Resuming Carillon Nose campaign project

12 hours ago, LongLeftFlank said:

compressing a full day (0530 to 1945) historical small town clearing action (by a green unit under fire) into a single hour of CMBN gameplay

Hope the player doesn't feel rushed. That's when one makes rash hurried actions and get men killed.  MOUT type ops do have a routine that seems the same for every game starting with securing the long firing lanes along the streets to divide and isolate the area to be cleared etc.  But, doing thing carefully takes time.

@Erwin, I'll extend time as seems necessary as I playtest. "Winning" here is really about not losing too many guys to sniping and mortar stonks.

After 5 more hours, I got the ersatz morning fog smokescreen to work across the full US frontage. It's actually fired by the AI Germans (they have no other use for smoke rounds). Here's how it worked out:

1. As warned by @RockinHarry, no matter how large or irregular you paint an AI Support Target zone, the AI always converts it into a single small radius point target.

2. So to get broad coverage, you need multiple Smoke Support Targets. The AI fires on them promptly, one at a time, in no particular order, using both OBA and onboard guns. LOS is irrelevant.

3. Each Support Target needs its own arty unit, although sometimes 2 units will plaster 1 ST zone and leave the other unfired. Gentle breeze will cover gaps. 81mm mortars with Scarce ammo seem to work best. A Support Target mission keeps firing until tubes are dry, but they only have a few smoke rounds each, so it's over in 1-3 minutes. (Their HE will of course be available to the AI for conventional missions later).

4. For those interested, AI Support Target missions always assign a nominal "green line" spotter, even a sniper, and even if he can't see the zone. If no units are on the map (all reinforcements), the mission won't fire. 

Edited by LongLeftFlank

6 hours ago, LongLeftFlank said:

@Erwin, I'll extend time as seems necessary as I playtest. "Winning" here is really about not losing too many guys to sniping and mortar stonks.

After 5 more hours, I got the ersatz morning fog smokescreen to work across the full US frontage. It's actually fired by the AI Germans (they have no other use for smoke rounds). Here's how it worked out:

1. As warned by @RockinHarry, no matter how large or irregular you paint an AI Support Target zone, the AI always converts it into a single small radius point target.

2. So to get broad coverage, you need multiple Smoke Support Targets. The AI fires on them promptly, one at a time, in no particular order, using both OBA and onboard guns. LOS is irrelevant.

3. Each Support Target needs its own arty unit, although sometimes 2 units will plaster 1 ST zone and leave the other unfired. Gentle breeze will cover gaps. 81mm mortars with Scarce ammo seem to work best. A Support Target mission keeps firing until tubes are dry, but they only have a few smoke rounds each, so it's over in 1-3 minutes. (Their HE will of course be available to the AI for conventional missions later).

4. For those interested, AI Support Target missions always assign a nominal "green line" spotter, even a sniper, and even if he can't see the zone. If no units are on the map (all reinforcements), the mission won't fire. 

Think I once figured chronological order of Arty assets in purchase menu does matter for support target zones. Worked it out in my Enter Germany mission but need to check again on details. Basically if you want 4 support targets (example) to be used by a particular Arty asset, then just have these available initially and in right chronological order (topmost first). These are then mated with target zones in draw order. (1st/topmost available Arty on target zone 1, 2nd on 2nd zone and so forth). Have any other not yet needed Arty assets come in later as reinforcements.