of having the host hit ok first, and wait on the briefing screen, simultaneous hitting ok, having the client go first etc... nothing provides consistent results. 

After 3 or 4 attempts it eventually works... but like... what?  Nothing in the manual explicity dictates the order of connecting so is this a bug or are we missing something?

Obviously all ports are unlocked, and it DOES work, just ... never consistently.  Having to repurchase units after this error SUCKS, and saving it right after the host connects doesn't save the clients unit purchases.

I suggest each of you trying to connect with another player.  If it works for only one of you with the other person then it is some kind of networking glitch with the one that still does not work.  After that try opening a support ticket.

There is a whole plane of hell consisting of nothing but network connection issues.

I suspect that the 'size' of the game (map, number of units, etc.) may be a factor in the disconnects. I don't think that there is much, if any, code difference in networking between the full version and the demo. Primarily I would guess that disconnects typically result from the way that the traffic is routed between the two competitors and the game's TCPIP code may not be very resilient with large latency of packets. To my knowledge the network code is an externally created library that has been in use with CM for a long time. There may have been changes/updates to this library over the years, but I suspect it has been pretty stable and pretty basic in its functionality.

You may want to try a VPN service like Hamachi (by LogMeIn...), which is free (for up to 5 computers... beyond what CM would need). A VPN might have a bit less latency or at least a consistent amount of it that should be a bit more predictable to the game code.

Ping and tracert don't show any dropped packets, which to me points to the software.  VPN will add latency but connection speed isn't an issue (when it works).  We're both on 100+mbit internets and within a few miles so this isn't a distance issue either. 

Definitely want to try and hear any other ideas but the above don't seem to fit the available data.  Also fwiw we're playing with tiny and small army sizes. 

Edited by Digll