CMSF2 Release Update

8 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Crunch time sucks under any and all circumstances.  Crunch time right before major Holidays sucks 10x worse.  Even though we don't have corporate masters forcing us to work 100 hour weeks without extra pay, it's still not ideal ;) 

Take all the time you need as far as i'm concerned. I would also speak, if only for myself, that I would be willing to stomach higher prices for your games. 

If any member of the team is not making enough money to support a comfortable life then as far as i'm concerned you all should be. 

All systems have their pros and cons.  It's one of the universal truths, just like everything that tastes fantastic makes us fat or knocks time off our life clock (as it is Thanksgiving today, I'm about to prove that point ;) ).  There's a ton of pros to the system we have of making games.  Most of the pros are things you guys can not appreciate unless you work in a super high pressure project based environment.  The big pro for you guys, of course, is that we keep making games that nobody else is interested in making or capable of bringing to market. A related pro is we can keep packing stuff into the game that normal game companies would nix to keep things on time and on budget.

The con is things take longer because the same detachment from the pressurized corporate bean counting mentality also means nobody is forcing us to work 80-100 hour weeks, on top of the usual 50 hour weeks, for the same pay to get the game out "on time" and "on budget".  I once calculated my hourly rate as a product manager in the corporate gaming world and it came out to be less than starting wages at a Burger King.  I am NOT kidding.  Only an insane person puts a gun to his own head and starts making demands (or a really funny one... Blazing Saddles!). We are many things, but insane isn't one of them.

In the spirit of today's US holiday, I am thankful that you guys continue to support us making the games we all want instead in a way that is healthy and sustainable for the long haul.  It's a special thing we got going here and we promise to do our part to keep it going.

Now I am taking advantage of the pro of being self employed and logging off for the day knowing all is well and our collective wait to get CMSF2 out the door is nearly over.

Steve

1 hour ago, Battlefront.com said:

I once calculated my hourly rate as a product manager in the corporate gaming world and it came out to be less than starting wages at a Burger King.  I am NOT kidding.  Only an insane person puts a gun to his own head and starts making demands (or a really funny one... Blazing Saddles!). We are many things, but insane isn't one of them.

From what I heard talking to friends who currently work as devs in the gaming industry, this seems to be the case. One of my friends works in QA, and that is even worse. I've heard working for Rockstar is the worst, because they take charge of your personal life. They'll tell you if they want you to break up with your significant other or threaten to fire you if you decide to have children. It's a sadistic industry, staffed by very dedicated and self-less workers.

I'm just glad I don't work in that industry. Have a good American thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving to you & the whole team!  All I need to know is when it's time to give y'all more money for your fine efforts.  'til then I still have lots of battles yet unfought.  I am celebrating today by trying to oust the enemy from a village in Hammer's Flank, episode 3.  😀

Quoting blazing saddles is racist! ;)
I love that movie, watched it probably 100 times.
The Sheriff is.*DIONG! ..er
Ahh, the Sheriff is near..
Or the song before QUICKSAND!!!!!
*hold it Hold it!

Take your time, but next time - add two months to your estimation.
From Sweden, keep up the great work!

After you get a rest--maybe Korean war....? or vietnam? :D
I love the smell of napalm in the morning!...ohh..thats my wife..