Shock Force 2 Beta Showcase Video

They were being strafed by an Apache.  Trenches are actually worse than open ground when it comes to that sort of attack.  When you're in open ground, lying prone, the explosive and shrapnel effects are not contained.  Inside a trench it's not so nice.  Plus, in a trench the targets are nicely lined up, scattered around in the open makes getting hit less likely.

Remember, CM's trenches are not reinforced types with extensive overhead protection.  Therefore, guys in trenches are sitting ducks for an Apache, A-10, or similar platform.

Steve

8 hours ago, Cobetco said:

thank you for communicating even when BF wont

4 hours ago, c3k said:

It would not have been posted unless BFC gave an explicit direction for it to be posted. You have misinterpreted this. It is, indeed, a communication from BFC. Indirect, but still...

@c3k is right. The only reason this video was possible was due to the very kind efforts and approval of both BFC and forum members.

5 hours ago, domfluff said:

Tons more detail on those T-72s. Not sure if these are one of the now-not-hypothetical "future" models they were talking about.

Not sure if the BMPs are hit by a Precision artillery mission? Excaliber was used in Iraq in 2007, so it's early, but not too early, I suspect. High rarity, probably.

Are those *six* men Bradley squads?

1) The T-72's seen are the T-72M1, and the T-62's are the T-62MV.

2) Those are hellfire missiles from an Apache. I tried to set it up so you hear the call for the attack from the JTAC in the BFIST Bradley. The Apache used it's hellfires and unguided rockets against the infantry in the trenches as well.

3) As @sburke pointed out, they are engineers

5 hours ago, domfluff said:

I'm assuming the static armour positions are still just built with map geometry, rather than being a fortification type

That is correct. I created those in the scenario editor using elevation. They are not a fortification type. That said, they are pretty easy to make and effective as well. 

3 hours ago, Kaunitz said:

Very protective trench at 04:41. 🤐;)

See point 2 above. Hellfires are top-down attack munitions and are very accurate and lethal, negating most of the cover of a trench.

1 hour ago, ncc1701e said:

Where was the Tunguska? 😏

Behind the line of T-72's. Unfortunately both were knocked out before they had a chance to fire at anything!

15 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

Folks, remind me please. Isn't there something about troops being deeper in the trenches than they appear to be? That said, if one does "hide" in trenches they offer a lot of cover.

See point 2 above.

13 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

They were being strafed by an Apache.  Trenches are actually worse than open ground when it comes to that sort of attack.  When you're in open ground, lying prone, the explosive and shrapnel effects are not contained.  Inside a trench it's not so nice.  Plus, in a trench the targets are nicely lined up, scattered around in the open makes getting hit less likely.

Remember, CM's trenches are not reinforced types with extensive overhead protection.  Therefore, guys in trenches are sitting ducks for an Apache, A-10, or similar platform.

Steve

Oh crap, who left the door open?  c3k!!!!  I told you not to let him out of the basement and anywhere near the forum until after release!

1 hour ago, Battlefront.com said:

Steve

Thanks for the answer!

Sure, if something lands a direct hit into the trench, the result should be horrible. The question is how often stuff should hit the trench. 

I don't know anything about all those modern munitions, but I suppose that a helicopter should have relaitvely easy time to hit the trench (angle/trajectory not as good as for arty/mortars, but closer to the target?). 

Edited by Kaunitz

59 minutes ago, Kaunitz said:

I don't know anything about all those modern munitions, but I suppose that a helicopter should have relaitvely easy time to hit the trench (angle/trajectory not as good as for arty/mortars, but closer to the target?)

The hellfire is a laser guided missile capable of striking its targets using a top down attack profile. In Afghanistan it was heavily used as an anti personnel weapon, targetting cave entrances, emplaced positions, machine gun nests, etc. Check out the wiki page for a lot more information on it. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGM-114_Hellfire

2 hours ago, rocketman said:

But what does it sound like? Chirp, chirp ... ?

No, and it would no doubt get drowned in any ambience mix since it's so low in pitch.

https://www.hbw.com/ibc/species/52760/sounds

If you wanted an ambient background sound that included birds it would have to change with terrain. Urban, arable, semi-desert, desert, coastal the bird sound would change, since the common species depend on the local habitat in terms of food and nesting.

Looking at this list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_birds_of_Syria there are plenty of species that are also extremely common and prominent in Europe from the CMBN to CMRT region: Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Long Tailed Tit, Eurasian Wren, Dunnock, Eurasian Blackbird, Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush, European Robin (NOT the US one), Chiffchaff, Wood Warbler, Eurasian Jay, Eurasian Jackdaw, Eurasian Magpie, Carrion Crow, Hooded Crow, Rook, European Starling, Yellowhammer, European Greenfinch, European Goldfinch, Chaffinch, House Sparrow, Eurasian Skylark, Sand Martin, Common House Martin, Common Swift. That's mostly Passerines, leaving out things like waders, ducks, geese, gulls, owls etc.

25 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

The hellfire is a laser guided missile capable of striking its targets using a top down attack profile. In Afghanistan it was heavily used as an anti personnel weapon, targetting cave entrances, emplaced positions, machine gun nests, etc. Check out the wiki page for a lot more information on it. 

Oh I see! Thanks!

24 minutes ago, Harry Speakup said:

No, and it would no doubt get drowned in any ambience mix since it's so low in pitch.

https://www.hbw.com/ibc/species/52760/sounds

If you wanted an ambient background sound that included birds it would have to change with terrain. Urban, arable, semi-desert, desert, coastal the bird sound would change, since the common species depend on the local habitat in terms of food and nesting.

Looking at this list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_birds_of_Syria there are plenty of species that are also extremely common and prominent in Europe from the CMBN to CMRT region: Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Long Tailed Tit, Eurasian Wren, Dunnock, Eurasian Blackbird, Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush, European Robin (NOT the US one), Chiffchaff, Wood Warbler, Eurasian Jay, Eurasian Jackdaw, Eurasian Magpie, Carrion Crow, Hooded Crow, Rook, European Starling, Yellowhammer, European Greenfinch, European Goldfinch, Chaffinch, House Sparrow, Eurasian Skylark, Sand Martin, Common House Martin, Common Swift. That's mostly Passerines, leaving out things like waders, ducks, geese, gulls, owls etc.

I just hope if we get dead cows, it will be the right kind of cow or the game will be broken!

2 hours ago, Sequoia said:

I just hope if we get dead cows, it will be the right kind of cow or the game will be broken!

Naah, it's just immersion. The same as the correct uniform or tank model for a particular campaign region, albeit on a far lower scale for this genre, since the grogs won't care. As always ignorance is bliss.

29 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

Seriously though, I always wanted an ocean sound background sound mod for some of the Marine Scenarios.

An ocean sound as a background wav sound would be easy enough, there must be enough freely available sounds online to pillage for samples. The problem with one sound for all ambience is if you fight inland and move the map away from a sea and are still hearing the same ocean background waves lapping on the shore sound, and it just doesn't sound right.

Just teasing Harry. I'm a birder myself. What the barely heard birdsong is in the background is not something I pay attention to when playing though. I'm also into Astronomy and though having the correct Moon phase and time of Sunrise and Sunset for a certain scenario based on date can be important, I don't pay attention to the Constellations even though they are in fact correct. I think that was a feature Battlefront added from a Third Party program. I'm also in the Dairy Industry, and so far Battlefront has had pretty much the right kind of dead cows. :) If not that would be easy to mod. Someone did do a Normandie breed of dead cow for CMBN which was an even better fit for that game. :)

19 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

Just teasing Harry. I'm a birder myself. What the barely heard birdsong is in the background is not something I pay attention to when playing though. I'm also into Astronomy and though having the correct Moon phase and time of Sunrise and Sunset for a certain scenario based on date can be important, I don't pay attention to the Constellations even though they are in fact correct. I think that was a feature Battlefront added from a Third Party program. I'm also in the Dairy Industry, and so far Battlefront has had pretty much the right kind of dead cows. :) If not that would be easy to mod. Someone did do a Normandie breed of dead cow for CMBN which was an even better fit for that game. :)

I'm a bit of a birder too, the CMBN birdsong doesn't fit well at all, unfortunately. 

It would be cool to have the soundtrack change depending on where you place the camera.

2 hours ago, AlexUK said:

It would be cool to have the soundtrack change depending on where you place the camera.

That was originally planned when they were first making SF. MadMatt dropped that throwaway bone in a comment once. No one seemed to catch it but me. The gist was scenario designers were gonna be able to assign wav files to certain spots on the map that would trigger when you moved the camera/troops near it. Water would trickle, a dog could bark etc. And that was the one and only time I ever heard it mentioned. But SF1's release was so screwed up that I am not surprised. LOL. We didn't even have water, so.

It would be cool though. They could do a couple types. One that would loop and always play when you are near the spot and one that plays a single time only.

Mord.

7 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

And the cannon is very accurate as well.  Not round for round, of course, but very small areas can be saturated with fire very effectively.  In open ground it's amazing how often you see an individual surviving a strafing run with the rounds impacting all around him, but in a trench?  It's going to be a mess.  Rounds impacting inside a trench are going to break up rocks and other things.  Wounds from secondary effects are way under appreciated.

The only good defense against them is to keep them from getting to their target areas.  Once there, it's not going to be pretty.  Apache camera footage is easily found on YouTube.  I recommend taking a look.  It's eye opening. 

Steve

2 hours ago, Mord said:

That was originally planned when they were first making SF. MadMatt dropped that throwaway bone in a comment once. No one seemed to catch it but me. The gist was scenario designers were gonna be able to assign wav files to certain spots on the map that would trigger when you moved the camera/troops near it. Water would trickle, a dog could bark etc. And that was the one and only time I ever heard it mentioned. But SF1's release was so screwed up that I am not surprised. LOL. We didn't even have water, so.

It would be cool though. They could do a couple types. One that would loop and always play when you are near the spot and one that plays a single time only.

Mord.

Funny I missed all that.  I was away from most PC gaming for a while and missed the release of CMSF.  Didn't come around to it until a year after release and didn't pick up the Marines module until several months after they released it.  I luckily missed most of the nonsense on the forum etc 

Edited by sburke