Syria Tank POV battle vid (Russian commentary)

JulianJ

I just came across this. Very vivid. The narrative is in Russian. Perhaps our russian-speaking members could help a bit on what's going on, but it gives very stark impression of AFV fighting in Syria.

Quite a lot of it is for a GoPro (or similar) mounted on top of a tank, which gives you a POV.  I learnt some things - how close some of the action is, how totally devastated the environment, it's like a dusty Stalingrad, how much firing the main gun produces clouds of crud which makes targetting very hard.  I don't want to give you spoilers but they stop the frame when ATGMs come in so you see what has been fired "at you".  Some of the tanks have improvised stand-off armour made of building rubble in a cage.  Call me old fashioned, but I don't think that will stop more than harsh language.

8.45 and 12.50 are worth watching.  You might well flinch like I did.

There is some film showing the damage to tanks , particularly ERA, at the end which is interesting.

Thanks for posting in this topic.  I found those videos fascinating, horrifying and rather boring in places (note to video editors: film is like real life with the dull bits cut  out ;-)).

There's a lot to take away for us as realism gamers. In a slightly sicko way.

In modern CM all those vidcam guys would have been spotted and blown away by the tanks. 

I wondered why there seemed to be no infantry support. Surely it is bad doctrine to use armour unsupported in urban areas? Or has the SAA lost too many grunts? It appears the game makes modern tank sensors much more effective than they are in RL - the uncons and their camera crew can easily get within 100 m of afvs (yes I know some was using long lenses from a distance). The tank/IFV battlegroup did try to cover arcs together.

The exhaust smokescreen was used a lot. I assume the imaging in the tanks can see through it?  I saw how it was effective in covering retreats. CM doesn't model that, nor the ejection of spent main gun shell cases.

The sheer amount of devastation was breathtaking. I assume the pools of fetid-looking water are from burst water or sewage pipes - we should look to model that.

I dunno how anyone can say "God is great" while looking upon a once-prosperous town now reduced to hell on earth. Part of some great eternal plan? I think not.

I think someone should model the smoke then flame coming out of a tank gun barrel as it brews up. Then the ammo cook off. It seemed one  crewman survived although burned. A brutal ending.

• 1 year later...

I couldn't find more appropriate thread, so post here. Great compiled video of rebel's probe to Neyrab town 02/19/2020.

But the shugar on top is on 4:20. Rebel's ACV-15 on high speed is driving directly on Asad's T-72. Looks like loyalist crew spotted the enemy too late - they tried to rotate the turret on APC, but rebels started circling around T-72 on the distance 5-10 m. At the end they rammed the tank in the rear and assadits retrated - maybe they thought they under attack of SVBIED or they hadn't ammunution to shot APC.

I wonder if simulate this episode in CMSF2, whether the tank can spot APC (and for what time) or not. This is to the question about extra-spotting capabilities of units in CM 

UPD. The video is already deleted by Youtube, so here the cutted episode with tank and APC from Twitter (alas, in reduced quality): 

Edited by Haiduk

Amazing to see around 4:25 the APC chasing the tank around like sheepdog chasing away a bear.  Less bravery than sheer insanity.  So long as the APC kept ramming the tank the tank couldn't get its gun to bear.  But, can one imagine the terror being in that tank and not knowing WTF is going on!?  Amazing to see drone footage intercut with on the ground footage all shot in real time.  Just like a video game...

Very relieved that no chickens were harmed in the making of this video.  You don't want PETA attacking.

My understanding is that the CM2 AI has a decision cycle - so if  one's units do something fast, it's possible to get inside it.  eg:  Even in poor visibility/smoke, buttoned tanks in CM2 seem to have a telepathic ability to spot infantry sneaking up on them.  But, if you run at a tank (over a short distance natch), it's possible to kill it before it reacts.

Edited by Erwin

2 hours ago, Erwin said:

Amazing to see around 4:25 the APC chasing the tank around like sheepdog chasing away a bear. 

box-of-frogs.jpg

In CMBO I found myself with an allied truck overrun and surprised by an encroaching Tiger and so gave it minute's worth of movement orders to run circles around the clumsy giant  - less out of choice more as a desperate measure as it had nowhere to hide or run to.  The truck was doing remarkably well avoiding getting directly targetted by the Tiger's main gun when it suddenly exploded due to the Nahverteidigungswaffe 😞