Once Upon a Time on the Western Front

1 hour ago, 3j2m7 said:

Echt  !!!! 😎 cool !!!

Thank you very good job and nice to read,...somes months ago I saw on the forum a GI with a cigarette butt are you also the author of this ?

I don’t recall giving anyone a cigarette butt in my comics, but I might have forgotten. There are several hundred panels, and I also did a few standalone ones that were posted in the various screenshot threads, so it’s easy to lose track. :wacko:

26 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I've been looking forward to seeing another episode.....Cheers Bud.  B)

Any chance you could give me some tips on how you achieve this remarkable look?  I'd like to try a similar comic-book style for the artwork in my CM:A Blue Campaign ('Abdul Gul's War'), to date my own efforts have looked pretty poor by comparison.

Thanks, mate. Glad you enjoy it.

Tips? Well I read a number of books by professionals like Wil Eisner, and did a lot of research. Being an avid lover of Donald Duck and Tintin helped too, I found inspiration there. And then there is practice, practice, practice. I’ve done a lot of writing long before I even attempted making my first comic. 

There is no “right” way to do it. And it’s very time consuming. Takes me about a full work day to do 3 panels, for a frame of reference on what’s involved. 

Best tip I can give you: find a style you really like, and then experiment with adapting it to make your own style. I love Tintin, but I would not want my comics to look like a Tintin Knock-off. And I don’t just mean graphics, but your own humour in the writing, or the situations you present. It’s easiest when you try to be you and not someone else. :)

Not a bad start, by the way. ;)

5 hours ago, IanL said:

Excellent!

Thanks, Ian!

3 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this unfolds.

The horror... :lol:

3 hours ago, Falaise said:
it's great I love your comic strip  :wub:
thank you

Thank YOU for commenting. I appreciate every one.

44 minutes ago, Bud Backer said:

I don’t recall giving anyone a cigarette butt in my comics, but I might have forgotten. There are several hundred panels, and I also did a few standalone ones that were posted in the various screenshot threads, so it’s easy to lose track. :wacko:

44 minutes ago, Bud Backer said:

So than muss be on the several hundred panels or standalone...but I think now I know  where I saw this....on the Bill Hardenberger page explaining tactic and situations....

could be also from you ??

17 hours ago, 3j2m7 said:

Echt  !!!! 😎 cool !!!

Thank you very good job and nice to read,...somes months ago I saw on the forum a GI with a cigarette butt are you also the author of this ?

I believe you are referring to my work... see:  King of the Hill  

Extract-01.jpg

Sorry Bud, now back to the regularly scheduled programming.

16 hours ago, Miller786 said:

A comic AAR? looks awesome!

Thank you. If this is new to you see my signature below to find the other 5. ;)

16 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

Bully! Been missing this for far too long. Glad you're back.

:)

Michael

Thank you, Michael, I suspected you might be chuffed to see this! :D

15 hours ago, 3j2m7 said:

So than muss be on the several hundred panels or standalone...but I think now I know  where I saw this....on the Bill Hardenberger page explaining tactic and situations....

could be also from you ??

Ah, that explains it. See Bil Hardenberger’s reply. That’s his fine work. I only wish there was more!

12 hours ago, Heinrich505 said:

Bud,

YESS!!!!  I just stumbled on this.  So great to see you back in action.  Your work is always appreciated.  

Thanks Heinrich. Your stories in the screenshots threads are legend in my view. ;) 

35 minutes ago, Bil Hardenberger said:

Nothing to be sorry about. Your work was fan-effing-tastic and you deserve every bit of credit for it. 

1 hour ago, Bil Hardenberger said:

Extract-01.jpg

Yes Bill this is you is true... asking me why you dont do more about  i think will be really appreciated from everybody's !!

Also sorry Bud to disturb this place...back to your really appreciated job now !!!

Edited by 3j2m7

27 minutes ago, 3j2m7 said:

Yes Bill this is you is true... asking me why you dont do more about  i think will be really appreciated from everybody's !!

I've only done the one because frankly, they are very time consuming to develop.. they aren't simple screen captures, I could spend a few hours on one panel, hand painting, arranging figures from multiple screen grabs together (the leaders around the jeep scene is an example).  I did enjoy doing the one I did and who knows, maybe someday I'll do another.

Edited by Bil Hardenberger

3 hours ago, Bil Hardenberger said:

I've only done the one because frankly, they are very time consuming to develop.. they aren't simple screen captures, I could spend a few hours on one panel, hand painting, arranging figures from multiple screen grabs together (the leaders around the jeep scene is an example).  I did enjoy doing the one I did and who knows, maybe someday I'll do another.

Will recommend you Bill...when some peoples have somes good "side" they have also to let know ...

11 hours ago, sburke said:

One of the cool things about this game and this community is there are so many perspectives and ways to enjoy it.  I think I have only really seen this in RPG stuff. Rock on @Bud Backer

Very true. From individual screenshots to Heinrich’s impressive stories, kohl’s desert and winter mod, Bil’s Ui icon set, you name it. A lot of fine effort, something for every taste. 

11 hours ago, Ivan Zaitzev said:

Great stuff!

Thank you!