Shock Force 2 Unofficial Screenshot And Video Thread

Mord

8 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

Here are some images of a mod I'm working on. It's a reskin of the Syrian army to look the like the Sahrani Liberation Army (SLA) who were the OpFor from Arma: Armed Assault. It includes 2 model retextures as well, the ssh-68 Soviet helmet, and a green beret for the SLA special forces known as the Especas.

It's brilliant!  I could really use some alternative Syrian textures for red v. red scenarios.  Please release it!  (Soon 🙏).

9 hours ago, mjkerner said:

Hold on there, Pard. You can add 3D models to the game, and you got a guy that makes them???  Boy, have I got a list....

18 hours ago, Sequoia said:

Do I understand correctly you added a beret to the game?

If you use the mod tools by @sbobovyc posted here you can manipulate some of the 3D models in Blender: 

I've tried it myself but I don't have enough experience using Blender or doing any type of 3D modelling work to make anything halfway decent. @Saint_Fuller does however, and graciously made both the ssh-68 helmet and beret for me for the mod. Its also important to note that these models replace existing models, they are not added.

10 hours ago, Rokossovski said:

It's brilliant!  I could really use some alternative Syrian textures for red v. red scenarios.  Please release it!  (Soon 🙏).

Thanks! I'm still not quite done working on it yet. There are a few odds and ends that need finishing, and I'm still trying to  see if there is any way to make the beret texture less shiny, though so far I haven't had any luck with that. I'm also debating adding roundels to the SLA vehicles. The original SLA vehicles from Arma 1 didn't have any markings, but I thought it could be a cool way to add a bit of flavor. Though adding the roundels is a bit of a headache. I can only add them to flat surfaces on the vehicle textures, otherwise they get warped. This means I cannot add them to the turrets of vehicles, which is where I think they would look the best unfortunately. 

Edited by IICptMillerII

1 hour ago, IICptMillerII said:

Its also important to note that these models replace existing models, they are not added.

So, my guess would be one of those models is Reserve and one Guards/Airborne/Special Forces?

Mord.

23 minutes ago, Mord said:

So, my guess would be one of those models is Reserve and one Guards/Airborne/Special Forces?

Mord.

The base infantry SLA replaces both the reservists and regulars (which include the republican guard formation) and the only SF assets that are replaced are the special forces to represent the Especas. Everything else is untouched.

In Arma the SLA only operate BRDMs, BMP-2s, and T-72As, so I mostly stuck to retexturing Syrian army assets that used that equipment. 

1 hour ago, waffelmann said:

Hi,

did you try to use a beret-model from CMN? These should be not so shiny!

Greetings, alex

I might try this if I'm not able to sort out the beret textures I'm working with, though I don't think the model can be imported from CMBN. Worth a try though.

Thanks Cpt. Miller!  I had checked out sbobovyc's thread but like you, I'm just not that experienced to want to even attempt to tackle 3D models.

@Rokossovski:  I'm working on texture mods for Syrians, among others.  Here are some screen shots of preliminary (that is, slapped together very quickly, lol) tests of some camo for African troops. I have a lot of camo patterns I'm planning for various nations/rebels/etc., and there will be some specifically for Syrians.  But the skins are separate from the uniforms, so they could all be used for Syrians.  With Cpt. Miller's mods and I'm sure a lot of other modders, you should have plenty to choose from! 

lizard%201.png

lizard%202.png

34 minutes ago, waffelmann said:

I think rather one model for reserve/mech/guard/airborne and one for special forces...

Reserve has it's own uniforms and helmet. Mech/Guards share a uniform and helmet, Airborne and Special Forces have their own uniforms and helmets.

Mord.

12 minutes ago, waffelmann said:

I know this thread and I follow it with great interest, but I think we have a misunderstanding. I wrote about the models, not the textures!

Ah! DUH! I gotchya! Yep! Sorry! LOL.

Yeah, it screws up the model swapping. I tried mixing the Combatants with Reserves and all it did was change all the Reserves to weird looking Combatants. I wrote about the non existent hex editing in the Civil War thread I think.

But at least we have this. It's better than nothing.

eJgCRVo.jpg

EDITED: Here's the post

"Textures, yes, depending on how different the models are. Model swaps absolutely can't be done. I spent a good four hours or so the other day dicking around in the hex editor eyeing up the Syrian mds files. Charles locked them down hard. @Blimey reported this waaaay back when BS came out but I wanted to see what was what for myself. The Brain some how tied ALL the Syrian soldiers into a single set of mdses. ALL their codes point to lines entitled "placeholder uniform" "place holder skin" place holder boots".  The old mdses had a set for each soldier type and their code would point to something like "syrian reserve soldier" "syrian reserve uniform" etc. In effect there is no way to trick the mdses because every single file, no matter what it is, says "placeholder uniform" etc. The only reason Mikey pulled off that weapon swap was because the weapons files hadn't been screwed with."

LOL. I got so excited with CptMiller's mod I confused myself.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

33 minutes ago, mjkerner said:

I'm working on texture mods for Syrians, among others.  Here are some screen shots of preliminary (that is, slapped together very quickly, lol) tests of some camo for African troops. I have a lot of camo patterns I'm planning for various nations/rebels/etc.,

Nice job. The faces look good too.

Mord.

50 minutes ago, waffelmann said:

I made a quick dirty test (for example no chinstrabs-masking ) and it worked...

Greetings, alex

Good to know! I'll give that a try the next time I get a chance to work on the SLA.

@mjkerner those skins look great! I especially like the tiger stripe one.

As far as additional Syrian army skins go, I have a few that I've been playing around with for a while now. I tend to like the idea of creating skins that represent generic OpForces as I am much more interested in force on force conventional fighting than I am in insurgencies. Heres one of the skins I'm pretty fond of:

http://i.imgur.com/yTiuOyT.jpg

yTiuOyT.jpg

Edited by IICptMillerII

42 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

So if I understand correctly then, Mord missed something when he said model swaps are not possible?

Not necessarily. There are a few exceptions, like weapons and flavor objects. but you can't take Muj from CMA and get them into SF2 if that's what you're hoping for. There's no way. Read my quote of myself above, it'll explain it. I am not exactly sure what was needed to be done with the beret but whatever it was it won't work with cross game models like soldiers. I'd love to be wrong. But I don't see how it could be done without completely hacking the code. But ANYONE is welcome to prove me wrong! I'd be thrilled if they did. BUT whatever they did it wouldn't be the old way of hex editing. Anyway, I'd kill to get the MUJ to take the place of the Uncons.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

Okay, thanks Mord. Sorry to doubt you. Actually I had heard that Snowball had taken a lot of shortcuts with their models in CMA and wasn't thinking of swapping the entire Muj soldier model, just the headgear. A better choice now might be having Capt Millers friend making Afghanistan looking headgear if he's willing.   Poor guy might get swamped with requests.

34 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

Okay, thanks Mord. Sorry to doubt you. Actually I had heard that Snowball had taken a lot of shortcuts with their models in CMA and wasn't thinking of swapping the entire Muj soldier model, just the headgear. A better choice now might be having Capt Millers friend making Afghanistan looking headgear if he's willing.   Poor guy might get swamped with requests.

No need to apologize. I thought you might be going in that direction but then the head gear would have to be for the Special Forces because then EVERY body else (Mech, Reserves, Guards, Airborne) would be wearing it. It's a complete conundrum. It wouldn't work with the Uncons because they don't have any helmets. It's a Gordian knot and we can't cut it as far as I can see.

The key to all of this is locked up in those mdses somewhere.

EDITED: Or come to think of it maybe not. I think they rewrote it so that you don't need separate models for separate textures.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

16 hours ago, mjkerner said:

Thanks Cpt. Miller!  I had checked out sbobovyc's thread but like you, I'm just not that experienced to want to even attempt to tackle 3D models.

@Rokossovski:  I'm working on texture mods for Syrians, among others.  Here are some screen shots of preliminary (that is, slapped together very quickly, lol) tests of some camo for African troops. I have a lot of camo patterns I'm planning for various nations/rebels/etc., and there will be some specifically for Syrians.  But the skins are separate from the uniforms, so they could all be used for Syrians.  With Cpt. Miller's mods and I'm sure a lot of other modders, you should have plenty to choose from! 

lizard%201.png

Now if those dudes had berets/ski caps, FN-FALs and MAG-58 I'd call them the Rhodesian African Rifles. Give 'em some white faces and they'd be the Rhodesian Light Infantry. I could certainly do a mission or two recreating some of the external raids towards the back end of that war. Once I finish my Cassinga scenario of course … for which FN-FAL, MAG-58 and SA browns would be a really nice addition.

Yeah, that's lizard camo used by the Rhodesians.   (I need to shrink it a bit and move the camo template around a bit so those brown areas aren't so large and dominant.)  White faces are no problem, just rename one of the NATO forces skins (but I suspect you knew that, lol).  It's the weapons that are the problem.  That's why I wish I knew how to utilize sbobovyc's utility for 3D model making.  I have a looooong list of 70's-90's weapons for SADF, Rhodesians, IDF, etc. 

Edited by mjkerner