Source for current Libyan civil war

What exactly are you looking for or what is your intent? For instance are you looking for stuff to make a scenario/campaign out of or is this for study purposes or are you looking for general backgrounders to broaden your knowledge. I've always found in my career that the best place to start in any form of research is to ask yourself the question 'What exactly am I looking for?'

11 hours ago, Combatintman said:

What exactly are you looking for or what is your intent?

My goal is to design several scenario for CMSF2 taking the historical background of this civil war. Too early for a campaign I am afraid. I prefer to start with something little.

I am reading plenty of stuff right now to give me some ideas of interesting things to translate into scenario. I think I have all the necessary equipments (RED tanks / technicals) to do something not too far away from history. Perhaps will miss some NATO air assets like Tiger helicopters but an Apache is not too bad after all.

Of course, this will be RED vs RED

No worries, here's some more to keep you going and I'll probably leave it at that:

Maps (although most of the Guardian ones are now dead)

https://legacy.lib.utexas.edu/maps/libya-2011.html

Progress of the conflict for the first few months:

http://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/02/25/world/middleeast/map-of-how-the-protests-unfolded-in-libya.html

Uppsala Conflict Database:

http://www.ucdp.uu.se/#/exploratory

• 7 months later...

I'm messing around with a LNA core file at the moment; 50+ Toyotas & Technicals, 5 T-62 tanks and about a couple of companies worth of men:

xKCy9pQ.jpg

Their C3 structure is rather complex (borderline tribal even)!  :P

These are the guys who will be trying to take Bishr:

DRg96va.jpg

Don't worry, that's an old picture, it looks a bit sexier these days!  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

12 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I'm messing around with a LNA core file at the moment; 50+ Toyotas & Technicals, 5 T-62 tanks and about a couple of companies worth of men:

Their C3 structure is rather complex (borderline tribal even)!  :P

These are the guys who will be trying to take Bishr:

DRg96va.jpg

Don't worry, that's an old picture, it looks a bit sexier these days!  ;)

+1  Nice.  Another urban area that can be accessed from the sea............... :) 

1 hour ago, ncc1701e said:

Hey great, where did you find sources about their C3 structure?

Based the composition on what I'm seeing in the news, but TBH I just made the rest up based on my impressions of the force.....Both 'Bishr' and my 'LNA 5th Motorised Brigade' are utterly fictional, but hopefully they should feel sufficiently Libyan to provide some immersion to the scenario. 

Basically you get half a Militia Company and two thirds of a Reserve Mech Company (minus their vehicles) and a number of Combatant Groups of various sizes.  I've tried to co-locate HQs at several levels to ensure there is at least some information sharing between the various groups in the overall formation. 

Other than that I just went mad with all the new Technicals that are available to Red in CM:SF2 (BIG thank you to @Battlefront.com for those!). 

1 hour ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Another urban area that can be accessed from the sea............... :) 

1 hour ago, ncc1701e said:

Beautiful map !

Bishr is an awesome map, for which I can claim absolutely no credit,  I'm just tweaking it to my own tastes for the new engine.....It's pretty big (2.35Kmx3.8Km) with a lot of open desert, so detailing it convincingly (especially the coastline & inland rocky bits) is quite a laborious process.

PS - Just discovered that there really is a Bishr in Libya, but it doesn't bear much resemblance to the map at all:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Bishr,+Libya/@30.2576672,19.1951072,1202m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x139aa1e60ef15bf9:0x59393ea8928306e3!8m2!3d30.2572561!4d19.1984106

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Based the composition on what I'm seeing in the news, but TBH I just made the rest up based on my impressions of the force.....Both 'Bishr' and my 'LNA 5th Motorised Brigade' are utterly fictional, but hopefully they should feel sufficiently Libyan to provide some immersion to the scenario. 

Basically you get half a Militia Company and two thirds of a Reserve Mech Company (minus their vehicles) and a number of Combatant Groups of various sizes.  I've tried to co-locate HQs at several levels to ensure there is at least some information sharing between the various groups in the overall formation. 

Understood, I am looking at the news as well and all I kind find on the net. I thought you had found a miraculous source.

• 2 months later...