Recommendations for historical fiction - US 1750 to 1775?

dkchapuis

Looking for recommendations for good historical fiction books set in colonial/frontier US between start of 7 years war and America revolution.  A couple that I liked are “Follow the River” by Thom and “Rise to Rebellion” by Shaara.

I’m asking here because I haven’t had much luck in other searches/forums. And I know this place used to have some very well read history folks. (I assume it still does, but I haven’t been playing much since the CMx1 days). 

Thanks!

52 minutes ago, StieliAlpha said:

Not exactly the period, but I recommend Bernard Cornwell‘s:

- Red Coats

- The Fort

I’m glad to see you recommend the Fort. That is on my ‘to read’ list. I’m trying to read novels in as close to chronological order as I can, and wanted to read a few 7 years war and pre revolution books before tackling a number of revolution era books. 

Note - I have read Agincourt by Cornwell and really liked it, as well as a Kindle sample of Sharpe’s Tigers (which I think I will read when I get to the 1800s). 

49 minutes ago, StieliAlpha said:

Ah, and if you care for Naval Warfare, check out Alexander Kent and others. They certainly have some books, covering the period.

Thanks for this recommendation. I will give this a read (and still looking for a book as described in the original post). 

11 minutes ago, dkchapuis said:

I’m glad to see you recommend the Fort. That is on my ‘to read’ list. I’m trying to read novels in as close to chronological order as I can, and wanted to read a few 7 years war and pre revolution books before tackling a number of revolution era books. 

Note - I have read Agincourt by Cornwell and really liked it, as well as a Kindle sample of Sharpe’s Tigers (which I think I will read when I get to the 1800s). 

The Fort was great, as most Cornwell books. For me at least, a completely unknown detail. And a strange story of a complete f...up, eh, “Desaster” turned into something like a success.

If you care for something from a little earlier period, have a look at Ian Gale’s “Jack Steel” series. Early 18th Century in Europe.

6 minutes ago, Pete Wenman said:

Don't forget the classics - The Last of the Mohicans by Fenimore Cooper. 

P

Hm, I thought about that one, but did not dare to mention this “oldie but goodie”.

Reminds me too: I started reading a German book from 1872, about a Stone Age tribe in Swabia (situated just a few k’s from my wife’s birthplace). Great, very strange history understanding and interpretation, if you read it with “modern” knowledge. But fun to read. 😎

Drums Along the Mohawk by Walter Edmonds is a must-read. Extremely well researched and authentic. Same with Kenneth Robert’s Northwest Passage and Arundel.   Edmonds also has a number of short stories of the period in a volume titled In the Hands of the Senecas that are great as well.  Also, Alan Eckert’s 6 volume series The winning of America is good. He calls it a Historical Narrative...there are no fictional characters in them, but he writes them like novels and they are a fun read. His history is a bit lacking, which he admits in later years, but in my early 20’s in the early 1970’s, they tripped my trigger and launched my 30 year obsession with studying/gaming the US Eastern woodland Indian Wars 1675–1832 to the exclusion of almost all other periods. So I have a soft spot for him, lol.

Edited by mjkerner

5 hours ago, mjkerner said:

Drums Along the Mohawk by Walter Edmonds is a must-read. Extremely well researched and authentic. Same with Kenneth Robert’s Northwest Passage and Arundel.   Edmonds also has a number of short stories of the period in a volume titled In the Hands of the Senecas that are great as well.  Also, Alan Eckert’s 6 volume series The winning of America is good. He calls it a Historical Narrative...there are no fictional characters in them, but he writes them like novels and they are a fun read. His history is a bit lacking, which he admits in later years, but in my early 20’s in the early 1970’s, they tripped my trigger and launched my 30 year obsession with studying/gaming the US Eastern woodland Indian Wars 1675–1832 to the exclusion of almost all other periods. So I have a soft spot for him, lol.

King Philips War novelized in any of the above?  Looked for that also, but couldn’t find anything interesting. 

And thanks for these recommendations. I will definitely read some of these. 

Your most welcome! I have never read any fiction about KPW, just historical. I have a vague recollection of encountering some way back, but nothing specific. Googling will no doubt find you something.  Well, not 1675, but 75 years earlier—and I little farther north—Black Robe is a good read. Made into an excellent movie in about 1983 or so.

dkchapuis,

April Morning, by Howard Fast. Read it long ago, but it was absolutely gripping.

https://www.amazon.com/April-Morning-Novel-Howard-Fast/dp/0553273221

As a directly related aside, back in my elementary school days when things were generally safe and sane, we had a dude, a New Yorker who wore cowboy boots, bring in a real Revolutionary War flintlock musket musket (with bayonet) for show and tell. Apparently, his parents owned an old farm in upstate New York, and this treasure was found in the barn. Was singularly fortunate to be able to handle this historic weapon briefly. Of course, such a glorious event (starting with simply bringing it to school) would be totally verboten in all particulars these days.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler