CMSF2 Demo Tree's Investigation

37mm

I've been struggling with the CMSF2 Demo as per these post's here & here.

In general my system seem's to be really struggling with the tree's & foilage.

Investigating further I found out that my fully modded, reshaded CMRT makes about 10,000 "draw calls" and renders one frame every 87ms... very often CMRT runs even faster & smoother than this. Strangely I noticed no difference if the Tree's & foilage were visible or invisible or tree trunks only!

In comparison, in a similiar scene & on a similiar sized map, CMSF2 will make anywhere up to 28,000 "draw calls" & render one frame every 225ms. Changing resolution or game settings has a limited effect.

However turning tree trunks on has a massive effect and gets the "draw calls" back down to less than 10,000 & processing time to 67ms or less with smooth gameplay. Changing resolution or game settings continue to show a limited effect.

Does anybody have any idea what could be doing this?

I very much doubt it's a Battlefront thing & presume that my graphics card is interacting with the demo in some manner (GTX 1050 Ti) but nothing I've tried seems to help... it also seem's likely to me that whatever "the thing" that is effecting these "draw calls" is may be behind other customers complaints about "irratic frame rates".

Edited by 37mm

3 hours ago, 37mm said:

However turning tree trunks on has a massive effect and gets the "draw calls" back down

You mean turning foliage off? Because you can also turn the trunks themselves on/off.

3 hours ago, 37mm said:

Does anybody have any idea what could be doing this?

Guessing here, but it could be that the tree models in CMSF2 use more polygons, either because they are more detailed or less optimised.

Edited by Bulletpoint

1 hour ago, Bulletpoint said:

You mean turning foliage off? Because you can also turn the trunks themselves on/off.

Guessing here, but it could be that the tree models in CMSF2 use more polygons, either because they are more detailed or less optimised.

Yes, I mean turn the foilage off (the pics make that clear).

I didn't think Battlefront had changed the foilage models for CMSF2 but apparently they may have done as HerrTom has mentioned they are now "opaque" when he uses his "Ambient Occlusion" effects.

The tree and bush graphics appear similar to how they're rendered in CM Afghanistan, which is the oldest CM I ever played. They also show up in the depth buffer, thus allowing depth of field and ambient occlusion to use them. In CMBS and CMRT for example, they aren't in the depth buffer (I think it's because they have transparency). What this means for your frame rate, I can't say. I would think these trees would be faster, honestly!

I found that turning model quality to "balanced" improved performance significantly.

One other thing I did find out, by going through my graphics card settings one by one, is that "threaded optimization" slows down CMSF2 (with foilage) terribly, so make sure you turn it off... although I can't imagine why such a setting would have such an effect.