G4/Combat Mission are FUBAR?

Help me someone, alert sounds (window collapsing, trash emptying sounds) all work but when I play combat mission THERE IS NO SOUND.

Replaced the sound files in the game.

Replaced the sound sprockets for my computer.

Did a complete system restore for my G4.

Is there a key command in the game for sound that I may have inadvertantly hit at some point???

Hey, I going crazy over here - someone in the know put me out of my misery!

Thanks,

Steve (buddy)

You musta got the politically correct version recently mandated under the Accessibilities Act, Section 505, of the ADA, for the hearing impaired smile.gif

------------------

"Wer zuerst schiesst hat mehr von Leben"

Moto-(3./JG11 "Graf")

Bruno Weiss

[This message has been edited by Bruno Weiss (edited 10-30-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Bruno Weiss (edited 10-30-2000).]

sure this belongs to the tech forum but since this is here.. anyone notice the game sometimes slows down on the G4?? some pbems run smothly at home on my 6500/300 mac, but at work here on the G4 it sometimes chokes.. I hear shooting explotions but the screen is frozen till the 60secs are up.. whats up with this?

-------

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mensch:

. . . but at work here on the G4 it sometimes chokes . . .

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know about anyone else, but I have a hard time feeling ANY sympathy for someone who has problems while playing CM at WORK! wink.gif

Jealousy rears its ugly head.

------------------

Homer: [gulps] I suppose you want to probe me. Well, might as well get it over with. [unzips his pants]

Kang: [disgusted] Stop! We have reached the limits of what rectal probing can teach us.

[This message has been edited by Four Stringer (edited 10-30-2000).]

i have G4 but never had problems like that (fortunately). maybe slowing down has something to do with background tasks (like e-mail programm) trying to run under CM?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Four Stringer:

I don't know about anyone else, but I have a hard time feeling ANY sympathy for someone who has problems while playing CM at WORK! wink.gif

Jealousy rears its ugly head.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hehe.. no no don't get me wrong.. lunchtime and after work.. and I stick by that story as long as I still have 9 and a half fingers..hehehe...

--------

Der Kessel Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by mensch (edited 10-30-2000).]

While we're on the subject, if anyone doesn't know yet, SoundSprocket 1.0 is better than 1.7.1 where Combat Mission is concerned – more info in my old post here. (The URL in the CM 1.05 ReadMe is outdated.)

mensch wrote:

> anyone notice the game sometimes slows down on the G4??

As always, the potential causes of such behaviour are myriad. Maybe there is a problem with G4s in general, or maybe it's just your machine. Best to go through the same old routines – allocate more RAM to CM (assuming you have RAM to spare); quit other running applications; switch off File Sharing; rebuild your Desktop File (hold down Command-Option when you're booting up, just before the Finder loads); defragment your hard disc using Micromat Techtool or Alsoft Diskwarrior or Norton Utilities; sacrifice a few chickens to the Gods of Technical Gadgetry; repeat ad lib.

David

button.gif

Incidentally, here's something to consider if you're absolutely insane, feel a burning need to get blazingly good audio on a mac, and have a bunch of money blazing a hole in your pocket. Whether this will actually work with CM, I have no idea, but in my experience it has made a noticable improvement in the sound quality of other games.

Before I traded in my Mac 7600 (16 mb ram, anyone? 1.1 gig HD?) for a PC laptop, I was running a semi-professional digital audio/midi sequencer suite called Digital Performer. To make this work, you needed a professional-quality soundcard with at least a 24-channel out. I ran this through a midi interface to a mixing board, and into a pair of powered speakers.

There are very few games that are designed to offer up to 24 channels of audio, but good god, the sound was phenomenal.

Bear in mind that all this (soundcard, mixer, powered speakers) will set you back quite a ways unless you can get it used. But like I said, if you're absolutely insane...

Oh, another nice feature was being able to tweak relative volumes directly on the mixer. Think something should be louder, and have more bass? Couldn't be simpler. I'd also note that the opening music from Civ 2 sounded unbelievable freaky pitch shifted down an octave, run through an analog synthesizer, phase delayed, and looped.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

[This message has been edited by Chupacabra (edited 10-30-2000).]

Wild Bill Wilder wrote:

> Very nice website, David!...

Thanks!

Chupacabra wrote:

> Bear in mind that all this (soundcard, mixer, powered speakers) will set you back quite a ways unless you can get it used. But like I said, if you're absolutely insane...

Now where did I put my credit card...

------------------

Somewhere between a joke and a conspiracy

No slowdowns with my G4 and now thanks to David Aitken the sound is really good with sound sprokets 1.0!!

Hope the boss doesn't mind the sound...oh thats right, I work from home smile.gif

David, I agree on Wild Bills statement of "nice website". I also like your professional site, looks like you do some good stuff.