BFC - Time to Rethink the 'Roadmap'?

3 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Wonder if they are looking at a modified "Star Citizen" model - players have to buy individual units and packages and getting access to all features costs a lot more $.

I would not think so.  That does not seem to be Battlefront's style. 

I wonder if they'd consider monetizing the TOE?

Want a Tiger? Pay a buck. 

Oh, you want another? Pay another buck.

Keep at it until you collect the entire battalion! Then, you can unleash them on your opponent in a QB.

(Everyone starts with a halftrack and a platoon.)

Just a CMx3 thought...

;)

1 minute ago, Bulletpoint said:

And if the Tiger gets destroyed, you have to pay again for a new one.

in some games, you have to by "Insurance" that covers your in-game losses - otherwise they are permanent and you have to buy the units all over again.  (Check out "Star Citizen" for example.)  Am dead serious... 

15 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Also, each soldier costs 1 cent.

I wonder how that would change the way people played these games?

Well, you'd have one or two rich guys who would have an entire Panzer division to unleash on the guys who could only afford a platoon of stragglers.

Michael

Edited by Michael Emrys

Oh! Oh! They can also do the really new hip thing in monetization:

Paid save slots! Yes, that's a thing!

Each extra save slot/pbem slot you get will cost 5 COINs.

"Your artillery barrage will arrive in approximately 7 minutes..."

"Would you like to get it in 3 minutes, by spending 10 COINs?"

Edited by DerKommissar

2 minutes ago, Michael Emrys said:
18 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Also, each soldier costs 1 cent.

I wonder how that would change the way people played these games?

Well, you'd have one or two rich guys who would have an entire Panzer division to unleash on the guys who could only afford a platoon of stragglers.

Well the idea was that games are still balanced by points, so the playing field is equal, it's just that you have to pay for the losses ...

Never mind speculating about a new engine, been waiting what is it five years now? and we don't even have snow in CMRT....Offt seriously getting hacked off. And what will the CMRT module give us...ss, Luftwaffe, just a different uniform. Some obscure late war German vehicles, (lot's of scope there} and a couple of tanks for the Soviets . Also considering that urban combat is the weakest part of the engine, and that's being generous. I think a massive map of Berlin falls into the "why" box . Oh and at last but not least...snow on the eastern front, yup great idea but in the words of Neil Young's Ohio  "should have been done long ago" .  Sorry but if that's what is offered after what a 5/6 year wait, then the timeframe needs to be redrawn. Now over to the fanboys...you know who you are.. well we do.

Cheers.

52 minutes ago, FlammenwerferX said:

Wait, but is CM3 more than just speculation at this point? 

Earlier in this thread Steve referred to a CM3.  Also Steve from BFC said the below in a different thread which I'm paraphrasing: 

Eventually we will have a new game engine.  Obviously it will be written with contemporary technology in mind and won't be OpenGL as we view it as a dead end.  It will also benefit from 20 years of experience with how best to simulate tactical warfare on a computer.  It's only a matter of when, not if.   

Link to full statement below:

2 minutes ago, sonar said:

Never mind speculating about a new engine, been waiting what is it five years now? and we don't even have snow in CMRT....Offt seriously getting hacked off. And what will the CMRT module give us...ss, Luftwaffe, just a different uniform. Some obscure late war German vehicles, (lot's of scope there} and a couple of tanks for the Soviets . Also considering that urban combat is the weakest part of the engine, and that's being generous. I think a massive map of Berlin falls into the "why" box . Oh and at last but not least...snow on the eastern front, yup great idea but in the words of Neil Young's Ohio  "should have been done long ago" .  Sorry but if that's what is offered after what a 5/6 year wait, then the timeframe needs to be redrawn. Now over to the fanboys...you know who you are.. well we do.

Cheers.

I feel ya, man. I'm hoping for more love for the Eastern Front, but it's rare that American companies treat it as anything but a side-show. Most yanks want D-day ad-absurdum, and supply has to meet demand. This being said, eastern front games are more common these days -- thanks to more eastern devs localizing and selling on international storefronts. We got an entire game dedicated to snow on the Western Front, though -- if you like snow.

This being said, I'm quite excited for RT module. Hoping for Polish Home Army, First Polish Army, Royal Hungarian Army and maybe some of the more "unique" SS units.

I think CM2 engine is well suited for the Vistula-Oder offensive.

2 hours ago, Sequoia said:

Not necessarily. CMSF was the first game of CMX2. IIRC the team wanted to go somewhere different after dwelling in WWII for years.

Well, Fulda Gap or an Arab Israeli war would be a cool opening game for CM3 and would get my vote.  :)

Up above (page 2, I think) Steve from Battlefront said, "Whenever CM3 comes into being, whatever Western Front game we have for it will most likely outsell all the others (by far). 

I guess the Western Front game could be the second or third release for a CM3  and not the first ............?  However, not sure what the odds of that is.     

1 hour ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Well, Fulda Gap or an Arab Israeli war would be a cool opening game for CM3 and would get my vote.  :)

Up above (page 2, I think) Steve from Battlefront said, "Whenever CM3 comes into being, whatever Western Front game we have for it will most likely outsell all the others (by far). 

I guess the Western Front game could be the second or third release for a CM3  and not the first ............?  However, not sure what the odds of that is.     

Or... Western Front of WWIII. It is after all the Western TVD vs the Western Powers. How much more West can you want? 😀

2 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Earlier in this thread Steve referred to a CM3.  Also Steve from BFC said the below in a different thread which I'm paraphrasing: 

Eventually we will have a new game engine.  Obviously it will be written with contemporary technology in mind and won't be OpenGL as we view it as a dead end.  It will also benefit from 20 years of experience with how best to simulate tactical warfare on a computer.  It's only a matter of when, not if.   

And there is this, as far as OpenGL goes too:

2 hours ago, sonar said:

Cheers.

Well that is certainly one way to try and be part of a discussion. Go straight to jerk mode.  What I like is how you determine what we should or should not have without any statement as to what resources or cost should be  hell I think CM should be VR already with me being able to sit in the role of commander IN the battlefield. Damn it it is 2018 BF what the hell is wrong with you?  By the way are you rich? Why not?  There was a lottery worth a billion dollars here all you had to do is win  geez man . . .  Slacker  

Signed: a fanboy

back to the jerks. You know who you are, we all do 

A lot of good posts here and we seek many things.  For my two cents I love the graphics and admire those who are smart enough to make them. Having said that I look for playability too.   I really don't care if helmets don't have chin straps or the pistol holster is on the wrong side or if the shoulder patch isn't quite historically correct.  I want vehicles that go around corners without stop pivot move stop pivot move etc..  I would like to see, in the WWII games, all of the equipment from CM1 into CM2. But I do like the products and will continue to purchase them.

31 minutes ago, sburke said:

What I like is how you determine what we should or should not have

Really..Ha, along comes one of the self appointed forum commissars..so predictable. Oh and the only Jerk on here is the sound of your Little fanboy chain being jerked. 

2 hours ago, HerrTom said:

Or... Western Front of WWIII. It is after all the Western TVD vs the Western Powers. How much more West can you want? 😀

:D And we can call it Fulda Gap!!!  :lol:

1 hour ago, Ultradave said:

And there is this, as far as OpenGL goes too:

Yep, looks like the days of OpenGL are numbered.  Also it seems from the link that Apple may not really be fan of gaming.  I'm afraid that may not bode well for our Mac friends.    

16 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Also it seems from the link that Apple may not really be fan of gaming.

That's no surprise. Apple tipped their hand on that issue 20 years ago. They relented just a little after Steve Jobs returned to the firm, but now that he is gone the anti-gaming party has complete control. It seems like a curiously irrational position to take, but there it is.

Michael

1 hour ago, sonar said:

Really..Ha, along comes one of the self appointed forum commissars..so predictable. Oh and the only Jerk on here is the sound of your Little fanboy chain being jerked. 

talk about predictable.  Typical internet based macho BS as you post more than likely from your parent's basement.

And before you try a snappy come back I'll have you know I get to post from the dining room!! okay yeah I admit we don't have a basement.. or an attic...or a garage, but still I get the dining room!

Edited by sburke