CMSF2 Demos Released!

5 minutes ago, BornGinger said:

It seems the units still have oil or grease on the soles of  their shoes and not able to run properly or quick enough.

Well, an animation is played in the model independently of its actual movement on the map.
Animation and movement are not syncronized, for this reason, it looks somehow strange.
In Combat Mission it seems the animation is related on the movement-order of the unit, while its speed is depending on the terrain where it is moving. While it might look correctly on a street tile, the movement looks strange in the forest or in a march.

On October 17, 2018 at 11:29 AM, VasFURY said:

Hey Guys - the text on the menus and the briefings is very pixellated and hard to read - I remember this issue used to occur way back in the previous titles as well.

Anyone figure out how to force a higher resolution on the menu, and the game itself? The highest I get is 1280x800, but I have a 4k Laptop Screen. When I select desktop resolution option, it still shows me really pixellated graphics within the game. 

I haven't downloaded the demo yet, but on CMSF1 and I think CMBN, if you double-click on the game folder, you'll see a "display" folder. If CMSF2 has that same file, open that file, it's a text file, the top line is your display resolution. Change the numbers to resolution you want, e.g. 1920 2160 0 for my 4K, and save. That works on Windows only, and as I said, I don't know for sure if CMSF2 uses that same display file. The available display resolution selections really need to be updated. They haven't been changed since CMSF1 released. Another way is to have your desktop set to the res you want in the game, and just select "desktop." Turning off the FXAA on my NVIDIA GTX1080 and 1080ti cards (two different computers) has always eliminated the pixelations for me.

Edited by Vet 0369

12 hours ago, SippyStraw said:

Figured its probably time to "be social" and make myself known here lol. My F5 support group. I've got some catching up to do, with some of yall having over 16000 posts lol.

Yeah, I'd say 11 years is enough lurking! Well, I hope you decide to stay on the participation side of things. It's good to get new people on the board to keep it fresh. We've got a lot of active and retired military guys here so you have that in common too. Be careful on patrol/duty and have fun with the game when you get the time to play.

Mord.

Are you kidding me!

Now that I installed "7-Zip" for uncompressing the .rar file, I have to find out that the new demo comes as a .zip!?!

Shocking!

By the way, under Windows 10 the default "Save under" file name is the following one:

CMSF2%20Windows%20v200%20DEMO.zip,

which looks kind of weird.

Best regards,
Thomm

PS: How can I switch off the auto-correction that keeps changing small into capital letters?

Edited by Thomm

3 hours ago, Vet 0369 said:

I haven't downloaded the demo yet, but on CMSF1 and I think CMBN, if you double-click on the game folder, you'll see a "display" folder. If CMSF2 has that same file, open that file, it's a text file, the top line is your display resolution. Change the numbers to resolution you want, e.g. 1920 2160 0 for my 4K, and save. That works on Windows only, and as I said, I don't know for sure if CMSF2 uses that same display file. The available display resolution selections really need to be updated. They haven't been changed since CMSF1 released. Another way is to have your desktop set to the res you want in the game, and just select "desktop." Turning off the FXAA on my NVIDIA GTX1080 and 1080ti cards (two different computers) has always eliminated the pixelations for me.

Oops! I made a typo in my instruction. The "Display Settings" is a file, not a folder, and a 4k display resolution is 3840 2160 0. Those Display files are also in in all the other CMXX folders, so you can change them for all your games, and not have to change your desktop resolution. I"ve changed all mine to 1920 1080 0 for all my games because it's hard for me to read the tiny text.

Edited by Vet 0369
typo

8 hours ago, Vet 0369 said:

Oops! I made a typo in my instruction. The "Display Settings" is a file, not a folder, and a 4k display resolution is 3840 2160 0. Those Display files are also in in all the other CMXX folders, so you can change them for all your games, and not have to change your desktop resolution. I"ve changed all mine to 1920 1080 0 for all my games because it's hard for me to read the tiny text.

Thanks Vet - your tip helped me sort out the pixellation and the blurry text!

However, I still feel that my game doesnt run that well performance wise. Im on an Alienware 17 R4 Laptop, with a super fast processor, 32 GB ram, Geforce 1080 GTX card, and the game still seems like it loses frame rates whenever I try to move the camera across the map on the Germans defence scenario. Ive set the trees to low, but it doesnt really help. I Tried forcing the GTX 1080 in Nvidia control centre, but I am not sure that it is actually the card that the game is selecting, because it SHOULDNT be lagging at all with the system specs that I have. 

Can someone talk me through the whole process of dedicating the GFX card to the game, and what other steps I can take in order to ensure that the game is being run while utilising the full extent of my system? These small microstutters and frame lag is really annoying me and ruining the experience which I was really looking forward to. 

I used to have CMBS on an older much slower laptop, and that ran flawlessly...

FEEDBACK ON THE DEMO:

The demo is absolutely great! I'm enjoying it so much! Finished the Alamo scenario yesterday and now playing the marines landing on the beach:

Flashes and tracers blitzing everywhere! It's so AMAZING!  Having so much fun - this is probably one of the best weekends in my life! 😄

TECHNICS:

I'm running the demo under Windows 10 in resolution 2560 x 1600,  with no problems. The game and models are looking great!

Machine: i7 - 7700 CPU Quadcore, 3.6 GHz, 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 1050 Ti. 💻 

Just an honest, not too overpowered, average machine that does the job very good, bought for under 1000.00 Euros on Amazon.

DREAMING OF THE FUTURE:

Hopefully there will be a Shock Force 3 one day, another HYPOTHETIC war scenario, of course, but based on/inspired by the events in Syria (plus Iraq) from 2011 - 2018 with Russians, Americans + other NATO countries, several Islamistic Rebel Factions like Al-Nusra etc.,  Syrian Army, Turks, Kurdish Peshmerga etc. There could be endless modules.

I also would like to have more modules for CMBS (especially NATO), because modern warfare, today's armoured vehicles and weapon systems are the OBER HAMMER! 😉 😃

Edited by Shorker

Hi Folks!

I've got several CM titles and love them. I've got CMSF and have been very excited about CMSF2 - and tried the demo last night. It was a training scenario where US forces had 4 Strykers as I recall and had to take an objective while leaving the mosque undamaged if possible (I am just describing the scenario from memory in order to give as much data as possible).

Anyway - it was great!

I only have one puzzle. I am not sure if this has been around for a while or if it is a new feature, but something happened which I have never experienced before in any CM title.

Apologies if this has been discussed already or if I have missed it in the manual!

I used the US forward observer to call in some serious non-mortar (howitzer perhaps?) artillery and all was well, the rounds were pouring in, but I decided to cut the fire mission short and so issued the command to cease fire. The FO radioed "Check fire!" to the boys with the big guns and... no reply...

The display showed, if I recall correctly, "Cease Fire" or something like that on the (off map) artillery graphic in question, so the program certainly knew what the FO had asked for, but there came no acknowledgement and no "End of fire mission" confirmation.

And... the rounds kept pouring in for a good long while. It all looked like the artillery had somehow not got the message.

I don't know... is this simulating something new? Is it a new feature? Is it possible that a request to "check fire" can be missed or ignored? And if so - what affects the chance of this happening?

And help is greatly appreciated!

CMSF2 is SPLENDID!

56 minutes ago, JeffPreston said:

Hi Folks!

I've got several CM titles and love them. I've got CMSF and have been very excited about CMSF2 - and tried the demo last night. It was a training scenario where US forces had 4 Strykers as I recall and had to take an objective while leaving the mosque undamaged if possible (I am just describing the scenario from memory in order to give as much data as possible).

Anyway - it was great!

I only have one puzzle. I am not sure if this has been around for a while or if it is a new feature, but something happened which I have never experienced before in any CM title.

Apologies if this has been discussed already or if I have missed it in the manual!

I used the US forward observer to call in some serious non-mortar (howitzer perhaps?) artillery and all was well, the rounds were pouring in, but I decided to cut the fire mission short and so issued the command to cease fire. The FO radioed "Check fire!" to the boys with the big guns and... no reply...

The display showed, if I recall correctly, "Cease Fire" or something like that on the (off map) artillery graphic in question, so the program certainly knew what the FO had asked for, but there came no acknowledgement and no "End of fire mission" confirmation.

And... the rounds kept pouring in for a good long while. It all looked like the artillery had somehow not got the message.

I don't know... is this simulating something new? Is it a new feature? Is it possible that a request to "check fire" can be missed or ignored? And if so - what affects the chance of this happening?

CMSF2 is SPLENDID!

Mortars can be fired quite quickly and are very high angle weapons, so after calling "Check Fire" there can be a fairly large number of rounds already in the air that have yet to impact. Time of flight can be up to 50 seconds or so depending on the range and the size of the mortar.

Real life example from the 82d Abn. As a FIST Chief we were calling mortars danger close, and the rounds were gradually walking back towards us. Called "Check Fire" and got the reply "Rounds Complete".  Which meant exactly as I described - 20 or so rounds still to impact. We fell back. What had happened was the mortar baseplates were grinding into soft ground causing the tubes to elevate slightly (and therefore bringing the rounds closer). The crew hadn't noticed the change, which was pretty slight - but with close rounds, it made a BIG difference to us up front.

57 minutes ago, Ultradave said:

Mortars can be fired quite quickly and are very high angle weapons, so after calling "Check Fire" there can be a fairly large number of rounds already in the air that have yet to impact. Time of flight can be up to 50 seconds or so depending on the range and the size of the mortar.

Real life example from the 82d Abn. As a FIST Chief we were calling mortars danger close, and the rounds were gradually walking back towards us. Called "Check Fire" and got the reply "Rounds Complete".  Which meant exactly as I described - 20 or so rounds still to impact. We fell back. What had happened was the mortar baseplates were grinding into soft ground causing the tubes to elevate slightly (and therefore bringing the rounds closer). The crew hadn't noticed the change, which was pretty slight - but with close rounds, it made a BIG difference to us up front.

Your Real Life example ... with 20 or so rounds still to impact is very sound reason to FALL BACK. 👍

You description regarding the game is what I experience as well....rounds already in the air that have yet to impact.

Buzz

Thanks for the information about mortars - much appreciated!

I just started the scenario again as a test and it is indeed 120mm mortars - and once again I particularly noticed that the artillery unit did not acknowledge the request to cease firing, which is why I was asking, as I have never experienced this before.

The rounds continued to fall for 1 minute 52 seconds after my FO called "Check fire" and got no reply. (Same as last night).

In the end the artillery radioed: "End of mission - out."

Steve, Casio et.al,

Been a few too many years since I was active on the boards or behind the scenes but there's pretty much not a day goes by that I don't make a PBEM move with my ol' mate across the Pacific - I counted the other day that we've been playing around 10 years or so. Anyway, just wanted to say a big congrats for CMSF2, just downloading the demo right now and looking forward to getting stuck into it. I remember getting the original CMSF 1 demo on a disc with Australian PC magazine and playing that for weeks before I found a Paradox CD copy in a bargain bin in my local PC store. And indeed the rest is history. As I recently said to my PBEM mate, there's been some dark days/weeks/months over those years - as I'm sure a lot of you perhaps have for many different reasons, and sometimes the only thing I did in the day was send a move over the sea. So, just simply thank-you for CMSF1 [and CMBS] and bloody well done for getting CMSF 2 out - stoked! All the best for the launch! 

23 minutes ago, missinginreality said:

Steve, Casio et.al,

Been a few too many years since I was active on the boards or behind the scenes but there's pretty much not a day goes by that I don't make a PBEM move with my ol' mate across the Pacific - I counted the other day that we've been playing around 10 years or so. Anyway, just wanted to say a big congrats for CMSF2, just downloading the demo right now and looking forward to getting stuck into it. I remember getting the original CMSF 1 demo on a disc with Australian PC magazine and playing that for weeks before I found a Paradox CD copy in a bargain bin in my local PC store. And indeed the rest is history. As I recently said to my PBEM mate, there's been some dark days/weeks/months over those years - as I'm sure a lot of you perhaps have for many different reasons, and sometimes the only thing I did in the day was send a move over the sea. So, just simply thank-you for CMSF1 [and CMBS] and bloody well done for getting CMSF 2 out - stoked! All the best for the launch! 

and just a PS after a quick play - freakin excellent EXCELLENT work folks - top quality - I mean, I loved CMSF1, this is pudding on the cake :) And my ol' wall-jump animation is still in there! Haha awesome. Touched :)

On 10/20/2018 at 6:24 AM, VasFURY said:

Thanks Vet - your tip helped me sort out the pixellation and the blurry text!

However, I still feel that my game doesnt run that well performance wise. Im on an Alienware 17 R4 Laptop, with a super fast processor, 32 GB ram, Geforce 1080 GTX card, and the game still seems like it loses frame rates whenever I try to move the camera across the map on the Germans defence scenario. Ive set the trees to low, but it doesnt really help. I Tried forcing the GTX 1080 in Nvidia control centre, but I am not sure that it is actually the card that the game is selecting, because it SHOULDNT be lagging at all with the system specs that I have. 

Can someone talk me through the whole process of dedicating the GFX card to the game, and what other steps I can take in order to ensure that the game is being run while utilising the full extent of my system? These small microstutters and frame lag is really annoying me and ruining the experience which I was really looking forward to. 

I used to have CMBS on an older much slower laptop, and that ran flawlessly...

What sort of frame rates are you getting?  I would expect 20 to 30 on that kit, on Best settings.  Over the years I have had GTX 580, 680, 980 and now 1080.  It makes little odds, it is the CPU that has the biggest impact.  I think your CPU turbos up to 3.9Ghz, which is middling.

3 hours ago, Jock Tamson said:

What sort of frame rates are you getting?  I would expect 20 to 30 on that kit, on Best settings.  Over the years I have had GTX 580, 680, 980 and now 1080.  It makes little odds, it is the CPU that has the biggest impact.  I think your CPU turbos up to 3.9Ghz, which is middling.

Hey Jock, Im getting around 30-35 fps, irrespective of whether I have the BEST settings switched on, or the poorest. The worst are the micro-stutters when moving/panning the camera.

Its just weird, given that CMBS ran much smoother on my older laptop-machine (was an Aorus 17, with a GTX 980). 

You mention that it may be the CPU bottlenecking the whole thing. This is my processor unit: Intel Core i7-6820HK @ 2.70 GHz.

Ive tried running the game while overclocking the CPU, but still the problem persists. 

Its just really strange, given the fact that the system is more than capable to run other AAA games AND wargame simulations without any hiccup, and yet CMSF-2 is taxing it so heavily. 

Anyone has any thoughts in respect of performance improvement?

27 minutes ago, VasFURY said:

Hey Jock, Im getting around 30-35 fps, irrespective of whether I have the BEST settings switched on, or the poorest. The worst are the micro-stutters when moving/panning the camera.

Its just weird, given that CMBS ran much smoother on my older laptop-machine (was an Aorus 17, with a GTX 980). 

You mention that it may be the CPU bottlenecking the whole thing. This is my processor unit: Intel Core i7-6820HK @ 2.70 GHz.

Ive tried running the game while overclocking the CPU, but still the problem persists. 

Its just really strange, given the fact that the system is more than capable to run other AAA games AND wargame simulations without any hiccup, and yet CMSF-2 is taxing it so heavily. 

Anyone has any thoughts in respect of performance improvement?

Ok, so that particular CPU boosts up to 3.6Ghz.  I would regard 30-35 FPS as ok, in that context.  Basically the performance is CPU limited, for all of us.  It runs on a single core, so the faster the better.  You might notice the stutters less if you use Nvidia Inspector to limit the frame rate to 30, and set vsync on.  You will get fewer peaks and troughs.

Be thankful it isn't Scourge of War Waterloo - I get FPS in the teens at times and that is with a 8600K @5Ghz and a GTX 1080 !

Edited by Jock Tamson