I Don't Read the Dev Updates BINGO!

CMSFII is a COIN Simulator

Isn't it? A lot of the vanilla scenarios are Americans vs barely armed insurgents. Yeah sure you have some force on force scenarios, but a lot of Shock Force is classic COIN in my opinion.

Javelins for Uncons?

http://www.businessinsider.com/isis-javelin-2017-8

Not outside the realm of possibility 😂

Funny chart though.

Edited by sid_burn

About T-72 types. BFC greatly modified the old CMSF1 T-72 list and revised the models. So the 'speculative' T72 types have disappeared and T-72s in the game will be easily recognizable to anyone familiar with armor in Syria. God bless internet Google search engine in that regard.

12 hours ago, sburke said:

And you spelled compatible wrong.

There is always one typo that falls through the gaps!

12 hours ago, Raptorx7 said:

Steam should be the free space LOL.

Haha that isn't a bad idea, but I was trying to keep the theme more SF2 centric, and the most outlandish wish for SF2 is adding the Russians, which is why it got the middle of the board.

27 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

About T-72 types. BFC greatly modified the old CMSF1 T-72 list and revised the models. So the 'speculative' T72 types have disappeared and T-72s in the game will be easily recognizable to anyone familiar with armor in Syria. God bless internet Google search engine in that regard.

I didn't think it was possible for me to get more excited for SF2, but this managed to do it. I just hope they left the T-72M1's in the game. 

19 minutes ago, DerKommissar said:

I'm surprised "Aircraft Models" isn't on this.

That's a good one! I realized just after posting this that I forgot to add a request for the Terminator BMP/tank hybrid vehicle as well. Who knows, maybe there will be a version 2 of the board.

On 7/12/2018 at 11:03 PM, sid_burn said:

Isn't it? A lot of the vanilla scenarios are Americans vs barely armed insurgents. Yeah sure you have some force on force scenarios, but a lot of Shock Force is classic COIN in my opinion.

http://www.businessinsider.com/isis-javelin-2017-8

Not outside the realm of possibility 😂

Funny chart though.

Quick question, what's the acronym COIN mean?

1 hour ago, Bozilas said:

Quick question, what's the acronym COIN mean?

sburke already covered it, but to spell it out even more, it means COunter INsurgency. This refers to operations intended to combat active insurgencies. Iraq post invasion is an example of a war that involves COIN, as is Afghanistan among many other examples. More specifically, COIN refers to the doctrine developed by the United States around 2005-2007 to defeat the insurgencies encountered in Iraq, and was then translated over to Afghanistan. 

29 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

sburke already covered it, but to spell it out even more, it means COunter INsurgency. This refers to operations intended to combat active insurgencies. Iraq post invasion is an example of a war that involves COIN, as is Afghanistan among many other examples. More specifically, COIN refers to the doctrine developed by the United States around 2005-2007 to defeat the insurgencies encountered in Iraq, and was then translated over to Afghanistan. 

Got it, ty.

COIN as a term for counter-insurgency has been around far longer than the US doctrines developed after the invasion of Iraq. I don't believe Galula or Trinquier use the term in their seminal works from 1964 and 1961, respectively, but the USAF was discussing dedicated COIN aircraft at least as early as 1963. 

*sigh* there is always one.

Well actually, (nuance nuance nuance nuance nuance... infinity)

In the context of Shock Force, which takes place in a modern setting of 2008, COIN refers to the modern doctrine and the modern application of said doctrine developed in modern COunter INsurgency conflicts. 

To avoid any confusion, the key word here is modern, and the definition of that key word is post-9/11.

I know it's fun to emulate the Pentagon and try to over complicate everything as much as possible, but seeing as we are not in fact the Pentagon I am more than happy with keeping things simple and practical. 

COIN is the primary currency in CM:SF and on this forum. Every time you get a Bingo! you receive a COIN. COINs can be used to buy BATTLE CRATES, which contain premiums skins (for NATO, SAA an UNCONs!), as well as templates for "Deeply regret to inform you" letters for casualties' families.

On 7/17/2018 at 3:19 PM, IICptMillerII said:

*sigh* there is always one.

Well actually, (nuance nuance nuance nuance nuance... infinity)

In the context of Shock Force, which takes place in a modern setting of 2008, COIN refers to the modern doctrine and the modern application of said doctrine developed in modern COunter INsurgency conflicts. 

To avoid any confusion, the key word here is modern, and the definition of that key word is post-9/11.

I know it's fun to emulate the Pentagon and try to over complicate everything as much as possible, but seeing as we are not in fact the Pentagon I am more than happy with keeping things simple and practical. 

I think you originally replied to add "nuance" to sburke's "simple and practical" answer. I just wanted to add that COIN is not a new term, nor is counterinsurgency theory a "post 9/11" theory. FM3-24, which is the Army's documentation and statement of this post-9/11 COIN doctrine, is a revival of the doctrines developed in the 1950s and 1960s with updates to adapt to new technology and the differences between the current Jihadist insurgencies compared with Communist and other prior insurgencies. Gen. Patreaus and Gen. Mattis, the listed authors of FM3-24, specifically discuss how they are applying these earlier doctrines that have been neglected for 20 years, and placing them in the context of the current insurgencies. 

I see your point, though: Soldiers fighting in counterinsurgencies prior to the modern world of post 9/11 had to deal with such primitive situations as:

---Being assaulted by AK47 and RPG-equipped guerillas who blend in with the civilian population
---Dealing with restrictive ROE that prevent the use of firepower in various situations
---Being transported in helicopters on air assault missions and relying on helicopters for casualty evacuation
---Being blown up by improvised explosive devices and other booby traps (maybe there will be an initialism for this sort of thing in the modern era!)
---Setting up combat outposts and firebases and conducting ambush patrols outside of observation posts and outposts to detect and disrupt guerilla attacks on those outposts
---Relying on fixed wing and rotary wing aircraft to deliver close air support including dedicated COIN aircraft like the AC130 gunship
---Being armed only with a mix of assault rifles, precision rifles, automatic rifles, grenade launchers, hand grenades, rocket launchers, light wheeled vehicles, light armored vehicles, APCs, tanks, artillery, mortars, and radio communications
---Using elite special forces to conduct raiding, interdiction, intelligence gathering, and training indigenous personnel

My god, it was practically the bronze age. I'm surprised they didn't pay the troops with salt. 

51 minutes ago, sburke said:

I still like @DerKommissarreply best :D 

...And definitely the Falco version (chain smoking video, not totally lame lame roller skating in front of bluescreen MTV edition). As for 'After the Fire' English remix, know O believers that it is haram and shall be consigned to eternal columns of fire, by Allah (pbuh)!

Edited by LongLeftFlank

20 hours ago, LongLeftFlank said:

...And definitely the Falco version (chain smoking video, not totally lame lame roller skating in front of bluescreen MTV edition). As for 'After the Fire' English remix, know O believers that it is haram and shall be consigned to eternal columns of fire, by Allah (pbuh)!

The only version I would except, outside of the original Falco version, is one animated by Ralph Bakshi.

I am gonna blaspheme the living crap out of this discussion and tell you right now that ATF's version kills Falco's!

On top of that I can't stand Bakshi.

I still like you guys though.

Mord.