Update on Engine 4 patches

On 4/27/2019 at 8:41 PM, BletchleyGeek said:

I totally agree with all of these observations, and I am pretty sure the guy blogging does too. I think gatekeeping is a rather ungenerous characterization, motivated by many indie developers being a bit pissed off at the law of large numbers, that point at the rather obvious fact that Steam is sitting at the door of the biggest PC games market. People resent the "tax", especially when they get no service they are interested in getting in return. Steam is very pro-consumer (within the strictures of DRM, of course), and not every pro-consumer feature (like reviews, forums) is a pro-developer one (like auto patching, secure anonymised multiplayer, etc.).

I wasn't posting to start a discussion on Steam and its suitability to BFC - that was settled by Steve ages ago as he said he would monitor the situation and see if his assessment would change. To be honest, seeing how things are going, I don't think the environment has become any inch easier for a niche developer.

Graviteam has an "ace in the hole": they are based in Kharkov, Ukraine. Even after  the Steam tax, and the publisher tax (the dodgy Canadian outfit, Strategy First), I am pretty sure that our dollars and euros convert to hryvnias (sp?) just fine. And quite sure too they get a pretty good salary for Ukrainian standards

<removed link because of dodgy clickbait at the end of blog>

Maybe some of the Ukrainian forumites can comment on this in a more informed manner.

Got it. Steve needs to move to Ukraine. You're making a lot of sense!

I promised to post some kind of update more frequently and here it is.

We're close. Very close. My last post essentially said that "we're close" and this one differs with the addition of "very". That may sound like I'm joking but I'm not. And if I put another one up adding a second "very", start hitting your fresh buttons. I'm still not comfortable throwing out a date or month though.

Whoa, was this seriously 2 updates in a week's time?!  😀  Thank you for the update, Elvis!!  I think that's all that even the whiniest of us want to see, whether it's good news or bad.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...  you deserve a raise!  😀

20 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

We're close. Very close. My last post essentially said that "we're close" and this one differs with the addition of "very". That may sound like I'm joking but I'm not. And if I put another one up adding a second "very", start hitting your fresh buttons. I'm still not comfortable throwing out a date or month though.

Can you share the change log detailing what each patch entails? TBH, other than unit responses to shelling being tweaked; I'm not sure what, if anything else, is being patched.

It would help pass the time while we progress through the very very stages of release. Plus, it would allow us to remain near our screens and not have to contend with yard work, or for that matter, go outside at all...

4 hours ago, Howler said:

Can you share the change log detailing what each patch entails? TBH, other than unit responses to shelling being tweaked; I'm not sure what, if anything else, is being patched.

It would help pass the time while we progress through the very very stages of release. Plus, it would allow us to remain near our screens and not have to contend with yard work, or for that matter, go outside at all...

+1

On 4/29/2019 at 8:00 PM, BFCElvis said:

Life can be so simple. This is all we're asking for. Good to see you're a man of your word.

Please also consider some screenshots for the two modules. Would also take off a lot of pressure.

3 hours ago, 3j2m7 said:

Thanks, is only what we need somes infos, let us update...we will also smiling about some new screenshots, ...long time ago !

Screenshots? Ok. I only played this out 3 minutes as an example. 4 squads in 4 buildings. All taking direct arty hits. 2 of the 4 buildings destroyed. Did they break cover and run away in the open? 

Setup Arty.png

3 minutes in.png