CMRT Module 1 Bones

26 minutes ago, Sublime said:

Wait what about 

Volkssturm and

partisans?

Especially Volkssturm you cannot do a proper end of war germany with out them??

Sublime. Volkssturm will be in. They are mentioned in the first post.

I remember in the CMBB-days a group of people playing a Lauban-campaign with lots of maps of the battlefields in that part of Silesia. I used those maps to make my own battles. Best gaming time I ever had. Can't remember who those guys were, but I think Vergeltungswaffen was one of them perhaps? Not sure though.

2 hours ago, 3j2m7 said:

I think i will laughing about myself up today is better to awaiting some little (plastics bones) (For myself of course) !!

Nowadays forums are rare smiles and charities... prefer laughing about s...so s...sometime that Steve have to close some threats...it a pity...also when my Shaekspeare language is not the best.

you are never better served than by yourself !!!

58 minutes ago, benpark said:

I don't want to say yet, as there are a number of factors that impact that (engine-wise, etc). It will be about as wide as you see, but longer to the south).  It is going to be big, and will be able to be split into smaller portions as desired of course.

I highlighted something important - big maps are cool and all but once you start fighting on them with lots of forces you can easily reach the limits of what your computer can handle. I have not yet touched what @benpark has been working on I've only seen a few more screens so I am *not* talking about the module directly here but about the game. I totally do not want to be a wet blanket here because what @benpark has done is amazing and we well all be thanking him for decades of gaming. The amazing number of battles that will be created out off his work could be staggering.

I wanted to set some expectations a little - his map is a resource to help all of us jump start creating scenarios. That map really needs to be cut up into smaller parts for individual scenarios or campaigns. A while back @c3k and I helped test a big battle for @sfhand

We eventually were unable to play any further. I forget how many Battalions we had on the map but it was a lot of troops. Long before you get to the point where the game cannot process the orders many machines will not have satisfactory performance. Hence the need to extract smaller portions of big maps to create scenarios on.

Reread Steve’s post- Volkssturm are of course in. 

...and you beat me to it.

Yes, playing the entire battle of Berlin on this map would burn most computers. The map is intended for me to draw from for scenarios, as well as QBs and other people to use. That said, there should be a variety of battle sizes within Berlin to play.

Edited by benpark

7 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

1.Module 1. So more modules for CMRT are still planned. Great to hear! Still hope for Finland-fanboys, like me.

For sure we are not saying this is the one and only Module or Pack for CMRT, but this very minute we don't have solid plans for anything beyond Module 1.

But the best news of all: the module will probably be released before the end of this year. Didn't expect that, to be honest. Fingers crossed.

It's been in the works for a significant amount of time already.  Most of the forces have already been plugged in and all of the vehicle models are done.  As you can see from the snapshot of the Berlin map, there's been substantial work done on the scenario side of things already.  What's really helping is that the CMRT Module doesn't require much internal development resources at this stage, which in turn means it's not being held up by CMSF2 or CMFI R2V work (or vice versa).

Volksgrenadiers are covered by  the progression of standard Heer formations, I suppose?

Yup.  As AKD said pretty much all applicable stuff from CMFB will be in this Module.

Steve

3 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Not sure if I'm overlooking anything, but I don't think anything has changed, based on those screens? To me it looks like the regular ruins/buildings ?

Nothing has changed in terms of building damage simulation (i.e. code), but we did put in a lot of effort to better leverage the visuals within existing (code) limitations.

3 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Will there be any cap in place to limit the quality of these guys in quick battles? I think it would be a bit weird coming up against Volkssturm special forces..

Yes, the game already supports hardcoded restrictions on Soft Factors, in particular Experience.  Normally we don't exercise that ability because we like leaving it up to players.  However, in the case of Volkssturm, I think we should.

Steve

50 minutes ago, IanL said:

I highlighted something important - big maps are cool and all but once you start fighting on them with lots of forces you can easily reach the limits of what your computer can handle. I have not yet touched what @benpark has been working on I've only seen a few more screens so I am *not* talking about the module directly here but about the game. I totally do not want to be a wet blanket here because what @benpark has done is amazing and we well all be thanking him for decades of gaming. The amazing number of battles that will be created out off his work could be staggering.

I wanted to set some expectations a little - his map is a resource to help all of us jump start creating scenarios. That map really needs to be cut up into smaller parts for individual scenarios or campaigns. A while back @c3k and I helped test a big battle for @sfhand

We eventually were unable to play any further. I forget how many Battalions we had on the map but it was a lot of troops. Long before you get to the point where the game cannot process the orders many machines will not have satisfactory performance. Hence the need to extract smaller portions of big maps to create scenarios on.

Ahh, I'd forgotten about that. I think I was winning when it ended? ;)

I had about 7 battalions of US mechanized infantry and tanks. There were a lot of switchback roads going through some passes. Talk about a pathing nightmare. I think that, and the LOS interaction, was what ballooned the file sizes. (My rig was sporting 64GB of ram, and it still crashed due, I think, to the size of the computations exceeding the limits of either the game or the OS (Win 7/10, 64 bit). That's a lot of numbers. :) )

1 hour ago, Sublime said:

Wait what about 

Volkssturm and

partisans?

Especially Volkssturm you cannot do a proper end of war germany with out them??

11 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

*snip*

The Module will contain:

• Waffen SS, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, and Volkssturm forces as well as the progression of standard Heer formations.

Edited to bold what Steve said.

10 minutes ago, c3k said:

Ahh, I'd forgotten about that. I think I was winning when it ended? ;)

You were never winning. You have never won. :lol:

It's that quantum stuff doing your head in ( you knew those physicists would get you, right ? ) :P

@benpark I was not thinking to have a battle on the whole map but rather was curious how much of the city would be covered. Is it a 3 km by 3km map, 5 km by 5km or have the limits been stretched and you are making for us a 10km by 10km map? 😁

From what has been shown so far it looks like you have put in a massive effort into this map and it is very much appreciated.

Lend leases yay! Valentines are a fave. And it looks like winter is coming to the eastern front. I thought I was less excited for the RT module, in comparison to CMSF 2 and R2V. Now, I am not sure.

Will the Volkssturm look different from rank and file troops, in terms of age and build?

10 minutes ago, Heirloom_Tomato said:

@benpark I was not thinking to have a battle on the whole map but rather was curious how much of the city would be covered. Is it a 3 km by 3km map, 5 km by 5km or have the limits been stretched and you are making for us a 10km by 10km map? 😁

From what has been shown so far it looks like you have put in a massive effort into this map and it is very much appreciated.

The RT map limits were extended upon release of the core game. That map will be fairly large, given the amount of hardware taxing graphics upon it. Sorry, I can’t say the exact size yet. I know what I intend, and that should do most of the important central areas.

Bear in mind that the Berlin map is only one of a number of large maps that will exist as scenario, campaign and QB maps- as well as exist for user scenario design.

2 minutes ago, benpark said:

The RT map limits were extended upon release of the core game. That map will be fairly large, given the amount of hardware taxing graphics upon it. Sorry, I can’t say the exact size yet. I know what I intend, and that should do most of the important central areas.

Bear in mind that the Berlin map is only one of a number of large maps that will exist as scenario, campaign and QB maps- as well as exist for user scenario design.

So big then, hey? 😁

Thanks again @benpark for all your work on this and other maps. Really looking forward to having the chance to play on them. 

18 minutes ago, benpark said:

As big as possible!

I don't expect you to confirm or deny anything, but I hope we'll also see some maps for Eastern Prussia, Silesia, Hungary and so on. And yeah, most certainly looking forward to your Berlin map!

I made my first map last year (Lithuania) and I know out of experience how much work is involved and how hard it is to know when to stop.

Edited by Aragorn2002

Yes- Berlin is only one area of the fighting depicted- I don't think I am breaking any rules by writing that bit of info.

The two other maps in the screens are set in two different regions (and seasons), for instance. There will indeed be a number of master maps of other areas that display a variety of landscapes. I'll have to leave that...nonspecific as to what and where for now, sorry. But a good number are done but for a few art placeholders, etc.

Just now, Sgt.Squarehead said:

From someone who finds a 400m x 400m MOUT map to be maddeningly hard work to do.....A massive, massive THANK YOU!  ;)

You are absolutely welcome. This is the module I was waiting to work on since I came on during the early stages of CMFI.