So, I'm new and I'm wondering which game would be right for me, between Shock Force and Normandy; here's my perspective:
World War 2 has much more declassified material on it, making it easier to study and use for advice on tactics, roleplay, and scenario creation, with a lot of varied equipment and combat doctrines. On top of that, WW2 combat was much slower paced compared to today, which may or may not translate to game mechanics, but seems like it could lead to some fun, hair raising situations on the battlefield. 

When it comes to Shock Force, it seems more immersive, being able to relate to the modern equipment that's being used and that you have available, however, information is still rather classified, so unless you just want to recreate missions from Steel Beasts and other things, that seems as close to active combat as we can simulate, so Im not sure how accurately a Niger campaign can be made.

So, this is my own personal perspective about things, and what is personally important to me when I look for games like these. I would love your guys' advice!

38 minutes ago, Mousie said:

So, I'm new and I'm wondering which game would be right for me, between Shock Force and Normandy; here's my perspective:

Im not sure how accurately a Niger campaign can be made.

Both games are excellent and have a ton of content.  I lean towards CMSF since it has VBIEDs, IEDs, spies etc.  CMSF1 had many mods that made scenarios possible in different areas of the world.  It will probably take awhile but moders will also create modes for CMSF2.  Below are screenshots from two scenarios set outside of CMSF1's intended area of operation: 

Accurate scenario of a portion of RL operation Barras. 

C1Wa1Zdh.jpg

Scenario in a fictional African country.

fm01us9h.jpg

55 minutes ago, Mousie said:

When it comes to Shock Force, it seems more immersive, being able to relate to the modern equipment that's being used and that you have available, however, information is still rather classified, so unless you just want to recreate missions from Steel Beasts and other things, that seems as close to active combat as we can simulate, so Im not sure how accurately a Niger campaign can be made.

it is 2008, 10 years old so classified isn't so much an issue.  Lots of info on tactics available.  Lot more first person accounts available for fighting in Iraq. Really comes down to if you want modern or WW2.  CMSF content wise probably has more than CMBN if not a very close second.

Just now, Raptorx7 said:

If you're going to get Shock Force wait for Shock Force 2 which is coming out soon!

I was on the checkout screen when you sent this! XD Do you know when SF2 is coming out? It's kind of the "end of september" currently, and not many days left where you could still have that as an ETA

Just now, Mousie said:

I was on the checkout screen when you sent this! XD Do you know when SF2 is coming out? It's kind of the "end of september" currently, and not many days left where you could still have that as an ETA

Cross your fingers for September, hopefully we'll have the demo at the very least by the end of this month so you can try it out before you buy!