CMSF 2 During Action Report 'Canadian Club'

Bootie

Bootie,

Cool DAR.  I'm enjoying it.  It's always interesting to see how others approach the same scenario.  I just played Canadian Club last night (turns and elite like you), and approached things a bit differently than you are.  It's a very cool little scenario.  I enjoyed the challenge.  Very interested to see how things turn out for you.

Very nice job on the DAR.  Looking forward to more turns.

Heinrich505

Bad luck that.  The green troops did frustrate me a bit on their spotting and accuracy at first.  As the battle went on, I didn't really notice their green experience affecting things too much though.

It was really fun.  At first, I was having flashbacks to CMAK, with armored cars racing across desert-like terrain, throwing up clouds of dust.  I have expected to see Afrika Corp armored cars as I topped the ridge.

1 hour ago, nonex said:

Is the Canadians' inability to see beyond the end of their rifle (on Elite) a feature or a bug? They know the enemy's there, never return fire. Well, almost never.

If they are out of the effective range of their respective weapon, they won't return fire. I will usually give a "target" command and make sure my pixeltruppen is at least within range. For example, Marines will fire at longer ranges than Army because of the differences in the max effective ranges between the Marine M-16 and M-4.

6 minutes ago, Vet 0369 said:

If they are out of the effective range of their respective weapon, they won't return fire. I will usually give a "target" command and make sure my pixeltruppen is at least within range. For example, Marines will fire at longer ranges than Army because of the differences in the max effective ranges between the Marine M-16 and M-4.

Thing is, it happens at close range... And with the C15, against SVDs. Don't seem to have that problem on Warrior difficulty.

@BootieEnjoying the videos so far! Poor marksman. Hopefully you can medic him so he can fight another day.

That tall hill is an odd terrain feature. The sight lines aren't as good to the actual objective areas as one would initially expect them to be and the Canadians definitely seem to expend a lot of ammo to get kills in this scenario. That time limit got me too when I first tried it. 45 minutes seems like a lot at first but, goes by quickly. I found it useful to get the artillery going right after they arrive given those call in times. Especially since they need to fire spotting rounds first to get on target. That is what the way off-target initial round near the road was.

Edited by Pixel

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:58 AM, Pixel said:

…..That tall hill is an odd terrain feature. The sight lines aren't as good to the actual objective areas as one would initially expect them to be and the Canadians definitely seem to expend a lot of ammo to get kills in this scenario. That time limit got me too when I first tried it. 45 minutes seems like a lot at first but, goes by quickly. I found it useful to get the artillery going right after they arrive given those call in times. Especially since they need to fire spotting rounds first to get on target. That is what the way off-target initial round near the road was.

The whole Scen is designed as a nasty surprise.  Well trained, well led, but brash Canadians must change their attitudes towards their enemies. The uncoms are fanatics in good defensive terrain. 

8 hours ago, Heinrich505 said:

MarkEzra,

There were plenty of "nasty" surprises.  A very well designed and highly enjoyable scenario.  B)

Heinrich505

Thank you.  I have been greatly influenced by John F Antal's Books... especially his "Infantry Combat -The Rifle Platoon"

One thing I noticed is that if the spotter can't get a great view of the target it seems these green Canadians will sometimes drop the artillery anyways and not always exactly where one wants/needs it to go. Anyone have a similar experience?

I managed to beat the scenario (admittedly this was playing real-time at warrior difficulty). Got two of the G-Wagons disabled/bailed out while trying to engage the OPFOR infantry near the Olive Grove. The LAVs are super useful to hammer the buildings there as long as a RPG doesn't spot them first. 

In the end I had 2 of my guys killed and a few more wounded plus the two disabled/destroyed G-Wagons but roughly 48+ OPFOR killed/wounded and both OBJs secured. Probably rushed it a little bit on the last OBJ.

Edited by Pixel

By coincidence I just played this scenario and ran into a problem with SRAAW(H) ATGM.

I wanted to use it to punch a hole through the village wall, so I bailed the ATG squad out of its vehicle, moved them to a position with a clear LOS to the wall and ordered them to fire at it.
Nothing happened but small caliber fire. I tried to moved the target a bit, to no avail.

Then I realized the ATGM was still on the back of one of the soldiers.
So I thought: OK, I've got to set the weapon up first... but I checked and there was no such button!?

Tried with another ATG team which came with the first reinforcements: same problem. 

So in the end I had to wait for the cavalry to do the job.

Any ideas why I could not use that weapon?

Edited by jhmorneau

17 minutes ago, jhmorneau said:

Has anyone succesfully targeted the village wall with the SRAAW(H)?

I just tested it. Managed to shoot the wall with no damage. However, there is no deploy option and the crewman shoulder fired it. Looks like a bug to me. I have saves if anyone needs them.

Mord.

No worries.

A little ways past where the road stops rising and grades to a level plain. I just ran them there, then drew a target line until it gave me a blue indicator. I targeted just about dead center of the diagonal front part. I am not sure if it was exactly on the wall but it looked like it. The explosion looked like that's where it impacted. It didn't leave any marks on the ground, so.

Mord.

Edited by Mord