Minor visual Obdervations

4 minutes ago, AlexUK said:

Oh, so we've lost the option for hiding near trees only, the rest of the trees keeping their foliage? I preferred that to the new version. Could we have the old version added to the cycle?

Apparently. They might have changed it because SF has unique trees that are much smaller than in the other games. In the other games you only get trunks without branches; near, then all, then no trees.

Mord.

CMSF1 had only the Trees On/Trees Off selection, and apparently BFC saw reason to leave it that way in CMSF2. Since this is v4, and the other CMx2 titles are already at v4, I don't think  the games are regressing on the  tree selection.

Edited by mjkerner

1 hour ago, sburke said:

They are an AT team not an FO and they (in RL) can’t just sit there using up the thermals 

It seems like there are three radios to a squad, it just seems odd that one isn't with the javelin when it is separated - is this how it would be in real life?

2 hours ago, AlexUK said:

the antitank team with the javelin .............<Snip> ......... are the best spotters (presumably thermal on the javelin).

I will sometimes have a FIST/FO team Acquire a Javelin launcher since the javelin sight provides significant spotting improvements over both the binoculars and laser rangefinder. 

1 hour ago, MOS:96B2P said:

I will sometimes have a FIST/FO team Acquire a Javelin launcher since the javelin sight provides significant spotting improvements over both the binoculars and laser rangefinder. 

Lol makes one wonder why BF goes through all the effort of doing such specific ToEs if even the vets do this sort of thing. 😀

10 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

It's still in there on my machine, if I understand you correctly.

Michael

Eek! See IanL's earlier post.

It's not on my mine. To be clear, the option Near Trees Off showed stumps for the trees nearby, full foliage for the ones further away. This is no longer available in the demo I'm running - is it available for you?

10 hours ago, IanL said:

No, CMSF2 has all three trees off / tree trunks in close / trees on. The tree trunk only is just more like no leaves for some of the free models. A three tree settings are there.

Are you talking about the demo? In my version there is only:

All trees on

All trees, no foliage, only skeleton (nearby trees are still full skeleton)

No trees.

14 hours ago, sburke said:

Forgive my ignorance, but was the TOW vehicle mounted?

question 2 is there a difference in battery usage on the two devices?

Tripod mounted. The Battlegroup had most of the infantry weapons co. but left the TOWs and .50's behind when out on patrol. The thermals on the TOW let us see if the Afghans in the fields at night were digging wells or ditches or placing IEDs. This was in the Canadian Army where fancy optics are less prolific, I'd guess the Germans may do the same.

Edited by DougPhresh

2 hours ago, AlexUK said:

This is what I mean (CMFI for example):

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XbbN5jS89YGLxKFK9

Hmmm, interesting. I think I have seen that, but not recently. I think it may depend on which game you are in and which species of tree is being depicted. I notice the ones in your pic look like they are in an orchard, and that's where I think I have seen them.

Michael

On 10/21/2018 at 8:48 AM, AlexUK said:

Ok, so it's a new thing then? The old option:

'tree base only close, other trees in full foliage' 

...has been dropped?

That was the option I played with normally, it would be good if it could be brought back.

OK I thought this was just an issue of the trunks had branches on them in SF2. I fired up a test and I can see that this is not working as expected - I am putting together a report now...