BMP-3M Disabling Own 30mm

I've just noticed on larger maps, when BMP-3s are really lobbing those 100mm rounds downrange, they are receiving "hits" that only disable their 30mm guns, and without taking return fire. I'm guessing at high elevations the vehicle is shooting itself. In my last battle on a huge map, with a full battalion, about 50% had damage only to their 30mm guns, and those were the vehicles that had engaged the most at long ranges.

• 3 weeks later...

Is this only an issue with the BMP-3M? I have not noticed this happening with regular BMP-3s, and I've taken them for a spin on a few large maps before.

Have you been able to figure out at what range and beyond this begins to happen? If so, should be pretty easy to replicate in tests. That way, a proper bug report can be made and sent up. 

Edited by IICptMillerII

Hmm, it could be that the ERA is getting in the way somehow. That, combined with the fact that BF doesn't model gun depression angles could be the culprit. Could be that in real life, the ERA prevents the barrel from being elevated to that degree, but in the game there is no such limitation. Just spitballing. 

Edited by IICptMillerII

2 hours ago, DougPhresh said:

BMP-3s will occasionally shoot their own 30mm gun barrels!

OK colour me stupid if you want but shoots them with what?

Are you saying the 100mm HE rounds are damaging the 30mm gun or is it ATGMs what? And not I cannot check this instant cuase - on my mobile. :)Clearly I can load up a test at some point and report this - unless someone else beats me to it which BTW is highly likely because I am probably not going to get time to try anything in game until Monday or Tuesday.

If you have a saved game already handy that will make things even faster...

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to replicate this but couldn't, I used BMP-3s.....Would be but the work of a moment to make 'em BMP-3M (ERA)s.....

Done and testing.  ;)

PS - Test file here:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/obyqa6lp1itlxm0/[Test] BMP-3Guns.btt?dl=0  The BMPs usually switch to 100mm cannon after 3-4 minutes.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

11 minutes ago, DougPhresh said:

Strangely this has only happened on maps I converted from CMFB and CMFI, maybe that could play a part.

Bingo! That's going to be my guess. I set up some tests when you first posted this and couldn't get any results that matched yours, either.

Mord.

24 minutes ago, DougPhresh said:

Strangely this has only happened on maps I converted from CMFB and CMFI, maybe that could play a part.

I keep having BMP-3Ms with only the 30mm disabled, sometimes as much as 30% of my total force.

I've got a couple of the converted maps.....Will have a look in due course.

I hope this isn't the case because my Fragmentistan II stuff is built with CM:BS on CM:FI & CM:FB maps.  :unsure:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead