Memory & Max Units

r6751

The manual doesn't mention maximums for the number of units in a scenario.  I've run into freezing the game when creating a huge battle with 2 reinforced battalions per side. Anybody have more information?  When I say two reinforced battalions, I am talking about the reinforcements being elements of the same battalions, arriving later.

I begin with a company and over 7 reinforcements I introduce the rest of that battalion and several more companies from two others.  There are also a platoon of tanks or destroyers, some artillery, and perhaps an air unit per side.  To get through the battle, I've had to remove all jeeps, trucks, and other vehicles that are not armed. I have deleted the supply units. I also save every turn so that I can continue when restarted.

My computer has 8 Gigs of RAM and a Nvidia 7xx video card with 2 G memory.  It is strong enough. I think the issue is in the programming, as the game sets up a set amount of memory to work with - within the Windows OS. 

The problem is that it is difficult to determine where the limits are. Your size is about where my machine cannot handle things any more either. Less capable machines will give up before that. Also it is possible to create a scenario with reinforcements where if you fight hard and take / cause lots of casulties the game will play all the way through but if you go slow and try to build up your forces oops the game cannot handle it.

The engine programming is certainly a big part of the limitation and for now we have to live with it. The game is 32 bit but compiled as large address aware - which means that on a 64bit OS the game can access the full 4Gb of addressable space.

If you keep the forces down to around 3 battalions total - 2 is even better - you will likely be able to play that and so will the majority of others.

4 hours ago, r6751 said:

My computer has 8 Gigs of RAM and a Nvidia 7xx video card with 2 G memory.  It is strong enough. I think the issue is in the programming, as the game sets up a set amount of memory to work with - within the Windows OS. 

You don't mention your HD.  However, an SSD can make a big difference.  I've had good experiences upgrading older systems with fast 1 TB and 2 TB SSD's.  

If you really want to go huge with an 8Km x 4Km map and Regiment/Brigade TF + on each side you still need to playCM1's CMAK.  However, my hope is that by the time CM3 is developed, huge maps and formations will be possible.  The only downside is that the workload to play such a huge scenario using the much more detailed CM2 engine (vs CM1) also becomes huge.

Super, chaos49, thanks.  Hope you get to the finish too.  Let me know what you think of the battle.  I know it isn't Holland, terrain wise, but a good fight.

I wish they just let you pick any date during the war and stop forcing or limiting what can be designed.

My comment was meaning that my map was not intended to be any specific place in Holland, historically accurate.  It is just a map.

It is for Battles for Normandy with the added modules.  My comment about the dates was prompted by a wish to have date options that could be any month during the year, hence summer or winter weather.

Normandy battles started in June and Holland battles were in winter/spring. Presumably we should be able to reflect battles in France, Holland, Germany, Belgium, and so on.  

There are many other wishes with respect to my gaming, such as having troops able to pick up a better weapon on the field. (crew with just pistols) Also, a HQ unit should have a rally command to gather troops back into command range, or a rally point for troops to gather at when out of command. Engineers/pioneers should be able to lay mines.

Sorry, off topic a bit there.