CMRT Module 1 Bones

Yes, I've watched some but not that much - need to fire up Youtube again.  What I did see reminded me of T34 vs Tiger a bit, which I once thought was going to be great, only to see the publisher disappear.  Don't think that will happen to 1C so I suppose they just need to be sure that tanks are worth continuing development.  Now where's my credit card?

Oh I might need a new TrackIR too, not cheap but the festive season is almost upon us.

I see the game is available on Steam and direct from 1C:

https://il2sturmovik.com/store/tank-crew/

They say direct makes sure they get all of the money, which seems like the way to go 😉.

Yes true, and if you already have a Steam account it's a lot easier than entering all of your card details again 😄.

Anyway, I've just been lurking in the 1C forums and there seems to be some disappointment in the (disputed) lack of SP battles, quirky campaign structure, AI behaviour etc. LOL, not familiar in any way 😉.  Think I recognised a few names over there...

I'm still of the mind to buy it anyway, as you say it's partly a matter of supporting a good cause - the greater good of tank sims.

As for the lack of battles I've already downloaded what looks like excellent work by Tigre88.  Think I'm committed 😄.

Edited by Vacilllator

Sorry to continue the off-topic stuff, but another look shows me that on Steam I also need to buy Il2 Battle of Stalingrad to be able play Tank Crew.  At 1C it looks like I can buy Tank Crew as a stand-alone game at a cheaper price than Steam before I even add Battle of Stalingrad.  Has anyone been through this and can confirm?

yes, that is true, but that is actually the best way to go. Buy BOS on Steam, the rest on the 1C site so the Devs get more $ and everything will DL and instal on STEAM which is way faster than the 1C servers.

BOS is currently on sale for can $10, 85% off.

I have most of the IL-2 collection, great flight sim and the game I play most often after CM.

p.s. - the price on STEAM and at 1C for Tank Crew should be the same. It is actually a few dollars cheaper on STEAM in canadian dolars.

Edited by Sgt Joch

1 hour ago, Vacilllator said:

From the 1C site:

This is a keyless non-Steam product.

That doesnlt sound like I can buy Tank Crew at 1C and install it via Steam?

Sorry for the red text, can't seem to get rid of it...

You can't, but after you D/L and install the game you can add it to Steam. Which will give you access to the Steam Community pages etc,

Okay thanks @Splinty I was probably misreading this bit:

20 hours ago, Sgt Joch said:

Buy BOS on Steam, the rest on the 1C site so the Devs get more $ and everything will DL and instal on STEAM which is way faster than the 1C servers.

I have added several games to my Steam account like you suggest, but I'm not sure they are running on the Steam servers and I'm also not sure they get updates via Steam?

Anyway, does that mean you have Tank Crew?  If so what are thoughts on it?

Too much information I'm sure, but anyway 😉:

Phase 1 of my weekend project - Acquire Tank Crew - completed earlier than anticipated.  Via 1C not Steam, cheaper, stand-alone and more money goes to 1C.  Loaded up after a long-ish download (25 GB, but my broadband is decent at around 300Mbps) and an even longer install process which at the end seemed to fail but actually didn't.  Looks great once you find your way to the tank bit.

Phase 2 - get my head around the controls and setup.  It's obvious even during install that it's just a DLC for a flight sim, but I don't care about that.  The controls however are complex (like the flight sim), and not set up for mouse/keyboard as much as a joystick.  I am used to the old Il2 so no real surprises there.  Using the mouse in the meantime, I have KO'd my first T34 as gunner, but was not helped by my driver, who I did not know how to stop, LOL.  Re-mapping of controls is a definite, it's just there are so many of them that I will never remember them all!  Not so straightforward, but there we are.

Phase 3 - if I need to, get out the joystick.  I have a good one so not too concerned if it comes to it.  Re-mapping some controls will however be required.

Phase 4 - try my old TrackIR (4 I think) which didn't work so well a year or so ago in Il2, but used to be great.  Might be the light conditions around me so might need to turn off the sun during the day and the lights at night.  Getting TrackIR to work in any game like this is an absolute must - situational awareness is key and the immersion is far better.  Perhaps I should say that I think alternatives to TrackIR are available, but I haven't tried them.

Phase 5 - if I need to, acquire a new TrackIR (ouch, that's expensive).  Sun switching may still be required, but I think the new model is better at handling background light, and it has 6DOF which mine does not.

Phase 6 - continue to learn, all the while struggling to remember the control mapping.

My initial assessment is that although it's not exactly 'plug and play' it looks like it could be worth it.  I hope so and how I'd love it to be the tank sim I think it could be.  The more who buy it, the more likely it will be.

A few minor aspects - as mentioned earlier I have already downloaded some 3rd party scenarios (great work) and looking at the nicely modelled but clean and unmarked Tiger I was using, I need vehicle mods (if they exist, haven't looked yet).

Have discovered different paint schemes so my comment above was a bit premature.  Also VR is supported but as I don't have a headset, I'll stick with my plan to try TrackIR.  Just need to search the attic for it 😉.

Anyway just had some fun in a Panther Ausf D against KV1s.  Need to better understand the gunnery controls/sights/range settings (back to school for me) and re-map a few things to keys I can remember, but fun nevertheless.

13 hours ago, Vacilllator said:

I am talking of Il2 Tank Crew.  I think Aragorn2002 was as well.  Not sure about VR but TrackIR is supported.

Il2 tank crew,  and Tank Crew VR are not the same game 😊. I have Il2-bos, and almost every module. Do you think Tank crew is worth its price?

I love Steel Fury Kharkov 1942, with STA mod. The best tank sim, I ever played. But I have not tryed il2 tank crew yet Though.

4 hours ago, Armorgunner said:

Il2 tank crew,  and Tank Crew VR are not the same game 😊. I have Il2-bos, and almost every module. Do you think Tank crew is worth its price?

I love Steel Fury Kharkov 1942, with STA mod. The best tank sim, I ever played. But I have not tryed il2 tank crew yet Though.

Indeed they are not the same. 

I'm the opposite at the moment, I have none of the filght sim modules so just Tank Crew (although I used to play Il2 1946 and the earlier versions a lot). 

Is it worth it?  I think it probably is and will get even better over time.  In my opinion it would benefit from efforts to make it less obviuosly a DLC for a flight sim, but it doesn't bother me that much.  Also some tutorial missions and a manual might help newcomers like me (unless I've missed them somehow). 

The dev team seem very active at the moment and I have faith in 1C's support over the years.

One thing I hadn't thought about is that I really feel the need to dust off my HOTAS, pedals and TrackIR (and even replace bits) and get it all to work with Tank Crew.

SF with STA was (and still is) very good but I think Tank Crew may be / could be better.  Time will tell but I like it so far.

On 11/30/2020 at 7:41 PM, wadepm said:

I would not call that a "bone" since we have already seen it.  Good stuff though...

Yes, but I agree that it is nothing new. What I want is more news about the coming module, new screenshots and an update on the progress made. And I don't want to hear everybody is working on the scenarios and campaigns, because as Frederic the Great would say that's not more than their verdammte Pflicht und Schuldigkeit (damned duty and guilt).For God's sake, it's December and we're still kept in the dark. What are you afraid of, BF, that the Chinese steal your module, make a copy of it and release it before you can? Is all this secrecy really necessary? Just finally release this module and do it without pre-ordering as a gesture towards those who waited for so long. Or are you indeed as Rocketman suggested planning to release CMRT and this module on Steam and is that the reason for all the endless delay?

Edited by Aragorn2002

Echoing what Aragorn has said; There's zero hype for this module because they haven't released anything in the last 6 months to keep us interested. I don't see how that's a good marketing strategy. I might forget to buy it because I simply wasn't reminded that it's on its way. Give us a real bone already or tell us what's up with the development.

Edited by Anonymous_Jonze

2 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

For God's sake, it's December and we're still kept in the dark. 

yeah srs wtf bfc its december already where are the pre orders at least where are our updates at least give us that on a weekly basis tbh i dont even think its coming out this year at least I got call to arms ostfront which unlike bfc I KNOW they are coming out with it this year kind of mind boggling whats going on here

Edited by STAGEMAN

It looks like they're still very much busy putting the module together. I think they'll need some time to test, even after all models, textures and campaigns are in-game. Not to mention that Christmas is around the corner, and the Devs may take time off to spend with their families. As such, I have a feeling that Fire & Rubble will be delayed from early January -- possibly into February.

Hopefully we'll get some showy AARs before then.