Balconies: Tweaks?

Any change to how balconies are handled? I.e. will troops on a floor with balconies facing the wall with the balcony run out onto it? I don't have Black Sea and don't know if it has balconies, and if so if it's been tweaked there. Thanks

6 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

will troops on a floor with balconies facing the wall with the balcony run out onto it? 

Yes.  In CMBS when a troop in a team is facing the balcony the troop will enter the balcony.  If the entire team is facing it they will all enter.  There is a work around for this situation. 

Funnily enough, during Beta testing I can't recall any testers actually complained about balconies. I don't think there have been any changes. Perhaps we've simply grown used to the 'tactical difficulties' inherent in throwing troops onto a balconied floor. I recall a couple months ago quipping (half-joking) that if a scenario designer has put a balcony on a building in a scenario you should assume he's deliberately messing with you. ^_^

All titles have the same balcony option for modular building but balconies are used very sparingly in many of the titles. Scenario designers learned long ago to not merely add balconies as eye candy because they will have a tactical impact on gameplay. Recently I was working on new sets of scenario AI plans. Some buildings on the map I was restricting AI troops to bottom floors because going above ground will turn the buildings into bullet magnet death traps, balconies or no.

13 minutes ago, Kozlice said:

As in having the troop/team face the balcony side and not enter it? If so, do you mind sharing it?

Below is my TACSOP for when I want a team, inside a building, to stay away from a certain wall.  It will keep a team from going to that wall (balcony) while still being able to spot out of that side of the room.  Can be used because of a balcony or some other reason. 

1. Give team a circular Target Arc about the size of the building.

2. Slow team into the building & then to the desired floor.

3. Give desired floor waypoint a Target Arc out the reverse wall.1

4. 2nd turn give the team a permanent Pause3 order.

5. Give team a 32m 360oTarget Arc2 and consider Hide.

6. When ready to engage cancel Target Arc & Hide.4

Notes: 1)The team will have LOS out the forward wall of the building from the reverse wall.  This will also keep the team from entering a balcony on forward wall.  2)A 360oTarget Arc is used to prevent the OpFor from approaching outside a wedge arc & does not affect observation. 3)Pause keeps the team from moving to forward wall & entering balconies. 4)Team will auto cancel Pause and move to forward wall to shoot.    

Edited by MOS:96B2P

Would an option perhaps be to NOT add any doors out on the balconies...and so to speak keep the 'eyecandy ' but avoid the deathtrapp...

If that is even doable or does adding a balcony auto-generate a door on that wall ? I don't remember. It's been quite some time since i played shock force.

Having balconies without any doors might look a bit wierd but might be a decent compromice if it could fix/limit this 'problem'...

It can be done by Alt+Ctrl Clicking.....Add the balcony(ies) first.  Then Alt+Ctrl Click the walls to get windows but no doors on the balconied levels.  Then selectively Ctrl Click the levels without balconies to get them how you want them.  Do not Ctrl Click on one of the balconied levels as this will always add a door.

Alt+Ctrl Clicking is the key to funky modular buildings.  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

The simple solution (in my head - probably not when it comes to programming it) would be for all instances where troops are in a building on a floor with a balcony they will remain indoors unless the player gives them a "Face" command that is in the direction of a balcony, at which point they will then use the balcony.

This type of setup would mean troops would only occupy exposed balconies when the player has actually prescribed an order to do so. Troops that simply spot and start shooting enemies on their own accord will remain inside the building behind hard cover. Perhaps there's an option here for lower quality troops to rush out on balconies to reflect their inexperience?

I would prefer if moving ONTO  balconies could be made to work the way moving from room to room does now. That is...in order to get the troops to enter the balconies the player would need to place a waypoint on the balcony itself...as if the balconies where treated as seperate rooms.

With the 'facing option' you could not set up your defenders to face in the direction of the balconies but still remain inside the building.

Unfortunatelly this 'seperate room' version of the balconies is probably not so easy to do either...when it comes to programing...

2 hours ago, RepsolCBR said:

I would prefer if moving ONTO  balconies could be made to work the way moving from room to room does now. That is...in order to get the troops to enter the balconies the player would need to place a waypoint on the balcony itself...as if the balconies where treated as seperate rooms.  

This.  +1