An Possible Exploit

3 hours ago, sburke said:

That would decrease it for me.  Hearing the snap of a sniper round when I don’t know where he is? Way cool.  Rounds hitting with no sound? Weird.  I don’t go searching for audio sources to pinpoint my targets but I do like hearing the rounds   

some folks don’t get all in on the immersion thing, true of any game. I wouldn’t let their behavior drive game development for the rest of us though.

Actually I think this might happen at the moment. I think in certain situations where you haven’t spotted the shooter (small calibre rounds only), you do not hear the sound of rounds hitting. I often see troops with suppression indicators showing but with no sound of rounds hitting nearby (could be other reasons though - again I haven’t tested). For me this is a bit of an immersion killer.

14 hours ago, sburke said:

I am having a hard time telling if that was a joke or you are serious.  Why would you play on scenario auth test mode?  You get full intel on the enemy and turning icons off doesn’t help.  You can still see them and if you do click on them you now get their c2 links as well showing their higher hq.  Why don’t you just play iron with icons off? That would be harder.

the whole point of test mode is so you can verify the ai plan is working as intended. 

I am serious. I get annoyed at how bad cm spotting can be and I feel like battles aren't as immersive if I can only see one side. I love watching both sides hammer away at each other. I'm just having fun here :)

26 minutes ago, Artkin said:

I am serious. I get annoyed at how bad cm spotting can be and I feel like battles aren't as immersive if I can only see one side. I love watching both sides hammer away at each other. I'm just having fun here :)

LOL okay, whatever floats your boat.  As Bob Ross would say, it's your world, do what you like.  Just confused me as folks were talking about the game providing too much info.

13 hours ago, Doc844 said:

Or do a variable tile source, if your close but have no eyes the indicator will be within a couple of tiles of the actual source, the further the distance the larger the tile spread.  So at say 1km the ? Icon pings upfor an AT that fired but it is randomly placed within a (i dunno) 20 tile radius, so you can take a swag at it and pummel it with arty but you might be wrooong.  To me this would be the best solution.

A twenty tile radius at one km sounds a bit much for me, but half that might be okay.

Actually, I feel like the anxiety over sound placement is a bit exaggerated. Sound placement was a regular phenomenon during battle; the bigger the bang, the more accurate the placement, other factors such as wind direction and volume being equal. Also, the more rounds fired from a given location, the more accurate the placement is apt to become. That's why in an ambush it was desirable to fire a few shots and then displace to a second location and then perhaps to a third.

Michael

5 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

A twenty tile radius at one km sounds a bit much for me, but half that might be okay.

Actually, I feel like the anxiety over sound placement is a bit exaggerated. Sound placement was a regular phenomenon during battle; the bigger the bang, the more accurate the placement, other factors such as wind direction and volume being equal. Also, the more rounds fired from a given location, the more accurate the placement is apt to become. That's why in an ambush it was desirable to fire a few shots and then displace to a second location and then perhaps to a third.

Michael

+ 1