The state of CMSF2

This all looks amazing. Shock Force is easily one of my favorite CM games, and this upgrade is my most anticipated upcoming release. I would have been happy with an engine update, so the new content and TO&E tweaks being added or potentially added is a great bonus. Also very glad to hear that the trenches will remain in game as ditches. The more options the better.

It's going to be a long two months waiting for this.

Forgot to mention, but the $35 price tag is a steal!

Edited by IICptMillerII

I just did some checking.....Predator had been in service over a decade at the time of the setting and Reaper had recently become operational (Gray Eagle was still a couple of years in the future).  But should these assets be made available to battlefield commanders on the ground? 

Presumably, in this instance that would be a BFC call.....It's their setting after all.  But damn it would be cool.  B)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

On 6/2/2018 at 10:08 AM, MikeyD said:

Just pointing out something in those screenshots. In some the horizon mountains are off in the distance while in others the mountains are close. Hmmm... interesting. Interesting.

Same goes for the CM:FI screenies and perhaps the 4th new CM:RT screenshot. So a patch thing? Is the tabletop floating in the void soon going to be a thing of the past? Or have the fields of view just been cunningly contrived?

CMSF2 now has two Regions; lowlands and highlands (or whatever we labeled them).  There's no real difference between the two (unlike the European Regions which have tons of differences) except for the graphical backdrop.  It's an atmospheric choice, nothing more involved than that :D

As for the Predator, it's a strategic weapon that tends to be used for high value targets that can't be reached by other means.  CIA and strategic USAF missions aren't within CM's scope of operations.  CMBS does, however, include the MQ-1C Grey Eagle armed drone because that one is operated by the US Army and is more likely to be used in combination with ground operations.  It only came into service in 2009 so that's too late for CMSF2's time period.

Steve

i have the same problem as "Lethaface", in my battlefront store only my marines and british module show up. but not CMSF. i buy it day 1 more or less, i remember there was something with e-licence and this system was retired or changed like 6 month later and the store changed too or so. so i think thats why my CMSF(no key)  does not show up in the store.

what do i have to do to resolve this? does this need to be resolved even?

also i dont quiet understand the upgrade system, i have CMSF+marines+british but not NATO .. in CMSF2 i want to have everything cause i want the new NATO toys i never play before. do i just buy the full upgrade? or do i buy full upgrade + NATO on top?

Edited by Pandur

13 minutes ago, Pandur said:

i have the same problem as "Lethaface", in my battlefront store only my marines and british module show up. but not CMSF. i buy it day 1 more or less, i remember there was something with e-licence and this system was retired or changed like 6 month later and the store changed too or so. so i think thats why my CMSF(no key)  does not show up in the store.

what do i have to do to resolve this? does this need to be resolved even?

also i dont quiet understand the upgrade system, i have CMSF+marines+british but not NATO .. in CMSF2 i want to have everything cause i want the new NATO toys i never play before. do i just buy the full upgrade? or do i buy full upgrade + NATO on top?

Don't take this as gospel, but it is similar to the question someone else posted and Steve confirmed the answer.  Basically you are able to get discounts on everything you purchased.  So you'd get the discounted base +marines+british, but no discount on the NATO module assuming you want it (and you know you do. :D )  Net result $35 + cost of NATO module which I don't think Steve has listed yet.  Steve can sort out your CMSF base - the key is irrelevant anymore - you'll have a new one for CMSF2, but he'll figure out the old one or at least confirm you have it...wouldn't make much sense to have the modules if you didn't :P 

Do you have CMSF still installed?  I believe if you go to unlicense it will show your key.  I wouldn't do that until you are ready to move on juuuuusssssttt in case.

Edited by sburke

2 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

CIA and strategic USAF missions aren't within CM's scope of operations.

Tactical surely.....Compared to a Strike Eagle, these things are a pussy-cat (but one with a LOT of potential utility).  ;)

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

Awh, Steve, I wanted to keep 'em guessing! ;)

I did do my research Mike, so I had a pretty good idea of how the pros/cons would line up.....Just hoping we can still swing the decision for the sake of future scenario designers. 

No Predators.  As I said, not within CM's scope.  Predators have not been used for tactical air support, which is the only thing that's relevant to CM.  Even during the height of the counter insurgency, which is much more amenable to drone usage, I don't think they were used in support of ground ops.

Steve

Boo.....Entirely understandable of course, but boo nevertheless.  :(

Surely won't stop me buying it and that's a fact.....Any new modules planned for this one yet?  One with more drones would be good!  :P

PS - I know, I know.....I'm droning on a bit.  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

2 hours ago, sburke said:

Don't take this as gospel, but it is similar to the question someone else posted and Steve confirmed the answer.  Basically you are able to get discounts on everything you purchased.  So you'd get the discounted base +marines+british, but no discount on the NATO module assuming you want it (and you know you do. :D )  Net result $35 + cost of NATO module which I don't think Steve has listed yet.  Steve can sort out your CMSF base - the key is irrelevant anymore - you'll have a new one for CMSF2, but he'll figure out the old one or at least confirm you have it...wouldn't make much sense to have the modules if you didn't :P 

Do you have CMSF still installed?  I believe if you go to unlicense it will show your key.  I wouldn't do that until you are ready to move on juuuuusssssttt in case.

thanks, its all clear now!

1 hour ago, Battlefront.com said:

No Predators.  As I said, not within CM's scope.  Predators have not been used for tactical air support, which is the only thing that's relevant to CM.  Even during the height of the counter insurgency, which is much more amenable to drone usage, I don't think they were used in support of ground ops.

Steve

The only time I can think of off the top of my head of a Predator being used in a CAS role was during the battle of Roberts Ridge in Afghanistan, during the beginning of the war. Here is the wiki page of the battle itself: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Takur_Ghar

Essentially, there was a US chopper shot down  with personnel on the ground under attack, and at one point a CIA Predator in the area was re-routed to use its hellfires in close support. 

That said, I still agree that Predators are beyond the scope of CM. Helicopter gunships essentially provide the same capabilities and more, and there are plenty of other support assets to choose from that accomplish the same mission. 

Yeah, I remember that one.  SpecOps with a Predator isn't unusual, though as you say even in this circumstance it was moved into combat more out of desperation than anything else.

As you say, from a tactical standpoint there's other Air Support assets that can be drawn from, even though they pack more punch than a single Predator.

Steve