Panzer Tactics (from a Wehrmacht Training Circular)

Bud,

You're most welcome--and thanks for your wonderful CM comics!

Bil,

Am going to have to go read the Bil commentated version on your blog. The excellently posed Panzer commander art reminded me of a real bit of grog chrome visible in the image: those throat microphones clamped on his larynx. This was done to keep his speech intelligible even with battle raging. Have no idea why this clever invention isn't used by the US and everyone else, since it seems an excellent solution to keeping the battlefield uproar out of the conversation.

Regards,

John Kettler

1 hour ago, John Kettler said:

Bud,

You're most welcome--and thanks for your wonderful CM comics!

Bil,

Am going to have to go read the Bil commentated version on your blog. The excellently posed Panzer commander art reminded me of a real bit of grog chrome visible in the image: those throat microphones clamped on his larynx. This was done to keep his speech intelligible even with battle raging. Have no idea why this clever invention isn't used by the US and everyone else, since it seems an excellent solution to keeping the battlefield uproar out of the conversation.

Regards,

John Kettler

I think they were used in US, I am sure I remember seeing that they used them in aircraft at least.

EDIT: I may just be remembering this from the movie Memphis Belle however. :lol:

Edited by Oliver_88

9 hours ago, Oliver_88 said:

EDIT: I may just be remembering this from the movie Memphis Belle however.

No, I've seen them mentioned in numerous accounts. Mostly I've seen them used by bomber crews; I don't know about fighter pilots. I think that for the most part they went out of fashion after the war. Maybe face mics got better.

Michael

Throat mikes: they distort the voice, but not too badly. Their best feature is that they transmit speech, but not the ambient noises.

As microphones have gotten better, they have gotten smaller and lighter, and better able to discriminate the "noise" from the "signal". 

These advances would also apply to throat mikes.

I would submit, that for you to understand the rapid shift away from throat mikes, that you tighten a belt about your throat and then engage in dynamic activity.

As soon as a reliable solution away from throat mikes could be found, it would be used.