Demo crash

1 hour ago, Jock Tamson said:

I presume everyone in this thread is aware of the "Shaders On" crashing the game if you have Nvidia drivers newer than about December 2017 ?  There is quite a lot of detail in one of the other CM2 Technical threads.  Tends to happen after about 30 mins play.

Happens on a Mac though too, so I think it's something to do with the scenario.

2 hours ago, Jock Tamson said:

I presume everyone in this thread is aware of the "Shaders On" crashing the game if you have Nvidia drivers newer than about December 2017 ?  There is quite a lot of detail in one of the other CM2 Technical threads.  Tends to happen after about 30 mins play.

Thanks, I haven't heard of this. I am in fact using a Nvidia card. The thread is here for reference. I updated my drivers yesterday so we'll see.

2 hours ago, stikkypixie said:

Thanks, I haven't heard of this. I am in fact using a Nvidia card. The thread is here for reference. I updated my drivers yesterday so we'll see.

Strange. I encountered the crashing problem with CMBS a while ago, but managed to fix it by tweaking the Nvidia settings. However for the CMSF2 demo I haven't setup an nvidia profile yet and I am on the latest Nvidia drivers. So far no crashes and I have spend a couple of >1 hour sessions in the Alamo battle.

Edited by Lethaface

18 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

Strange. I encountered the crashing problem with CMBS a while ago, but managed to fix it by tweaking the Nvidia settings. However for the CMSF2 demo I haven't setup an nvidia profile yet and I am on the latest Nvidia drivers. So far no crashes and I have spend a couple of >1 hour sessions in the Alamo battle.

I changed my settings (yesterday) based on one of your older posts and it hasn't crashed on me at all.  Seems to look a little better too. I think I'm on the 398 drivers, have to check later.  I only had issues on the tutorial mission though.  I'll play that one again today and see if the issue persists.  If you can, maybe link that old settings post of yours in here (or did you already?).

Edited by aleader

1 hour ago, aleader said:

I changed my settings (yesterday) based on one of your older posts and it hasn't crashed on me at all.  Seems to look a little better too. I think I'm on the 398 drivers, have to check later.  I only had issues on the tutorial mission though.  I'll play that one again today and see if the issue persists.  If you can, maybe link that old settings post of yours in here (or did you already?).

Ok, nice if it seems to have fixed your problem!

I'm reluctant to link it as a solution, since I don't know if it fixes the problem people are experiencing. I am not having any troubles with the demo myself. Feel free to link to it if you still feel it has fixed your problems after your latest playthrough.

Also Hister explained that AA transparency above multisampe will create some visual effects, best change it to multisample.

MIne crashes too. In Wilcox, not just Alamo. No rhyme or reason to it that I can see. With or without shaders, with or without the suggested Nvidia settings. It's every other turn, more or less, only in command phase, and only when I'm moving the camera around. This doesn't happen in any of the other CM games (and I have them all). Odd. 

5 hours ago, Lethaface said:

Are your settings in the thread? I haven't had the time to go through it yet.

23 minutes ago, stikkypixie said:

Are your settings in the thread? I haven't had the time to go through it yet.

Yes: 

Although I don't think the AA settings have anything to do with it, at the time I was happy it seemed to have fixed the problem while looking good too.

Here is the backtrace of my crash:

00481248  mov         eax,dword ptr [edi+10h]  
0048124B  mov         ecx,dword ptr [eax]  
0048124D  lea         eax,[edi+1Ch]  
00481250  push        eax  
00481251  push        dword ptr [ebp+8]  
00481254  mov         edx,dword ptr [ecx] 

>    CM Shock Force 2 Demo.exe!00481254()    Unknown
     [Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for CM Shock Force 2 Demo.exe]    
     CM Shock Force 2 Demo.exe!0048628e()    Unknown
     CM Shock Force 2 Demo.exe!00482270()    Unknown
     CM Shock Force 2 Demo.exe!006de308()    Unknown
     CM Shock Force 2 Demo.exe!006de4b7()    Unknown
     [External Code]    
     CM Shock Force 2 Demo.exe!005302b1()    Unknown
     [External Code]    
     CM Shock Force 2 Demo.exe!005308bb()    Unknown
     [External Code]   

EAX    2E6FB984    
        ECX    00000001    
        EDX    00000000    
        EBP    0018FBBC    
        EDI    2E6FB968    

My crashing has stopped. Weird.  I can say, it wasn't, apparently, the presence of malwarebytes or windows defender - they make no diff. I lose track of the changes I've tried in the Nvidia settings, but those are the only things I've been messing with lately, so it's something in there. I can also say not the shaders issue, I think (though, of course, the shaders issue might only arise with certain combinations of Nvdia settings). I am playing now all settings maxed, shaders on, with most of lethaface's suggested settings as above in this thread. It runs smooth, no crashing anymore. I have no idea what change in the settings changed things. I'm happy though. 

We are investigating this.  My guess is there's a resource missing from the demo specific BRZs which Alamo seems prone to needing SOMETIMES depending on game circumstances.  When making a demo Charles removes tons of resources to keep the size as small as possible.  Unfortunately it's very tricky to do this without accidentally removing something that might be needed due to game circumstances.

During development we have debug code which makes this easy to catch, but for Demos that code is deliberately removed.  Charles can figure this one out now that we know where to look.

Steve

Hi All,

my demo is crashing everytime I want to start a battle (tried all scenarios). I get the loading screen saying "7% Allocate world" and then the application crashes. I downloaded the demo twice, installed it in different locations, changed all options to the lowest, disabled shader and tried to run with admin privileges. It is always the same behaviour. My computer specs:

Win7 64bit
Intel i5-4690K @3.5GHz
16GB RAM
nVidia GTX970 4GB
1TB SSD
nod32 Antivirus
Ultrawide screen montor 2560x1080 (I tried other resultions)

UPDATE: Problem solved itself after a couple of computer restarts

Edited by RexSaur

I had one crash reloading a saved game on Day at the Beach played in Turn based mode.  Happened once, didnt happen again.  Havent had any since, I did play with my shader settings but i cant remember if it was before or after since I usually turn them off anyways for the smoother frame rates.  

Not sure why, but for me it's the training battle that keeps crashing.  It crashes every single time (I've played through it 5 times now), randomly, WEGO or Realtime, doesn't matter.  I've changed my Nvidia settings, but that obviously hasn't solved it.  For what it's worth, I'm on Win 7/64, Nvidia 399.07 drivers, GTX 1060 3GB.

During my play-through of all demo scenarios, I had exactly one crash: In "Breaking the Bank", after about one hour of game time.

After restarting the game from the last save game, I was able to finish it without further problems.

Best regards;
Thomm

Edited by Thomm

On Mac, having crash issue on Alamo at turn 1:20 left to play - never gets to 1:19. duplicated many times. Started from scratch, reloaded saves, always just quits when hitting RED button when showing 1:20 left to play. I also have all other CM games and no issues. So...hope we find a fix. I did play through tutorial start to finish with no issues.

On 10/30/2018 at 1:40 PM, garywilliams627 said:

On Mac, having crash issue on Alamo at turn 1:20 left to play - never gets to 1:19. duplicated many times. Started from scratch, reloaded saves, always just quits when hitting RED button when showing 1:20 left to play. I also have all other CM games and no issues. So...hope we find a fix. I did play through tutorial start to finish with no issues.

What graphics setting are you using in CMSF2, I found that if I played on balanced it didn't crash. All the other scenerios I have so far played are ok on best setting?

• 3 years later...