Which to Buy?

I play a lot of wargames, but just discovered this series existed a couple months ago. I downloaded the demo and think it is the right game for me, but I have a couple questions.

1 - How do I change the resolution? I downloaded CM Fortress Italy and was not able to raise the resolution in the settings to even 1080p, much less the 1440 of my monitor. Can the resolution in any of the CM's be raised to 1440 full screen? 

2 - Which one should I buy? The games aren't cheap, so I'm probably only buying one base game for now. I'm pretty sure I want a WW2 game as my first one, even though I am intrigued by the Black Sea CM. Do all the of the CM's running on 2.0 essentially look and play the same? Does Final Blitzkrieg look and play better than Battle for Normandy or Red Thunder because it is newer, or is there essentially no difference in performance and capability since they're all on the same engine? 

Past that, I guess I'm looking for the base game with the greatest variety of units, scenarios, and maps. But if one of them looks and plays noticeably better than the others, that would probably trump variety for me. 

Thanks!

1 - I play in 1440p, myself. What you need to do is set the resolution to "Desktop" and it will scale accordingly.

2 - Half a year ago, Engine Upgrade 4.0 came out. It brings most titles to the same level of modernity (mechanics, performance and visuals). These titles are Black Sea, Final Blitzkrieg, Battle for Normandy, Fortress Italy, and Red Thunder. Shock Force is being updated to bring it up to par, currently. Afghanistan will probably only be updated in my dreams. If you don't want to buy the upgrade, the most recent games would have the most recent features (Red Thunder, Black Sea and Final Blitzkrieg started at Engine 3.0).

What game should you get? Well, that's a very frequent subject of discussion on these forums. The short version of it is get the one that has a setting that appeals to you, the most. Each base game roughly has the same amount of content, yet each one's DLC selection varies. Aside from Shock Force and Afghanistan, the looks and game-play quality is consistent.

Oh -- and welcome to the forums!

All the games are sold in Game Engine 4 nowadays, so there's no need to buy separate upgrades.

But yes, it's mostly down to the preferred setting. Newer games do take advantage of engine features not originally present in the older games, so theoretically the new titles should have a better single-player experience, but I haven't noticed a tangible difference. Personal recommendation from me goes to the CMFI+GL bundle, which is the one I started out with. It's a bit more expensive than just a base game but the content keeps you busy for a long while.

@citizen, for the WWII families, the formations, equipment, and vehicles evolve and change as the years progress.

CMFI begins with Operation Husky in Sicily so you have the standard operating procedures (SOP) learned in North Africa. CMFI's module Gustav Line begins after the invasion of Italy, and I believe the formations evolve to include lessons learned during Operation Husky.

CMBN takes place just after June 6, 1944, and incorporates formation changes resulting from lessons learned in Sicily and Italy. The. Vehicles are later models than those in CMFI. The formations and vehicles evolve through the CMBN module Market Garden (MG) (you also need the Commonwealth (CW) module to fully play CMBN and MG).

CMRT is the Eastern Front in 1944. Soviet and German formations and vehicles.

CMFB is late Western Europe through the Battle of the Bulge and into Germany with formations and vehicles evolving from lessons learned during the Battle for Normandy and Market Garden. 

I hope this helps to give you a sense of the different Families and how subtly different each is. I Started with CMFI + GL and worked my way through time.

I might get an argument on this but if you're new to the game you might want to buy a title that's 'general' in nature, not specialized.

By that I mean CMBN is great but its Normandy Hedgerow fighting, which can be vexing for a new player just learning the ropes.
CMBS is modern war at its most lethal. Fun-fun-fun... except if you're just starting out and struggling.

CMFI (starting in 1943 Sicily) is less overtly lethal with mid-war armor, and the terrain isn't as 'specialized' as Normandy bocage. It captures southern Italy well.

CMFB (the Bulge title) has all the good stuff of CMBN but you're beyond hedgerow country and into pine forests

CMRT has the same eastern European terrain as CMBS but is 74 years earlier.

4 hours ago, Citizen Snips said:

Past that, I guess I'm looking for the base game with the greatest variety of units, scenarios, and maps.

Since all the WW2 titles are all sold as the newest and most up to date there will be no difference in how the game functions between titles. That said, the game with the most variety you are looking for is the CMFI+ Gustav Line bundle. July '43 to May '44, only game with this long of timeline. Only game with two Axis nations, and yes the Italians play very differently. Only game with summer heat and winter blizzards possible. The variety of units is also unmatched for a base game and one module.

There is only $20 difference between the base game and GL bundle. If you are looking to only buy one game, for now, and will be playing a lot, the extra $20 goes a very long way to expanding the game. As well, Battlefront have a new module for CMFI in the works and hopefully it will ship in the next 6 months to a year. This will expand the game through to May '45 as well as adding new nations, units and TO&E changes. 

And remember, when new features are introduced all games benefit from them. Unless it's something specific to a title, like say IEDs for example. You will never suffer from feature envy in CM.

Combat Mission: Leave no game behind™

Mord.

Edited by Mord

37 minutes ago, Heirloom_Tomato said:

the game with the most variety you are looking for is the CMFI+ Gustav Line bundle. July '43 to May '44, only game with this long of timeline. Only game with two Axis nations, and yes the Italians play very differently. Only game with summer heat and winter blizzards possible. The variety of units is also unmatched for a base game and one module.  

Battlefront have a new module for CMFI in the works

This will expand the game through to May '45 as well as adding new nations, units and TO&E changes. 

@Citizen Snips this IMO.  

1 hour ago, StieliAlpha said:

One thing which has not been mentioned yet: All games can be extensively modded, which greatly improves their looks. You can find tons of mods, scenarios, Campaigns and other content on the „The Few Good Men“ website.

Also:   http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/

2 hours ago, Josey Wales said:

CMFB = cold and forested

CMFI = hot and hilly

CMRT = open terrain

CMBN = close terrain (bocage)

I started with CMFI because I came to the CM2 series late, however I would recommend starting with CMBN as it currently has the most expansions. It's also the most popular for multiplayer.

"Send More Brains'...Err, I mean get back to making some more AAR's, there Wales of Josey :-)

If you are looking for a lot of bang for your buck, shock force 2's upcoming release would be a good bet.  So many QB possibilities and a metric ton of community released content that will be compatable upon release.  I'm stoked for that and want to get Red Thunder after that.  Ive noticed a solid number of campaigns put out for that game that look really interesting.

What no one has mentioned is that the ww2 games latest engine version needs patching and for many players (including myself) is actually unplayable until patched - no I kid you not! We've been waiting for the patches for over a year and it's quite likely that Shock Force 2 will be released before we get the patches. 

Furthermore, with the latest ww2 game versions I don't think you can do, what some have resorted to, which is revert back to the earlier game iteration.

For this reason, if I were advising myself right now, I'd buy a modern title and look at the ww2 titles once the patches are released... could be waiting a long time with BF yet... who knows!? 

On 8/22/2018 at 8:54 PM, Mord said:

And remember, when new features are introduced all games benefit from them. Unless it's something specific to a title, like say IEDs for example. You will never suffer from feature envy in CM.

Combat Mission: Leave no game behind™

Mord.

Except tank riders :(

1 hour ago, The Steppenwulf said:

What no one has mentioned is that the ww2 games latest engine version needs patching and for many players (including myself) is actually unplayable until patched - no I kid you not! We've been waiting for the patches for over a year and it's quite likely that Shock Force 2 will be released before we get the patches. 

Furthermore, with the latest ww2 game versions I don't think you can do, what some have resorted to, which is revert back to the earlier game iteration.

For this reason, if I were advising myself right now, I'd buy a modern title and look at the ww2 titles once the patches are released... could be waiting a long time with BF yet... who knows!? 

I agree completely, i wanted to buy CMFI but i will hold off until engine 4 has been fixed, releasing engine 4 with those bugs and not patching it in more than a year has been a real dick move.

6 minutes ago, Elcloudy said:

Engine 4 bugs. Are they really that bad so as to wait for the new patch?

Well you will get some people who will say it is so bad they are not playing the game at the moment. Then there are people like me who frequently don't notice.

Honestly if you don't have the game to play at all now then waiting is a lost opportunity cost. I would vote get them and play - there will be lots to learn.

1 hour ago, IanL said:

Well you will get some people who will say it is so bad they are not playing the game at the moment. Then there are people like me who frequently don't notice.

Honestly if you don't have the game to play at all now then waiting is a lost opportunity cost. I would vote get them and play - there will be lots to learn.

You got to love the appeal to "honesty" there! Well I'm not in BF's pockets and cannot be termed a fan boi, so here's a proper rationale for you.

The CM2 games are never on sale - that's BF's policy. So it doesn't matter whether you buy a game now or in six months, you'll still have to ante up!  Except that of course you will miss out on 6 months play (I think that's Ian's argument). But then why would anyone want to own a game that does not play how it should play because it needs patching, may as well wait till it's patched right?  

Maybe you'll fall into the CM game camp that doesn't think it makes any difference (who must be obviously missing something seriously major about the game, or are being completely disingenuous), or else you find it's a game breaker (when you come across it) and find the game unplayable as a result. Well you got to ask yourself one question... is the risk for the cost of a premium priced game worth it?

Since the issue seems not to affect Black sea or likely Shock Force 2 (though we'll have to wait and see about the latter), it's clear that the newcomer would be better off playing safe and investing in the games that do work (as we expect) in version 4 at first, and just hang fire until the ww2 games are patched! 

On the basis of the reasoning outlined, I think that's sensible advice and that's the advice I would give to a friend. I'm confident many others here would agree.

1 hour ago, The Steppenwulf said:

You got to love the appeal to "honesty" there! Well I'm not in BF's pockets and cannot be termed a fan boi, so here's a proper rationale for you.

The CM2 games are never on sale - that's BF's policy. So it doesn't matter whether you buy a game now or in six months, you'll still have to ante up!  Except that of course you will miss out on 6 months play (I think that's Ian's argument). But then why would anyone want to own a game that does not play how it should play because it needs patching, may as well wait till it's patched right?  

Maybe you'll fall into the CM game camp that doesn't think it makes any difference (who must be obviously missing something seriously major about the game, or are being completely disingenuous), or else you find it's a game breaker (when you come across it) and find the game unplayable as a result. Well you got to ask yourself one question... is the risk for the cost of a premium priced game worth it?

Since the issue seems not to affect Black sea or likely Shock Force 2 (though we'll have to wait and see about the latter), it's clear that the newcomer would be better off playing safe and investing in the games that do work (as we expect) in version 4 at first, and just hang fire until the ww2 games are patched! 

On the basis of the reasoning outlined, I think that's sensible advice and that's the advice I would give to a friend. I'm confident many others here would agree.

To caveat a bit - the effects cited in 4.0 do not affect every battle and don't affect armor at all so it all depends on the scenario you are playing as to whether you will see a little effect, see no effect, or get really really frustrated.  If you want time in to learn how to use the commands and behavior etc the effects cited for 4.0 won't stop you there.  You'll still need to learn movement commands, splitting, combat commands, acquiring, the effects of the C2 model etc etc  If you think you are interested in the game, get it, learn it and when it is patched worry about that then.

The difference between those who feel it totally breaks the game and those who don't isn't necessarily an issue of one or the other being dishonest.  It can simply be what you play.  I am very aware of the 4.0 issues- it has stopped my PBEM campaign.  It has not however stopped me from playing the game.  So can we cut the notion from both sides that it is all or nothing?

7 hours ago, Elcloudy said:

Hello, everyone. I’m new to the forum and CMx2. 

I’ve been on the fence about buying the BN complete bundle or FI + GL for a while. I haven’t read about those Engine 4 bugs. Are they really that bad so as to wait for the new patch?

@Josey Wales, your videos made me interested in CM. Great content!

If you have never played CMx2, you will have nothing to compare things to, so when the bugs people are complaining about show up, they may bother you less. I have not stopped playing any of the games and have adjusted my playing to how the game currently works. 

After you buy CMFI+GL and/or the CMBN Big Bundle, and have played few scenarios or a campaign, if you find the 4.0 issue to be a big problem for you, there are a few things you can do to make the issue less obvious.

1. Play PBEM battles with a  trustworthy opponent and agree to take the same level of experience for your units, say all Green or all Veteran. This will ensure both players are dealing with the same quality of troops and have them react the same way to stress.

2. Have all units with the motivation level set to High or better. The stronger the motivation, the less likely the troops are to break and potentially make a wrong decision. High seems to make them react the way I want them too.

3. Use on map mortars only, no off board arty. Infantry can have some strange reactions to a heavy arty bombardment. Limiting the battle to on map assets only will reduce the impacts as the shell sizes are smaller and ammo counts lower.

4. At all times remember your opponent is playing under the same system and rule set. What caused your men to react funny, die a horrible death, and make you spew your cold beverage in a rage filled tantrum? Whatever it was, do it back to your opponent and he will see the exact same problems. The worst part is tho, and I swear it is true, my opponents never seem to have the same problems I do.....😁

5. Learn to use the scenario editor and build maps. The editor can be more fun than playing the game some days. It will also let you test out all the crazy ideas you could dream off. I like to take quick battle maps, modify them to suit the little idea I have in mind, and then go test them out. I am currently setting up platoon sized engagements and trying to play them with the icons off. Consider the editor to be the sandbox of your dreams!