SF2 will be the same

Buildings degrade with small arms fire over time

Bigger guns, cannons HE etc do more damage quicker and flatten buildings faster

I think it could be coded to maybe degrade faster with .50 Cal

Else seems fine in general

Given the engine used you cannot be too picky about it

25 minutes ago, GAZ NZ said:

SF2 will be the same

SF2 won't have independent buildings, so there will be no visual degradation to see. Modular buildings only have two states; wall, and no wall. That's what the controversy was about.

Mord.

No, they just didn't add them in. It's too much work and they are already behind. The big buildings you are seeing the periodic destruction on are all Independent buildings. You won't see that on say a 14 story (modular) building in BS.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

56 minutes ago, GAZ NZ said:

Oh really

Buildings degrade with small arms fire over time with big joined building in CMBS

Are they made different in CMSF2?

All buildings do, but only independent buildings have intermediate visible stages on destruction and the partial walls when they collapse.  CMSF has no independent buildings.  Go into the editor in CMBS throw a couple modular and a couple independent buildings on the map.  Toss in some troops.  Open it as a battle and shoot up the buildings.  all will become clear.

Edited by sburke

Quick follow-up; is there any abstraction calculated with building damage? i.e. even though the building doesn't visually degrade, does the amount of cover and protection it simulates change as a wall nears collapsing?

edit: if so this would be problematic, as I'd be prone to moving troops into a building that appears solid but is actually perforated and won't offer me the level of protection I believe I'm going to get.

Edited by Homo_Ferricus

IIRC , some one did some mods that actually changed the shape of in-game objects . Did any one ever do that with building rubble? I also seem to recall though the objects appeared changed visually, the LOS/LOF remained as it was with the original object.

2 hours ago, Homo_Ferricus said:

Quick follow-up; is there any abstraction calculated with building damage? i.e. even though the building doesn't visually degrade, does the amount of cover and protection it simulates change as a wall nears collapsing?

edit: if so this would be problematic, as I'd be prone to moving troops into a building that appears solid but is actually perforated and won't offer me the level of protection I believe I'm going to get.

Yup - IIRC these was a case of pixeltroopen getting shot through an apparently solid wall which was due to the abstraction in the visual presentation of damage. Use a couple or three keywords to make a search for the thread and see if it's findable.

For the most part, unfortified buildings furnish a lot less hard cover than you'd think. The concealment value is at least as important.

The cinderblock walls of most modern structures, as well as traditional mud brick structures of the type you'd find in Syria, are not load bearing and are readily perforated by small calibre rounds at hundreds of meters even when fully intact. So shot-up walls won't offer dramatically worse cover values until they collapse entirely. Such harder cover as is available inside is mostly the supporting pillars which are poured cement and rebar, or the floors.

A few large structures, usually government edifices or old mosques, have thicker walls of poured cement or sandstone blocks.