Bil's Floating Icon Mod

I know there have already been a few of these released, but thought I would show a preview of what I have been toying with...

These are based on the US Army's FM 101-5.1 .... with a little license taken to make them clear at any distance.

This image is an overview of the first AAR map I was playing with @Baneman.. yellow are FOW icons of course.  

Overview-01.png

This set includes special colors for each nation... 

...in this image I have selected a Bradley Platoon, which if you remember was playing red in this action.  The icons remain the color I chose for the US side (Infantry Blue) while selected.. they will be red when not selected.  

US+as+Red.png

FOW icons showing a selection of different unit types... very easy t tell them apart.  All nations use the same FOW icon set... so no clues as to nationality until you fully ID a unit.

FOW-ICONS.png

The following image illustrates Syrian infantry.. also note the Blue infantry.. that is one of Baneman's irregulars and was on Blue.. Ihave included an inset of that icon selected, showing that when playing blue, Syrian units will highlight green.

Red+Infantry.png

BMP-3 (with one infantry unit selected) showing the darker red Syrian highlight:

Red-IFV.png

On the blue side...highlight insets show a British vehicle (khaki) and a German IFV (gray)...

IFVs-+Selected+States.png

And finally, the overview I started this post off with, but with one US Platoon highlighted...

Overview-02.png

Coming soon.. probably this weekend.  Just need to run them through some thorough tests.

Bil

Edited by Bil Hardenberger

4 minutes ago, domfluff said:

Oh yes, I'm aware of why you did them that way :)

Bulk-changing things like saturation with irfanview or something should be pretty simple - when you release the mod I'll give it a poke and see if there's a setting I'm happier with.

Sounds good... when you find a setting that pleases you, send it to me and I'll post it on my blog as "domfluff's Variant", if you agree of course.

Bil

7 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

Looks great Bil! I especially like the OpFor icons. I’ll likely mix and match your icons with IanL’s as I am quite fond of his BluFor icons. 

Thanks for posting these!

Heh, I can't imagine mixing the two as they are quite different in style.. but to each his own.  ;) 

I have completed my first iteration of these icons, please download them and give them a try.  

There are two versions:

War Movie Mode Icons - these are brighter so they look better when playing in War Movie mode.

Standard Mode Icons - (the @domfluff Variant) these icons are saturated versions of the original and look superior to the in-game screenshots I originally posted.

Note:  There are two vehicles, the British Sultan and Spartan that are not working right now.. but this is a BETA version.. I will update the links when I get the issues ironed out.

Standard Mode Version:

Normal-01.png

Normal-02.png

War Movie Mode Version:

War_Movie-01.png

War_Movie-02.png

Edited by Bil Hardenberger

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/27/2018 at 10:31 PM, Bil Hardenberger said:

Note:  There are two vehicles, the British Sultan and Spartan that are not working right now.. but this is a BETA version.. I will update the links when I get the issues ironed out.

Temporary Quickfix :
- rename "icon british blue light armor 1.bmp" and "icon british blue light armor 2.bmp" to "icon blue ltv 1.bmp" and "icon blue ltv 2.bmp".

While these files are in the Shared folder, the Spartan/Sultan are the only vehicles actually using it though, as far as I can tell.

(Thank you @Mord for your Dealership scen pack by the way)

Great work @Bil Hardenberger, the shapes helps a lot to tell who's where when it's crowded.

1832ecbab496a00e9ed26642e0d3f63d.png

BilsCMSF2iconsB01_BritTempFix.zip