Jump to content

New Scenario: Tactical Operations Center


Recommended Posts

FWIW I have an aging 2.67GHz i7(!) system which is able to run TOC with little problem other than some stuttering at times.  (I did upgrade to a fast SSD and 24GB Ram.)

It was made by XI Computers in CA and it seems that when everything is optimized, an old far less powerful system runs a lot better than what appears to be a much more powerful system with less compatible parts.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Glad you got it out there @MOS:96B2P.....I too would like to have done more in testing, but real life happens and it's a pretty tricky scenario to test.  :unsure:

I reckon having the wider group play it is the best bet, anything we missed will be picked up on, but from my own experience I could see you'd honed it to the point that the main limitation was the engine itself.....This scenario so needs Uncons, on both sides, just think of the damage you could do then!  :D

Massive respect for what you've created here.....It's revitalised my interest in CM:BS, if only as a testing ground for CM:SF II and IMHO it demonstrates the best possible use of the engine's capabilities right now, without being a serious victim to its major flaw.  B)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/26/2018 at 7:07 AM, Chudacabra said:

this is one of the best single-player scenarios I've played for any CM game.

Agreed.  Hope others make the effort to play.  It often seems like most people on these forums merely want to read other peoples' AAR's rather than actually play a CM game themselves.  :(

Edited by Erwin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Frederico said:

The only negative is the possibility that this leaves most other scenarios lacking in the future! 

+1     Am concerned about this as well.  Most CM2 scenarios are basically repetitive variations on a common theme.   I was getting quite burned out on CM2 until I started testing TOC for MOS.  It was a re-energizing experience.   MOS has raised the bar to a great height.  Just hope that other designers are similarly inspired.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Frederico said:

Really interesting concept!!  I am about three hours in and it has been a fun and challenging scenario. The only negative is the possibility that this leaves most other scenarios lacking in the future! Thanks for all of your work in creating this new approach.

Thank you for playing the scenario and taking the time to comment on it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Erwin said:

+1     Am concerned about this as well.  Most CM2 scenarios are basically repetitive variations on a common theme.   I was getting quite burned out on CM2 until I started testing TOC for MOS.  It was a re-energizing experience.   MOS has raised the bar to a great height.  Just hope that other designers are similarly inspired.

you could take up designing yourself rather than commenting negatively on the general work of other designers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you ever read my posts you would know that I repeatedly lay claim to having absolutely no talent for design (having tried it for CM1 - and it almost gave me a breakdown).

I take my hat off to those talented folks who enjoy spending months of their lives creating missions.  I prefer playing and playtesting and don't mind spending hundreds of hours doing that if that helps.  

Some designers are very good.  MOS's TOC is xnt.  Most designers are average or conventional and those sorts of repetitive designs get boring after one has played the same sort of mission a few dozen times.  It's like some folks spend most of their time gabbing on these forums while a few of us actually spend our time playing.  To each his own and why waste time complaining about other's predilections...

Edited by Erwin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Erwin said:

If you ever read my posts you would know that I repeatedly lay claim to having absolutely no talent for design (having tried it for CM1 - and it almost gave me a breakdown).

I take my hat off to those talented folks who enjoy spending months of their lives creating missions.  I prefer playing and playtesting and don't mind spending hundreds of hours doing that if that helps.  

Some designers are very good.  MOS's TOC is xnt.  Most designers are average or conventional and those sorts of repetitive designs get boring after one has played the same sort of mission a few dozen times.  It's like some folks spend most of their time gabbing on these forums while a few of us actually spend our time playing.  To each his own and why waste time complaining about other's predilections...

Yes I have heard you state many times how hard you find designing.  What I don't get is when you admittedly realize it isn't easy to do you so easily denigrate the work of those trying to learn.  Not sure how participating in the forum and playing are juxtaposed, but you do have some unique perspectives.  It is almost as if you intended that as a jab, but if asked I am sure you'll deny that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Erwin  Making comments like this on other forums:

Quote

Yes that would be useful as I would estimate that only about 20% of CMSF scenarios or operations I have played are any good.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/genhawkscmforum/cmsf-scenarios-t1568.html

Really doesn't help your case much.  :mellow:

That was from back in 2009 to be fair, but it's pretty typical, found purely by chance while looking for a copy of CM:SF Rahadnak Valley Search.....It's easy to say how rubbish other peoples' work is, but it takes actual effort to get into the editor and demonstrate how you could do it better or even differently.

Put up or shut up.  :angry:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I worked in the movie industry it was a hard lesson to realize that nobody cares how hard you worked on a screenplay or the movie.  If the movie is good it makes money.  If it's not good, it loses money and peoples' careers can go down the drain.  

The world is tough that way... life is competitive.  Rewarding mediocrity discriminates against the talented.  Once you leave school, one does not get credit for "effort" - only for success.  I subscribe to the philosophy that one rewards merit and that success encourages even greater accomplishment. 

The very best thing one can do with feedback is be honest, and provide suggestions on where things are going wrong and to attempt to show how things can improve.  Am not attempting to be cruel or be a knowitall smartass.  Pointing out other peoples' work that is exemplary generally begets positive results because people can improve through observing and following the examples of others who have accomplished xnt work.

Maybe that is not politically correct in a world where "everyone" must be rewarded so that they don't "feel bad".  But, I guess I am old school.  

(PS:  I certainly don't want to make comments that upset people.  If folks don't like what I am saying they can simply put me on their "Ignore" list.  That's a win-win.)

 

Edited by Erwin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not trying to get into a battle with you fella, you've given me some great ideas like the bank vault in 'The Heist' and even inspired whole scenarios like 'The Hornets' Nest', but you have to appreciate that if you don't understand the editor, it is hard to take some of your comments seriously.....Scenarios like TOC are pushing the envelope of what is possible with the game and while ideas & suggestions are great, it's the actual implementation that's always the issue. 

And then there's the timescale!

Which reminds me, I still haven't looked at TOC in the editor.....Reckon I might just have to play it one more time first though (for old times sake), it really is that good!  ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

(TOC)... it really is that good!

Yes it is. 

MOS exploited some trailblazing concepts that have been possible to use in the CM2 system for some time - but he is the one who succeeded in implementation and he has raised the bar (a lot).  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am looking for assistance locating the mods referenced in the briefing (yes, that means I am setting up to play this). The briefing mentions three mods:

Ukrainian / Pro Russian Separatist mod by Pquumm (digital uniform) - found a drop box link in this thread

 

Kieme CMBS additional flavor objects (civilian cars) - found a drop box link in this thread

Kieme CMBS alternate crops (farm field crops) - found an official source http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/?p=2942

So are those drop box links correct? Are they planning to be made available in the official mod site? At any rate I am planning to add tags to those mods since I do not want them to appear for all my games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, IanL said:

I am looking for assistance locating the mods referenced in the briefing (yes, that means I am setting up to play this). The briefing mentions three mods:

So are those drop box links correct? Are they planning to be made available in the official mod site? At any rate I am planning to add tags to those mods since I do not want them to appear for all my games.

In the description of the scenario at the Scenario Depot 3 links to the mods are provided (near the bottom of the description).  The links are good.  I just did a quick double check.  I don't know if the authors will ever place them at the mod site or not.  Since they never have I almost doubt they will 😞@Kieme(ITA) has an entire thread of many very good mods............... 

I hope you enjoy the scenario.  It is intended to be more interesting than difficult.  If you have any questions I am happy to assist. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MOS:96B2P said:

In the description of the scenario at the Scenario Depot 3 links to the mods are provided (near the bottom of the description).  The links are good.  I just did a quick double check.  I don't know if the authors will ever place them at the mod site or not.  Since they never have I almost doubt they will 😞@Kieme(ITA) has an entire thread of many very good mods............... 

Thanks - I didn't read all that since I figured it was mostly the same as in the briefing. Clearly not correct. I will check to make sure I have the right mods. Thanks.

The civilian vehicles mod is actually stated to provide additional flavour objects. So, if you designed the scenario using these additional objects what happens to those objects when someone loads the scenario who does not have the mod installed? Can you point to a grid section that has these vehicles? I would be interested in seeing what is there with and without the mod.

 

1 hour ago, MOS:96B2P said:

I hope you enjoy the scenario.  It is intended to be more interesting than difficult.  If you have any questions I am happy to assist. 

Lots of people have been enjoying it so I am looking forward to it. Did you ever make that PDF for decoding the intel codes?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I found that using the 'Briefing Toggle' in game was sufficient to let me interpret new intel as it came in, but it's definitely worth having a notebook and a pencil to hand so you can keep track of it all as it accumulates.

The civilian vehicles are a must, not just for this scenario, they are a superb addition to the game as a whole and they do indeed use new slots so nothing is taken away from your game by having them.  If you don't have the mods installed you will see.....Nothing (I've tested this personally, I used bazillions of them in Trumpton).

PS - Read the briefing very carefully, at least half a dozen times.....There are lots of little details in there that can help you can to formulate your plan of operations.  Nothing should be taken for granted and the 3D map should be studied in detail (Hornets' Nest type detail) before letting your pixel-truppen loose on it.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, IanL said:

The civilian vehicles mod is actually stated to provide additional flavour objects. So, if you designed the scenario using these additional objects what happens to those objects when someone loads the scenario who does not have the mod installed? Can you point to a grid section that has these vehicles? I would be interested in seeing what is there with and without the mod.  

Checkpoint Eagle #1 located at Grid: 45042613 has some civilian vehicles lined up.  Might be easier to find cars if you just zoom into the town of Belz and look on the west side of town where the bigger homes are located.  You will see civilian vehicles parked in some of the driveways and garages.   

 

22 minutes ago, IanL said:

Did you ever make that PDF for decoding the intel codes?

No PDF however there is a Word document containing the intelligence code.  The code is also contained in the briefing.  

Also a Word document containing an explanation of the grid system which is also contained in the briefing.

The Word documents are in the scenario description at the scenario Depot 3 (near the bottom).  

Edited by MOS:96B2P
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...