Crater grogs rejoice!

Brother Ed is happily making craters on a 3-D printer, and I unearthed this to help him. Turns out this is a blast from my past, in the form of a runway cratering study I used when doing a report on US rapid runway repair capability in my early days at Hughes. This is, in part, quite the tutorial on crater configuration from aerial bombs and addresses dimensions  for a range of bomb sizes against both a range of runway types and against bare soil. It's called BOMB CRATER DAMAGE TO RUNWAYS and was authored by Peter Westine of the Southwest Research Institute. 

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/907456.pdf

P.S.

I give up! This post won't delete. Tried doing that after realizing I put it in the wrong place. Should be in CM GDF, not CMFB. Mods, please move it. Thanks! 

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

4 minutes ago, Artkin said:

I've made sure to help John along his way to reaching his personal nirvana. :lol:

Sure, but as long as his rep is negative, he is in hock to BFC (read the Eula). Once he goes positive, he will be emancipated. Do you really want to set him loose?

;)

10 hours ago, Erwin said:

The whole marking people down like that smacked of childish schoolyard bullying.  I was appalled at the adolescent mentality of the folks who did that to John.  Glad we can at least mark him back to neutral.  Then it's up to him.

Downvote? How on earth does that work? :mellow:

4 hours ago, Bud Backer said:

It doesn’t. That functionality is no longer available since the forum was upgraded.

Just a minor correction - for the record. Steve disabled all voting due to our social problems. :) AKA some of us were mistreating others (not making a judgment that some people didn't *deserve* some negative feedback just pointing out that ganging up and intentionally down-voting everything someone posted = poor behaviour).

After a group time out and the last upgrade someone asked if it was possible to turn the reputation back on but only allow up-voting. And here we are.

Edited by IanL
spelling

36 minutes ago, Bud Backer said:

It doesn’t. That functionality is no longer available since the forum was upgraded.

Didn't know that, but good to hear it's been eliminated. Sorry to hear John is still 'suffering' because of that. Perhaps he should be pardoned. :)

31 minutes ago, IanL said:

Just a minor correction - for the record. Steve disabled all voting due to our social problems. :) AKA some of us were miss treating others (not making a judgment that some people didn't *deserve* some negative feedback just pointing out that ganging up and intentionally downvoting everything someone posted = poor behaviour).

After a group time out and the last upgrade someone asked if it was possible to turn the reputation back on but only allow up-voting. And here we are.

I see. Yes, sometimes we take ourselves 'a little' too seriously at this forum. I know I make that mistake from time to time. Reading my own comments after a couple of weeks sometimes makes me want to hit myself with my keyboard. Not necessarily about what I say, but why I feel the need to say it in the first place. Social problems indeed. :)

Edited by Aragorn2002

21 hours ago, c3k said:

Good grief! How did you find this? And congrats on your deficit to BFC being reduced to just negative 81. ;)

I think it's more a question of who else would have the imagination to even look for such things, or the tenacity to dig them up on a daily basis...

Checking in with the latest tidbits keeps me coming back to the forum. It's like a scavenger hunt, but without a list of things to find, the things find you instead!

2 hours ago, DerKommissar said:

I always thought the ridiculous negative score was some sort of inside-joke. Another great post.

That's a long story, thankfully such behavior is no longer possible. I almost quit the forum over it.

6 hours ago, General Jack Ripper said:

I think it's more a question of who else would have the imagination to even look for such things, or the tenacity to dig them up on a daily basis...

Checking in with the latest tidbits keeps me coming back to the forum. It's like a scavenger hunt, but without a list of things to find, the things find you instead!

That's a long story, thankfully such behavior is no longer possible. I almost quit the forum over it.

Perhaps we all should have done that. I see that quite a few forum members have upvoted John in this thread. Let's all do that and make sure this kind of nonsense (downvoting) will be erased from history as soon as possible.  UPVOTE JOHN!!

On 10-4-2018 at 4:17 AM, c3k said:

Sure, but as long as his rep is negative, he is in hock to BFC (read the Eula). Once he goes positive, he will be emancipated. Do you really want to set him loose?

;)

Isn't there something like an 'ignore this member' option? People who are annoyed by Johns post's can simply use that. I'm not one of those people btw.

1 hour ago, MOS:96B2P said:

+1 My friend!  :)

Thanks, comrade!

16 hours ago, General Jack Ripper said:

?? OK that's not how I would put it. Thankfully there is an ignore user setting so I don't have to read some of the utter tosh that he finds. And no, the occasional good stuff does not outweigh the tosh.

16 hours ago, General Jack Ripper said:

Yeah, *that* I can understand. I'm thankful too.

Mission accomplished on erasing JK's deficit, but at the moment it won't budge off "0" neutrality and into positive territory.  He's long been both active and unfailingly polite.  His posts are often helpful and interesting.  Moving his rep to a positive number seems like an appropriate tip of the hat.

Edited by Rokossovski

MOS:96B2P,

Since I don't want the trench grogs to feel ignored, I thought I"d show the dazzling work of a gentleman who makes WW I trench models of dazzling accuracy and detail, using mostly found materials, too. If we ever get CMGW (Combat Mission: Great War), this'll be important. 

https://mymodernmet.com/military-models-trench-warfare/

Regards,

John Kettler

10 hours ago, John Kettler said:

WW I trench models of dazzling accuracy and detail

Wow, what amazing detail.  The time and effort that he must devote to this.  I had no idea there was so much technical information involved with a WWI trench.  From some of those dioramas it easy to understand how so many troops got trench foot.