The state of CMSF2

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Rarely do the good captain and I agree on anything entirely.....But this is one of those times.  B)

I completely disagree that we rarely agree! :D

12 minutes ago, Mord said:

At this point I just want them to fill da gap on my hard drive with some SF2!

Mord.

You might have to sit in timeout for that one. Yeesh! :lol:

Now that we are getting AA capability to the AA units already present in CMSF1 I am wondering are you adding any new ones SA-13 or even the SA-19 that would pair nicely with T-90 and BMP-3. These two could just get ported from CMBS.

Also are there going to be any manpads for anyone?

I think the AA gameplay might feel very conflicting and unfinished with Shilkas being the only AA capable unit in the game...

1 hour ago, Artkin said:

Yes and Shock Force is set almost a decade before Black Sea... Maybe I am missing something

I don't think there is a disagreement to be found here. We might have talked past each other. I think in SF2 US/NATO should not have any AA other than occasional manpads, but Syrians should have plenty of low tier manpad, spaag and maybe a few high-end ones like SA-19

In reality, in the Shock Force 2008 Syrian Invasion scenario as posited by Battlefront I would think the ability of the Syrian Air Force to get through to carry out an airstrike would be quite low. It wasn't until the NATO module that the feature in the game was even added IIRC. Perhaps BF just decided to do it as it was easy to code. :)

I once suggested scenario makers could use the Syrian Air Force units to represent contributions by former Warsaw Pact, now NATO, countries to the war effort as they were still flying some of the same planes back then.  :)

6 minutes ago, IanL said:

Well some models have been changed others just tweaked I would recommend not using *any* mods from CMSF1 in CMSF2. Personally I don't think I would even spend the time experimenting with old mods at all - instead look to new work for things that you want to change when they come out.

Good to know, thanks

1 hour ago, IanL said:

Well some models have been changed others just tweaked I would recommend not using *any* mods from CMSF1 in CMSF2. Personally I don't think I would even spend the time experimenting with old mods at all - instead look to new work for things that you want to change when they come out.

I’m actually still using Kieme’s buildings when not actually checking beta issues. I just like the more dilapidated look and the roof hatches. :D

Did some of you beta testers try how unmodified engine 0 campaigns behave in CMSF2? Presumably they are somewhat easier due to the proactive AI improvements but that would be no problem. I talk about breaking stuff like nonfunctional AI plans or ATGM emplacements that look into the wrong direction for example.

Reason is this whole CMSF2 thing did reignite my Shock Force flame again and I found some neat custom campaigns I never played before. Doubt they will get upgraded soon up to CMSF2 E4 standards so I consider if I wether should play them on old school CMSF right now or if I´m better waiting and then fire them up in CMSF2.

Edited by MANoWAR.U51

3 minutes ago, MANoWAR.U51 said:

Did some of you beta testers try how unmodified engine 0 campaigns behave in CMSF2? Presumably they are somewhat easier due to the proactive AI improvements but that would be no problem. I talk about breaking stuff like nonfunctional AI plans or ATGM emplacements that look into the wrong direction for example.

Reason is this whole CMSF2 thing did reignite my Shock Force flame again and I found some neat custom campaigns I never played before. Doubt they will get upgraded soon up to CMSF2 E4 standards so I consider if I wether should play them on old school CMSF right now or if I´m better waiting and then fire them up in CMSF2.

I think it's ok to say that the individual scenarios have been given a good working over, but that the work on the campaigns is not complete. But that would only be the campaigns provided originally with SF1 and the modules, not any user developed ones from the repository. Those would need a scrub by whoever created them once SF2 comes out.

22 minutes ago, Ultradave said:

I think it's ok to say that the individual scenarios have been given a good working over, but that the work on the campaigns is not complete. But that would only be the campaigns provided originally with SF1 and the modules, not any user developed ones from the repository. Those would need a scrub by whoever created them once SF2 comes out.

Yes I am aware of that. However the point of my question was how unmodified untouched campaigns behave in CMSF2. Steve mentioned CMSF2 has the ability to translate Engine 0 stuff but I would like to know how practicable is it to attempt to do this and if I am better advised to play the unmodified custom campaigns right now in CMSF1 and focus on the "certified" i. e. upgraded content when CMSF2 releases.

Edited by MANoWAR.U51

Ah, I see. All I can answer to that right now is that I've played through two battles each of the US and German campaigns and they play just fine. Nothing is broken that I could see. Nothing specific to the campaign. Can't say any more than that.

I am very much looking forward to this  upgrade. I cut my teeth with CM:SF after eagerly awaiting CM2 for what felt like decades at the time. And after a very, very difficult birth CM:SF grew, with the additional modules into a tour de force.

But let's face it; those poor Syrians didn't stand a chance against NATO force in any conventional battle (although the Syrian Special Forces and Republican Guards were ffing fantastic!)

The M1 Abrams was even more of an uber tank in Shock Force than CM:BS despite no LWR's etc.

What I loved was playing  near peer battles between  the NATO forces (sorry, I mean 'Training Exercises'!)

So roll on late Summer and thanks in advance BFC :)

Just thought I'd mention Steve said earlier in the thread it's vehicle mods that will most likely not work as the models changed. Sburkes comment hints that building models may not have changed. Sound mods I suspect will be fine. I don't know if the soldier models changed.

2 hours ago, Ultradave said:

Ah, I see. All I can answer to that right now is that I've played through two battles each of the US and German campaigns and they play just fine. Nothing is broken that I could see. Nothing specific to the campaign. Can't say any more than that.

Are you talking about playing vanilla CMSF1 missions or "upgraded" CMSF2 missions. Thanks