best CM game

6 hours ago, coachjohn said:

Okay - Played Normandy without addons and shock force. Trying to decide whats next -

What do you consider the best CM game and why?

Search the forum. That has been discussed about a thousand times.

One can’t really say what’s the best. That depends very much on your liking.

Since you did not play the BN Moduls yet, you have not seen much of BN anyway. In terms if continuity, MG might be th right choice for you.

My personal favourite is CMFI, but I find myself playing much more CMBN, just because the loads of content and (probably) wider acceptance.

Otherwise, @sburke summarises it perfectly.

Edited by StieliAlpha

Haha you're going to get a 1000 different answers; Shock Force and Black Sea are my favorite, with Normandy a very close 3rd for myself. I prefer the little-room-for-error of the modern titles; and the scale tends to be a bit larger, which is to my tastes. 

I'd definitely echo Emrys and say I find myself playing BN and BS the most; they tend to be the better multiplayer experiences which is what I focus on. 

hi 

What I find interresting with the different answers is that everyone has a different favorite game, proof that it is not the same game with a different package but different games.
my favorite is the BN by interest for the period
but, to my astonishment, I like to play Shock Forces although neither the period nor the place interest me, but the asymmetry of the fight is exciting.

When I play with the Americans that I do not stop stressing to make me hurt or worse kill one of my soldiers, while playing terrorists my joy is immense when I destroy an Abram (i know… it's bad and I'm ashamed)

it is exellents games where everyone finds his account

27 minutes ago, Jock Tamson said:

George Mc's Highland Games campaign in CMSF is still the only one I have played to completion, despite owning all the titles.  There was something about the relevance of that title that really grabbed me and makes it my favourite.  Possibly helps that I am Scottish too.

Hi Jock

That campaign was not mine I'm afraid.I've only made one campaign for CMSF and that's 'Forging Steel'.

5 minutes ago, George MC said:

Hi Jock

That campaign was not mine I'm afraid.I've only made one campaign for CMSF and that's 'Forging Steel'.

He might have connected you to that campaign by the "Highland" part in its name and then distracted by what you have under your kilt... :blink:

CMFB in general at the moment, but the RT module will be my most played when it is released, as 1944-45 on the eastern side of things in Europe is my primary wheelhouse. I do like them all, but-

That said, I play the others in the following order:

CMRT (most of the time spent in the Editor for now)

CMFB

CMBN

CMFI

CMBS (I am not really interested in modern combat, but this has grown on me)

CMSF

I haven't opened CM:Afghanistan in about a year, and due to the inability to update it, I expect to not but for curiosity.

1 hour ago, George MC said:

Hi Jock

George MC, all your campaigns and scenarios are excellent.  I don't think USMC Forging Steel was part of the BFC original USMC release but was made independently later on.  Do you have plans to upgrade it with some of the new features that come with Engine 4.0 / Shock Force 2?  Well ............... now that I think of it,  just playing it in Shockforce 2 would be an upgrade because all the 4.0 ability (at least in theory) would then be present.  Triggers etc could be added but I don't know if that would be necessary.............. 

Below is a link to the campaign.  

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-shock-force-2/cm-shock-force-campaigns/usmc_forging-steel/ 

18 hours ago, Falaise said:

What I find interresting with the different answers is that everyone has a different favorite game, proof that it is not the same game with a different package but different games.

That's a good observation. It's also proof that the games are of a consistent quality. Many franchises suffer from having newer iterations, that may be technically superior -- and yet have inferior content. A flaw of my beloved Theatre of War series. Any CM you pick up is guaranteed to work well and have decent content -- really depends on your interest in the specific conflict.

Another interesting observation is that some people prefer WW2-era gameplay, and others prefer modern-era gameplay. I like to mix it up, do a campaign in one era and then switch over. It's a good contrast and makes you rethink a lot of your tactics.

I'd suggest getting the DLC for Normandy -- lots of content in there. It's certainly the best supported title. My personal favourites:

1. CMFI -- lots of content, and currently expanding. Unique middle-war setting and a varied Italian terrain.

2. CMBS -- probably the best modern combat tactics game on the market. 3 unique factions with impressive TO&Es. Great gameplay: each tech toy can be devastating if used right.

3. CMRT -- this one grew on me. This one only has 2 factions, but they are both very different and balanced. If you like big bombastic WW2 clashes, this is the one. Battles are generally big and require a lot of combined arms. Both sides have an insane amount of AFV types that are tailored to take on specific situations.

Honourable mentions:

a. CMBN -- I think this could be number 3, but you already own it. 

b. CMA -- this is a gem. If you like cold war, this is as close as you can get. Kind of like a polarity-swapped Vietnam. 

I have not played CM:FB, partly because of my disinterest in late WW2. Mostly because the other CMs have been keeping me well occupied. I do want to buy it soon...

On 23/05/2018 at 3:22 PM, MOS:96B2P said:

George MC, all your campaigns and scenarios are excellent.  I don't think USMC Forging Steel was part of the BFC original USMC release but was made independently later on.  Do you have plans to upgrade it with some of the new features that come with Engine 4.0 / Shock Force 2?  Well ............... now that I think of it,  just playing it in Shockforce 2 would be an upgrade because all the 4.0 ability (at least in theory) would then be present.  Triggers etc could be added but I don't know if that would be necessary.............. 

Below is a link to the campaign.  

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-shock-force-2/cm-shock-force-campaigns/usmc_forging-steel/ 

Thanks very much :)

No Forging Steel was released by myself independently. Not sure at the moment I'd have the time to redo all the missions using triggers. I'm busy with new projects using 4.0 which are taking what little free time I have at the moment.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Cheery!