Modern artillery tactics

Hi,

I am interested in improving my (modern) artillery tactics and would be great to hear how you guys do it. I have learned that there are big differences between US, RU and UKR.

I use UKR artillery very much like in WWII titles, big areas and planned well ahead of time because of the call in times. Their most modern platforms are very accurate on paper but I have found that barrages are more often than not well of target (tight group but in a wrong place). So not even dreaming about doing "danger close" fires. Mortars take the role of "on call" artillery but still require some foresight. You really have to plan your FO placement and make use of any artillery observation vehicles if possible to speed things up. You also don't have many so risk vs reward.

When it comes to the US artillery I have started using it in a different way. I target single positions separately with intense shortish strikes. This is possible thanks to the quick call in times and accurate strikes. This trades time for a smaller ammo consumption and lot more predictable effect on the enemy. GPS rounds on the other hand take out problematic AFVs when airforce is not available or Javelins cannot reach them. Though choices when you have choose between halting traditional strikes for some Excaliburs and also where to draw the line between large target area or instead engaging strong points with separate strikes.  US mortars are mainly used reactionary to tip the balance in small unit engagements. This is possible because of the extremely short call in times and accurate strikes make "danger close" not too dangerous.

Russians also have their own tricks up their sleeves. They land somewhere between UKR and US depending on the situation, but still closer to US. The biggest trait they have is their Krasnopol ammo that requires the target to be lased by an FO or high end UAV (stinger danger!). This feature of the Russian precision shells makes well placed forward observes well worth their weight in gold. One of the best combos when coming against USA is a light UAV to find/track the AFVs and then position your FOs to take them out with Krasnopols. Only safe way to get rid of the APS Abrams. The light UAV is a huge force multiplier against the US when it comes to calling in fires. The choice between large planned strikes or the "US way" has to be made situationally mostly depending on the call in times. In the best cases they can match their US counter parts.