Syrian Civil War Expansion?

I know that CMSF2 deals with a fictional timeline where an invasion of Syria happens in 2008, but most of the gear from that timeline is in use in the very real Syrian Civil War of today. I wonder if there is any chance for an expansion that would deal with the civil war and include some things that have been used in it, which aren't in the current game, like TOS-1, up-armored VBIEDs, and the IRAMs that the Syrians have used. I know that I'd be interested in such an expansion and I'd be surprised if I'm the only one.

Well, there is a completed "2018 Turkish Army" mod pack that I've still got to upload one of these days.
That'll get you a little bit closer to 'modern war' timeframe. It'll take some imagination to concoct modern Syria battle scenarios out of what's in the game but that's half the fun! It wouldn't be fun if it was easy. ;)

MikeyDs Turkish Mod Pack Samples.jpg

Been waiting patiently for this, MikeyD!

Mikey, are you the BFC texture guru? I have a question regarding all the apparently unused Un Con textures in SF2. I was merrily modding away on those that looked just like their SF1 counterparts, then realized none of them are being used in game. I don’t have their exact nomenclature atm, since I’m not at the computer, but their names follow the SF2 naming conventions, and they have normal maps (forgot to check if they have skeletons because it was very late last night when I discovered this, but will today), so I’m surprised they aren’t in game. Hopefully you (or some other knowledgeable forumite) can fill me in.

Thanks!

Edit:  These are the textures:

smod_syrian_uniform_combatant-soldier 3 through 6 (strangely, "2" uses the new texture layout, whereas 3-6 use the SF1 version)

smod_syrian_uniform_fighter-soldier 1 and 2

Edited by mjkerner

22 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Those seem to be pieces of former CMSF1 (or placeholder) art that somehow stayed in the brz from early Beta through release. I doubt the game uses them for anything. The naming convention isn't even right, the art used in the game is "smod_syrian_uniform_combatant 1.bmp"

Nice. I was actually gonna PM you about that! I was tooling around Saturday in the uniform folder when I came across those. I was like wtf? I spent a good hour testing some files trying to figure out what was going on. Mystery solved. Thanks for clearing that up.

Mord.

10 hours ago, TankHunter said:

I know that CMSF2 deals with a fictional timeline where an invasion of Syria happens in 2008, but most of the gear from that timeline is in use in the very real Syrian Civil War of today. I wonder if there is any chance for an expansion that would deal with the civil war and include some things that have been used in it, which aren't in the current game, like TOS-1, up-armored VBIEDs, and the IRAMs that the Syrians have used. I know that I'd be interested in such an expansion and I'd be surprised if I'm the only one.

If you take away the Gucci bits of kit that you mention, the original game provides most of the bits and pieces to simulate that conflict. The tools are there via the scenario editor.

4 hours ago, mjkerner said:

Lol, I spent nearly three just editing, cutting, repositioning, etc., etc.  Glad I asked or else I might have spent most of today on it!

If it hadn't of been so late when I encountered it I would've went that route myself. I was dead tired at that point and it was "Oh, let me just check one more thing then I'll go to bed". LOL. Luckily it ended up being a test too far at that hour. 

Mord.

38 minutes ago, noxnoctum said:

What would the quality of the various irregular troops be in comparison to regular Syrian army forces? Would there be a big discrepancy between say ISIS forces, other fundamentalist factions and say Peshmerga? I imagine some on here have followed the war really closely and could comment.

The various factions involved in the Syrian Civil War can´t be given a simple and overall quality tag. Most of the mentioned parties here have seen utilizing a wide range of professionalism, organization, and equipment. In one battle the Syrian army may have appeared looking like ill-equipped irregulars in another battle they appeared like a professional army, in one enagement ISIS sends some teenagers which never holded a gun before in do-it-yourself vehicles into sure death in another battle they appear with battle hardened Iraqi insurgency veterans and captured modern military vehicles. In one battle Peshmerga represents itself with German training and equipment in another... you get it.

To sum it up it is basically impossible to compare them on a basic level because there is already so much variation inside the parties including the Syrian Army which is really good reflected in many CMSF2 scenarios by mixing regulars/irregulars perfectly visualizing how blurred out the line can be between these two descriptions in modern wars. All of this also makes the fact even greater that the CMSF2 editor allows scenario creators have complete free hand by being able to set the experience, training, and equipment quality for every unit in CMSF2 in order to reflect this reality.

Edited by Mattis