CMSF installation files

Hello!

On the new website it says cmsf 1 isn't available for purchase anymore - but what about downloads for customers who purchased the game already? Are they still online? After BFC introduced it's "unlimited downloads" policy, I stopped keeping local saftey copies of my cm games installation files. I would be unhappy if I cant reinstall the game anymore.

I suspect that is just temporary while the new store is settling down and CMSF2 is prepped.  Though it does beg the question - why would you want to?  CMSF2 is soooooo much better and the price point for one who already owns the CMSF  is really good. I plan to deinstall and wipe the old version from my pc.  Feels bad to do it but I know I’ll never launch it again. 

Why would i want to? In general I don't feel like having to justify why I would like to use a product I bought, no matter how out dated it may be. However i fear that CMSF2 may be lacking compatibility with CMSF1 mods such as the Taliban model ported from CMA and I also suspect that, since the reduced price CMSF2 is an upgrade afaik, it might require a functioning CMSF1 installation.

Correct me if I am wrong.

4 hours ago, agusto said:

Why would i want to? In general I don't feel like having to justify why I would like to use a product I bought, no matter how out dated it may be. However i fear that CMSF2 may be lacking compatibility with CMSF1 mods such as the Taliban model ported from CMA and I also suspect that, since the reduced price CMSF2 is an upgrade afaik, it might require a functioning CMSF1 installation.

Correct me if I am wrong.

CMSF2 will not require a functioning CMSF install. It is complete in itself.  The only thing your CMSF license determines is your discount.  As to mods,yeah I’d say most mods for CMSF will not work in CMSF2 

The positive side of CMSF1 mods not working in CMSF2 is that CMSF2 has the appearance of a well-modded CMSF1.  In the pics shown of CMSF2, the graphics look very similar to my heavily modded CMSF1.  ie:  One may not need to mod CMSF2 nearly as much as we did CMSF1. 

That is a very good thing as it is a PITA to keep up with a plethora of mods that may interfere with one another, or become obsolete when new game versions become available.

4 hours ago, sburke said:

CMSF2 will not require a functioning CMSF install. It is complete in itself.  The only thing your CMSF license determines is your discount.  As to mods,yeah I’d say most mods for CMSF will not work in CMSF2 

Ahh thanks.

With regard to mods, i am specifically going to miss all the Red vs Red mods, such as Mord's excellent Civil War Mod, etc. I ve almost exclusively played Red vs Red in the last couple of years.

Edited by agusto
grammar

4 hours ago, agusto said:

almost exclusively played Red vs Red

Me 2.  We can only hope that some of these CMSF1 mods do work with CMSF2.  (Or that some kindhearted soul is willing to redo em.)  However, I noticed that the original/base uncon images shown in the CMSF2 threads look very similar to the mods currently available for CMSF1.  So, we may have good-looking uncon mods without mods.  (Inshallah.)

Edited by Erwin

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

Me 2.  We can only hope that some of these CMSF1 mods do work with CMSF2.  

They won't.  The only mods you might be able to count on is Kieme's buildings, maybe some sound mods, nothing vehicle or infantry related.  The models are all new.

Modding has never been a matter of need so much as want so I expect we will see some, how much they can do always surprises me.  The uncons do look good, but I am sure that won't stop some enterprising soul with a few different ideas.

The only way sounds wouldn't work is if they renamed files. For the most part they've only ever added sounds not changed them. So they should be fine. I use a lot of CMSF mod sounds in BS.

As far as I know there'll be no way to create a civil war mod like I originally did. A lot of that involved model swapping. There's no model swapping after 4.0 or maybe it was 3.0, either way it's dead.

I wouldn't worry about the old stuff anyways because, well, it's old stuff. You figure a good amount of those mods was made in the first couple of years of SF's life. At best most of it is going on 8 years old (outside of a few newer things) put onto 11 year old models. SF2 is gonna be brand spanking new...with HIT DECALS!

Mord.

That's a shame about the lockdown on model swapping.  I find it pretty non-credible that it hurt the business in any way. One of the few benefits of the old OpenGUI platform (or wev it is) is that the community could do neat visual stuff around the edges without being Arma3 type code monkeys, and without messing with the game.

Is @sbobovyc still out there working on his compiler thingy?

I personally haven't tested it, but word was (I think from @Blimey) that he tried to hex edit something and could no longer redirect swapped models to take the place of something else.

Mord.

Edited by Mord