Shock Force 2 Unofficial Screenshot And Video Thread

Mord

German SF2 campaign, first time playing as modern Germans.  I love the marder!  that 20mm gun is deadly and lots of ammo.  Sooooooo much better than Brit warrior IMO.  Haven't had a change to use the panzerfausts against armor yet, that should be fun.  In this battle I have to clear a large area of hostiles with lots of potentially advantageous ATGM locations for the enemy.  So I send the infantry forward with the armored vehicles below crest of a ridge.

Infantry spots T55 ~800m away.  Leopard does shoot & scoot 3X but can't spot.  Soldiers going bonkers pointing and yelling "he's right there, straight ahead, are you blind?!?!". 

tvV3uM3.png

Maybe 4th time is a charm?  Leopard crests ridge....

eUQEmna.png

spots....

KpSUgxf.png

and fires first

OLlleef.png

ouch

257tfh3.png

I really like the German side so far, some pretty good looking gear, though no javelins.  I bet they'd also look good in autumn foliage and winter snow in northern europe (hint hint hint)

On 10/24/2021 at 2:08 PM, danfrodo said:

German SF2 campaign, first time playing as modern Germans.  I love the marder!  that 20mm gun is deadly and lots of ammo.  Sooooooo much better than Brit warrior IMO.  Haven't had a change to use the panzerfausts against armor yet, that should be fun.  

I just recently started the German SF2 campaign as well.  Currently revisiting that one, Task Force Thunder, the British campaign and Task Force Narwick all at the same time.  I am playing the whole invasion, hehe.

Anyway, I really love the Germans as well and agree that the Marder is way is up there for me also.  That little 20mm autocannon has a hell of a bite as well as a bark. 3 or 4 all blazing away at once is something to see, and hear! The squad MG3 is also impressive (being basically still the MG42) and for their smaller squad size and vehicles they sure do have a LOT of firepower and I find them completely interesting to play.  I mean one platoon of Panzergrenadiers with their Marders can really lay down some hurt.  The modern panzerfaust, I think you will find, is also VERY effective in multiple situations.

After an hour of savage fighting the outpost remains in Imperial hands:

w2Eb3Bq.jpg

The air-cav are pinned down by superior forces awaiting the arrival of their mechanised bretheren, but they are still in reasonable shape as the sun is rising and a full squadron of BHIAF A-1 Skyraiders are now en-route.

Can the Skyraiders and the air-cav hold the communists back until the mechanised forces arrive?  :unsure:

TBH I genuinely have absolutely no idea and I've been working on this thing for months!  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been surprised many times by the lack of casualties from large IEDs in SF2 and bombs in the other games, even when detonating just next to pixeltruppen in the open or behind a wall that shatters (can't be pleasant to be shredded by concrete fragments). It is almost like CM doesn't simulate the blast shock wave (that will kill you or knock you senseless with concussion) and only shrapnel.

Setting off IEDs is one of my pet past-times in CM:SF2.  :ph34r:

I'm pretty sure it was the wall that saved them.....Strangely the blast left the interior wall of one building intact, but destroyed the interior wall of the adjacent building that was on the other side of it.  I think that wall may have been hit by an RPG that came through the window earlier. 

Considering all the explosions going off around them, my pixeltruppen are holding up remarkably well!  :D

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

3 hours ago, rocketman said:

I have been surprised many times by the lack of casualties from large IEDs in SF2 and bombs in the other games, even when detonating just next to pixeltruppen in the open or behind a wall that shatters (can't be pleasant to be shredded by concrete fragments). It is almost like CM doesn't simulate the blast shock wave (that will kill you or knock you senseless with concussion) and only shrapnel.

Yes, seems IED's effects are very mild especially when compared with relatively high % of friendly casualties from friendly fire - esp in urban assaults.  One experiences too many (IMO) friendlies when tank shells explode 50m-100m away.

• 2 weeks later...

I completed the first mission of Task Force Thunder tonight! Someday I want to do a full write-up based on the campaign, but for now I am still getting my sea legs with both Shock Force 2 in specific and Combat Mission in general. Here are some photos I took during the fighting!

US Army Combat Engineers begin their search for anti-vehicle mines at a Syrian border checkpoint while an M1A2 provides overwatch.

An immobilized Abrams from 1/B/TF Thunder provides overwatch as the rest of its platoon begins to push down Route Lightning.

A/TF Thunder progresses down Route Lightning following 1/B's M1A2s. An assault on the Syrian frontier fort is imminent.

With Stryker support, 1/A/TF Thunder begins its assault on the fort.

The immobilized Abrams watches over a quieting battlefield as dawn breaks.

4/1/A/TF Thunder provides suppressing fire with their M240s in the waning seconds of the battle.

A/TF Thunder's Fire Support Vehicle watches over the remains of the Syrian border guards.

The final positions - I had only begun to force entry into the fortress when the Syrians surrendered.

All in all, I'm very proud of the results. Only one killed and two wounded in exchange for 339 enemy casualties and eighteen destroyed tanks. Unfortunately, one of my Abrams has been de-tracked and another has had its turret-mounted M240 disabled by enemy fire - I'm hoping they'll be repaired by the time the platoon is called into action again...

Edit: Strange that these are in 1120x630 - I should be playing 1920x1080...

Edited by AngrySwan

3 hours ago, AngrySwan said:

Only one killed and two wounded in exchange for 339 enemy casualties and eighteen destroyed tanks.

Bravo!  B)

That would be a good result for an experienced player.

Don't expect the bad guys to surrender like that in all CM:SF2 scenarios.

We await you in the old city, infidel!  :ph34r:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

4 hours ago, AngrySwan said:

I completed the first mission of Task Force Thunder tonight! Someday I want to do a full write-up based on the campaign, but for now I am still getting my sea legs with both Shock Force 2 in specific and Combat Mission in general.

Good job and nice work!  I used pretty much all my artillery leveling the fort and trenches outside it. As the Americans you have tons of arty, use it!

6 hours ago, Phantom Captain said:

Good job and nice work!  I used pretty much all my artillery leveling the fort and trenches outside it. As the Americans you have tons of arty, use it!

I was using it rather judiciously, especially in the hopes of clearing out the AT mines via sympathetic detonation. However, I still missed a few - to the chagrin of my poor tank.

I've been curious how to better detect mines with combat engineers. They seem rather... bad at their job, in my experience.

7 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Bravo!  B)

That would be a good result for an experienced player.

Don't expect the bad guys to surrender like that in all CM:SF2 scenarios.

We await you in the old city, infidel!  :ph34r:

It was thanks to a good degree of save-scumming I'll admit, mostly in the final minutes as I tried to find the ideal path into the fortress. Getting breach timing right was key, and I think that took my team about 30 seconds to do, which I had an infantry squad follow in fifteen seconds later (would that it could have been more simultaneous...).

My hope is to someday be able to play the game with the confidence that comes with experience, and to let scenarios play without any degree of gaming on my behalf. I will say, though, that playing on Basic Training feels like a bit of a trap - builds bad habits, especially re: enemy spotting and support call-ins, so I've been playing on Warrior(?) instead.

Don't breach inward, breach along the face of the building or wall.....It's not 100% reliable, but it should stop your engineers entering a structure or compound. 

I place a covering squad (preferably with a LMG and lots of grenades) on the same spot as the engineers, then have my engineers Blast to the next spot along the wall and then Hunt back to their starting place.  This way if there's someone in there they get suppressed by the blast then hammered by the covering squad and then your engineers get to join in too, instead of charging straight into a hornet' nest.**

I'd recommend switching to Iron Mode and learning the intricacies of C2 in some detail (it doesn't make the game more difficult, but it does help you to learn who can see what and more importantly, who they are telling about it). 

C2 is everything in CM.....If your units know where each other are and are communicating properly they become orders of magnitude more lethal.

** The potential downside to this is that it doubles your casualties if a devious scenario designer had, for instance, placed a Huge IED against a wall that he knows you are likely to breach.  :unsure:

Come into the old city, infidel, we dare you!  :ph34r:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

50 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Don't breach inward, breach along the face of the building or wall.....It's not 100% reliable, but it should stop your engineers entering a structure or compound. 

I place a covering squad (preferably with a LMG and lots of grenades) on the same spot as the engineers, then have my engineers Blast to the next spot along the wall and then Hunt back to their starting place.  This way if there's someone in there they get suppressed by the blast then hammered by the covering squad and then your engineers get to join in too, instead of charging straight into a hornet' nest.**

I'd recommend switching to Iron Mode and learning the intricacies of C2 in some detail (it doesn't make the game more difficult, but it does help you to learn who can see what and more importantly, who they are telling about it). 

C2 is everything in CM.....If your units know where each other are and are communicating properly they become orders of magnitude more lethal.

** The potential downside to this is that it doubles your casualties if a devious scenario designer had, for instance, placed a Huge IED against a wall that he knows you are likely to breach.  :unsure:

Come into the old city, infidel, we dare you!  :ph34r:

Thank you so much for this! I'll be sure to keep paying a close eye on things.

And yes, I will be seeing you there soon, I feel - may the better commander win!

• 2 weeks later...