IED's PLEASE EXPLAIN

Can someone explain how to get these to work. Not having owed SF1 and now playing with the demo for SF2, 

I have no clue as to how to get these to explode.

Some clear instructions as to how to get them to blow when the enemy is on top of them would be nice.

So far, watching the enemy drive over the top of them and not having the activated unit blow is not fun.

Select the IED, then draw a target command:
Target the ground nearby to activate it and the triggerman will try and detonate it whenever something gets close enough.
Target a specific enemy unit and the triggerman will try and detonate it when that unit gets close.

Bear in mind that if the triggerman is a potato, can't see, is suppressed, dead or generally unable to push the button, nothing will happen.
There are also Blufor electronic countermeasures to bear in mind: the British Warriors in Breaking the Bank definitely have little ECM sets on them that may- or may not- prevent IEDs from being detonated.

This is a quick, dirty video explanation which I would embed if I could remember how:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXwfJbSag1g&feature=youtu.be

Note that the triggerman is a green and -1 leadership potato.

Edited by Hapless
Added video

55 minutes ago, slysniper said:

Can someone explain how to get these to work. Not having owed SF1 and now playing with the demo for SF2, 

Below is my current IED drill: 

1. Click on IED combat order Target to activate IED1.

2. Click on ground to Target first OpFor to pass or click on specific OpFor unit2.

3. Check that triggerman is in range3.

Notes: 1)Radio triggerman needs LOS to IED to activate during game but not during setup. 2)For small & medium IEDs OpFor must enter the A/S to detonate for large & huge OpFor must enter adjacent A/S. 3)Triggermen needs to spot OpFor by IED to detonate.   

And some general notes on IEDs:

There are four sizes of IED: small, medium, large & huge. There are three types of IED: Wire 100m, 10% failure / Radio 300m, requires LOS to activate, 20% failure / Cell phone 600m, 10% failure. IED teams consist of the bomb and the triggerman.  To work the IED must be activated and the triggerman in range (if radio LOS also) and not panicked with an undamaged trigger device.  If this criteria is met when the triggerman observes OpFor enter the Action Spot (adjacent AS for huge or large device) the device will detonate.  (The triggerman will not detonate the IED unless he can spot OpFor next to it.)  An IED can be activated and detonated by any triggerman.  Example: A Wire triggerman can activate and/or detonate a cell or radio IED.  Any IED triggerman needs to be within 300 meters and LOS to activate a radio IED during the game and during setup.  Any IED triggerman needs to be within 100 meters to activate a wire IED during the game and during setup.  Any IED triggerman needs to be within 600 meters to activate a radio IED during the game and during setup.   

Have a BLAST!! :D

Thank You so much,

So maybe I have been having a little bad luck plus my lack of knowledge on what makes them work.

See if I get a better results the next time I have these.

Really did not need them in the battles I played, but beating the AI is not really a good test.

Need to have this down pat for using against opponents that bring a real challenge

They're unreliable, but tremendously powerful - very much a distuptive technology.

To add to the above - VBIED come with a car, a driver and a spy. The spy doesn't have anything to do with the VBIED, he's just there as a recce unit to find potential targets.

VBIED seem to have the same ability to hide in civilians that combatants do, but I need to test that more fully.

They don't require activation, just roll up adjacent the target and they'll explode.

• 7 months later...
2 minutes ago, Schmoly War said:

If I have several triggermen together with a bunch of IEDS at the setup phase, how do I know which triggerman belongs to a certain IED?

Doesn’t matter. But I believe the type of triggerman may matter for the type of ied.   Radio controlled versus cell phone etc. 

51 minutes ago, Schmoly War said:

If I have several triggermen together with a bunch of IEDS at the setup phase, how do I know which triggerman belongs to a certain IED?

An IED can be activated and detonated by any triggerman.  Example: A Wire triggerman can activate and/or detonate a cell or radio IED.  Any IED triggerman needs to be within 300 meters and LOS to activate a radio IED during the game and during setup.  Any IED triggerman needs to be within 100 meters to activate a wire IED during the game and during setup.  Any IED triggerman needs to be within 600 meters to activate a cellphone IED during the game and during setup.  In editor mode an IED can always be activated. 

1 hour ago, sburke said:

But I believe the type of triggerman may matter for the type of ied.   Radio controlled versus cell phone etc.

Nope, any old kind will do.....And you can never use too many:

Ram4Lpg.jpg

84gAGvq.jpg

Boom!  :P

They can also be quite useful:

6dsCZVN.jpg

dhkm3SF.jpg

PS - These are special effects created with various IEDs & VBIEDs for use in fairly cataclysmic scenarios (my 'Shock-Effect' format as @Erwin calls it).....Both are (to date) 100% reliable and self-cleaning, no IEDs remain in either instance and all of the triggermen remove themselves in the latter variant too (it also really does clear mines, mostly).  :D

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead