Demo Feedback

Erwin

In "Passage To Wilcox" noticed that the Bradleys fire their main 25mm gun even when ordered to TARGET LIGHT.

Also, it's possible to use the FIST to order more than one discrete fire mission simultaneously - is that correct?

Even tho' there is no indication that inf cannot cross the stream on the RHS of the map, they refuse to do so and insist on moving across the bridge.  

Edited by Erwin

There's four types of water in the game. 'Water' and 'reeds' which infantry cannot cross, 'deep ford' and 'shallow ford' which they can. Fords are spotted by the presence of gravel banks (and if you peer beneath the water you'll see a gravel surface). There's also 'deep marsh' which men cannot cross and 'marsh' which they can. An easy way to spot them is to move a movement waypoint over them, if it turns from the red no-go symbol to green symbol you've found your ford.

Very quick look last night. One thing I saw in the British scenario - When the Challenger 2 is selected, it's icon flashes from it's MBT icon to the IFV icon (when orange) and back again. The icon's do look a little different honestly. Something changed on this front?

Also the shadows over the building rooftops have lines/streaks running through them but that could just be my PC.

Noticed that even with the shaders option set to ON, they are automatically off when entering a battle, have to manually turn them on with ALT-R.

Noticed in the Alamo scenario, that when setting the TPz Fuchs trucks to open up they will only stay open for a few minutes or so, even without being fired upon or having any enemy contact so you have to keep telling them to open up to use the MG3's.

6 hours ago, Ithikial_AU said:

The icon's do look a little different honestly. Something changed on this front?

I think so. Right away in the US training mission I noticed that the binocs icon for FOs looks a little different. Haven't spent enough time with the game to know what else has changed, but will keep my eyes open.

Michael

I've got this dialog box while trying to launch the demo.

My screen resolution is 1920x1080. Ths "display size.txt" in demo folder shows "0 0 0", which I suppose means the resolution of the desktop. No idea how to fix it so far. 

Tried run with administrator and run using high-performance video card. Both doesn't work. Same dialog.

TIM图片20181018204028.png

Edited by melm

Aside from mentioned glitches others have mentioned- So far so good for me. Runs great. Highly recommended SSD drive if you don’t already have one.

Ill have to look into backup drives for mods to try in the Z drive.

Is it possible to load old SF scenario into the demo until full game is released?

Im on an Intel I7 CPU and 16 gigs of ram. I’m assuming if you get 32 or 64 gigs of RAM and running a 64 bit OS like Windows X this will use all available memory? This would make some of the humongous maps and battles run better I’m guessing. 

Some of the massive maps created for SF just wouldn’t work back then. But tbh I was on a less powerful machine and we still used non SSD hard drives and the graphics cards weren’t as powerful as today.

No graphical issues on my widescreen so far. Does this support 4K? 

Man this is a far cry from the original Shock Force roll out. You did the right thing by taking your time AND NOT releasing too early even if there was pressure to meet the pre announced late September date.

One other big notice...Norton AV doesn’t flag SF2 as a virus/malware. That was a huge PITA. This just installed and ran.

Edited by db_zero

21 minutes ago, db_zero said:

Im on an Intel I7 CPU and 16 gigs of ram. I’m assuming if you get 32 or 64 gigs of RAM and running a 64 bit OS like Windows X this will use all available memory? This would make some of the humongous maps and battles run better I’m guessing. 

No, it's a 32 Bit application.  So the maximum memory it can address is 4GB (on a 64 Bit OS)

Dug up my old Shock Force files from back up drive and freeking Norton scans it and flags old Combat Mission files as Trojans! Doubly happy that the new SF2 doesn't have that issue. The old mods are working fine so that good.

and yes the old scenarios are not working. I tried loading the old USMC Training range files and 3-10 to Yuma but they don't appear.

The weapons carried by US Army soldiers looked a bit dark zoomed out. Zoomed in it looked good. May just be a setting on my PC though.

Can't wait for the full release and the ability to load the already huge selection of stuff created is a big plus.

Edited by db_zero

2 hours ago, db_zero said:

Norton scans it and flags old Combat Mission files as Trojans!

I run all my CM games from a directory that has been white listed and is therefore ignored by my AV software. CM's DRM is flagged as suspicious by lots of AV programs but not enough of us play these games and the AV programs never bother to sort out their problems.

As I recall from a while back getting Norton to stop messing with Shock Force was not simple and even when you told it to exclude Shock Force .exe it wouldn't work and people were complaining to Norton about it. I just uninstalled it-it's free from my ISP and just used Defender that comes with Windows. Then I was able to play Shock Force.

I've been playing the demo and I''m not sure, but it seems like the peek from behind corners has been implemented? I hid a infantry element behind a building and 1 of the grunts looked around a corner and shot some enemy soldiers.

What's the best way to enter a building? In the training scenario I used the HUNT command to enter a building. 2 soldiers entered and immediately began engaging enemy infantry outside across the street. The rest of the soldiers stayed outside and never entered the building to engage the enemy. I waited a turn and still they did nothing. I finally have to use a MOVE command and the 2 soldiers who were engaging the enemy moved away from the windows stopped firing and turned around exposing their back while the other soldiers moved into the building.

Edited by db_zero

Beach Assaults are a blast. The Amtracs and seeing them move forward onto the beach and disgorge the Marines is very nice to watch. About the only thing missing from Day on the Beach is Cobra Strikes and Harrier strikes available on the second or third turn when the Amtracs appear. As already mentioned the Naval Gunfire Icons need to be fixed. I would also imagine that there might be a pre-planned smoke screen on the beach would be used to screen the incoming Amtracs? As I shown in the screenshot thread one of my Amtracts with vital command and FO units got taken out by a sagger. I did pop smoke but the Amtracs just moved right past it. I was moving them at Fast speed, so maybe I needed to slow them down.

Be nice to have LCACS to play with too.

I would like to see something like this implemented in Black Sea for both the USMC and Russia.

13 hours ago, SapperHarvey said:

Noticed that even with the shaders option set to ON, they are automatically off when entering a battle, have to manually turn them on with ALT-R.

I tried this and in the Mac version this happens with Passage to Wilcox and Alamo, but with the other scenarios, the shaders are on. This is true whether quitting and starting an new scenario in game or starting the game fresh and entering a scenario. Can you check whether your experience matches mine and is it on a PC or Mac?

Edited by Ultradave