Game is unplayable

Hey gent,  I have been playing these games for about six yeas now and have never really had a issue running the game.  I recently purchased a new graphics card a Radeon RX 550 and it does not like CM at all.  It will not play any of the games Normandy, Red Thunder or FB.  So the game loads very slow and in game I move the camera and nothing happens for up to 20 seconds than jerk an the camera moves super fast.  It is unplayable for me.  Any suggestions? 

Thanks

Logan

31 minutes ago, Bloody Bill said:

Hey gent,  I have been playing these games for about six yeas now and have never really had a issue running the game.  I recently purchased a new graphics card a Radeon RX 550 and it does not like CM at all.  It will not play any of the games Normandy, Red Thunder or FB.  So the game loads very slow and in game I move the camera and nothing happens for up to 20 seconds than jerk an the camera moves super fast.  It is unplayable for me.  Any suggestions? 

Thanks

Logan

Get an old NVIDIA card. Not too long ago, I upgraded my old computer with and old GeForce570. It worked, well, not perfect, but satisfactorily. You can get those old cards for almost no money.

The Radeon RX 550 should be a general improvement over a GeForce GT 720, even if the OpenGL drivers from Nvidia typically work a bit better.

Does this 'jerkiness' happen regardless of the scenario being played ? In other words even if you were to play a small scenario you would be seeing this jerkiness in movement ? Are you playing real-time or a turn-based game ?

What are the other specs of your computer (CPU, memory, etc.) ? What Windows version are you running and what drivers do you have installed ? If you have the latest drivers, then perhaps uninstalling them and installing a slightly older driver MIGHT help. I don't know if there is a particular Radeon driver that is having issues with CM. Was the GeForce GT 720 previously installed on this particular computer; if so, were those drivers uninstalled ? What resolution do you run the game at and have you made changes to the video card's settings or the in-game graphics settings ?

1 hour ago, Bloody Bill said:

Thanks

Logan

Sounds to me like you have an integrated Intel video card on the motherboard that might be interrupting the Radeon??  If so, either disable the integrated Intel video card or direct the Radeon to start when CM starts via the Radeon software...  My  i7 gaming laptop had this issue with my Nvidia card,  The Intel integrated video card made CM and other games unplayable, like how you described it.

I only use Nvidia cards by the way, not a fan of Radeon's.

Edited by Blazing 88's

@Schrullenhaft, I will try and answer these questions as good as possible.  

1. Yes the Jerkiness happens not matter the size of the scenario.

2. I have tried both real-time and turn-based.

3. I have an intel core i5 CPU 3.2GHz 16 GB Ram my Radeon RX 550 is version 18.4.1.

4. Yes the Ge force GT 720 was the original card on the pc.

5.  I run the game at 1920 X 1080.

I hope this answers all.  Thanks for the help.

You may want to try out an OpenGL benchmark and see how your card performs. I assume most of your other games are DirectX and could behave a bit differently compared to CM with OpenGL. One to try is GFXBench 4.0 (Desktop edition). See if your results are close to the median for Radeon RX 550. If they are wildly different from the median, then there would seem to be something going on with either the video card, the drivers or something about your OS environment.

AMD's OpenGL drivers DO result in slower scenario loading (up to 3 or 4 times slower). My assumption is that some OpenGL calls used for setting up the 3D environment are very un-optimized compared to Nvidia's OpenGL drivers. Within the game though the performance should be mildly comparable on nearly equivalent hardware (i.e. - AMD will NOT be 3 - 4 times slower doing any sort of graphics work in-game).

What sort of mouse do you use ? You may want to see if there are updated drivers for it if it isn't a common, wired mouse (which would likely just use Microsoft Windows provided drivers). If necessary, close down any mouse-specific control panels and be sure to use 'standard' cursors (rather than 'animated' or 'custom' cursors - which are not commonly used anymore). If your mouse is wireless, you may want to try a wired mouse if you have access to one and see if that makes a difference.

Edited by Schrullenhaft

By jerkiness, do you mean the stuttering that I suffered for years, I wonder? Turned out to be caused by the disc arm 'parking' on the HDD, which interfered with the program loading the sound files. Solved by installing 'crystaldiscinfo 7.0.5' and then under the function menu 'advanced feature' then 'AAm/APM control' and sliding the slider there all the way to the right.  Was like magic when I discovered it. There are other posts about it somewhere in here, but I don't know where. Might be a different thing, of course. This was a kind of 'micro-stuttering'.