Jump to content

One question I always had about the NATO module: The Bölkow Bo 105


Recommended Posts

The Bölkow Bo 105 is mentioned as part of the German air support on the NATO module web page to this day, but was cut from the final product apparently. I always wondered why. It always felt a little odd for the Germans to rely on the Dutch for helicopter support to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Steve seems to be allergic to transport helicopters with weapons conversions attached. Yes, that may be an unfair assessment of the Bo105, but Blackhawk and Mi-17 with weapons pods are not in the game either, regardless of their sophistication. The closest we have to that category is the Kiowa scout helicopter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

Steve seems to be allergic to transport helicopters with weapons conversions attached. Yes, that may be an unfair assessment of the Bo105, but Blackhawk and Mi-17 with weapons pods are not in the game either, regardless of their sophistication. The closest we have to that category is the Kiowa scout helicopter.

That is an unfair assessement of the Bo105 PAH, which is a dedicated anti tank helicopter that is only beeing used in that specific role!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, QuiGon said:

That is an unfair assessement of the Bo105 PAH, which is a dedicated anti tank helicopter that is only beeing used in that specific role!

It was a specialized version of the Bo105 dedicated for the anti tank role. However, only as a stop gap measure although they were upgraded around 1990. I'm not an expert but not sure they would have been send to Syria as an attack helicopter in 2008. I'd rather have a real combat helicopter capability if the choice was there.
I had hoped the Eurocopter Tiger to be included in the game. It was still undergoing trials in 2008, but had it's first combat flights in Afghanistan in 2009 (at least with the French). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

It was a specialized version of the Bo105 dedicated for the anti tank role. However, only as a stop gap measure although they were upgraded around 1990. I'm not an expert but not sure they would have been send to Syria as an attack helicopter in 2008. I'd rather have a real combat helicopter capability if the choice was there.
I had hoped the Eurocopter Tiger to be included in the game. It was still undergoing trials in 2008, but had it's first combat flights in Afghanistan in 2009 (at least with the French). 

The german Tigers were not ready in 2008 as we were behind the french in achieving combat ready status for our Tigers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...