CMx1 Mods Warehouse under "attack"

Hi All,

For the longest time, I've been supporting the community with mods warehouse infrastructure, though I don't play anymore.

This is not free, but it is on cheap plans so I haven't minded.  Also the occasional kind soul has donated (I think I get about $5 per month this way, which doesn't cover costs).

However, this infrastructure can't support bots or automated downloads.   They put too much load on it, it runs out of allocation.

For some reason, the last few months, we've been running out of allocations at CMx1 Mods Warehouse.

I've ponied up a few more dollars this month to go to the next level and get it running again.

And I've had a look in the logs.   It appears that someone has an automatic script/bot that is trying to download everything, one mod a a time.

This is not OK.    The allocations we have can support people using it at a moderate rate, but not sustained bot usage.

If this doesn't stop, I'll have to turn it off, or ask you all for the money to keep it going.

In case it's of any use or interest, the IP address originating the requests is 94.130.18.159.  Unlikely we could do anything with that, but just in case.

GaJ

The only thing I can tell is it is out of the Ukraine.  I ponied up some money even though I haven't touched CMx1 in a decade, hopefully it helps  Still this kind of crap just irks me.

Geo location Information of your IP address: 94.130.18.159

Country
Ukraine (ua.png)
Region

City

Latitude
49, 32
Net-Range
77.0.0.0 - 95.255.255.255
Edited by sburke

It _may_ be innocent and well intentioned.   If someone has set up something to pull out the mods and save them or publish them somewhere else, that could be a good thing.

The only problem is the infrastructure doesn't support it.

It could also be some strange way of hacking ... who knows.

Thanks for the help ($)!

GaJ

6 hours ago, GreenAsJade said:

In case it's of any use or interest, the IP address originating the requests is 94.130.18.159.  Unlikely we could do anything with that, but just in case.

94.130.18.159's User Agent Strings ninja-crawler47.webmeup.com
Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; BLEXBot/1.0; +http://webmeup-crawler.com/)

Block the Ip and range / Kindly suggest via robots.txt that it refrains from crawling / email webmeup.com asking them to stop.  Problem is there are hundreds of similar 'SEO' webcrawlers operating from all over the world.

Can't you make it so only registered users can access and download files?

Edited by Wicky