New Scenario: Tactical Operations Center

35 minutes ago, Kozlice said:

The hype is real

I apologize for the scenario "Tactical Operations Center" not being completed yet.  I was hoping to have it completed at the end of May, as you quoted above.  Beta 8 was released to testers a few days ago and should (I hope) be the last Beta.  I'm happy to see you are following developments since this was your first post on this thread I didn't know you were interested.  PM sent.     

Edited by MOS:96B2P

Well worth the wait fella, I've missed a couple of iterations and the improvement on an already great scenario is quite tangible.....There's some really, really clever stuff going on in the latest version, just tweaks of what was already there, but it's adding even more immersion to the story.  B)

Damn it was a really bad idea to come back to the CM forums several weeks ago. Now I can´t leave this place anymore, so much great stuff to be found here.

Looking forward to see the release of this scenario. Some of its ideas sound quiet revolutionary.

Lol not sure what all you are tweaking. You are a perfectionist. Perfect is the enemy of good enough. Release your baby to the public.  You’ll get more feedback.   Agile software, it is all the rave now.  :D

seriously this is pretty damn polished scenario. 

Then you can start prepping a CMSF variant. Heh heh

Edited by sburke

Everything is present, almost everything works, what doesn't is beyond @MOS:96B2P's abilities to fix, but not his abilities to mitigate.....Just a matter of pacing and final rebalancing IMHO, based on about 33% of the latest beta. 

It just ain't possible to speedrun this one and still generate detailed feedback, there's a hell of a lot going on, the player is left to devise his own plan, but the seperatists have plans of their own.....Put it this way, I thought I came up with some pretty radical stuff here & there, but testing this has made me completely revise my ideas of what is possible with the CM engine.

This genuinely is a campaign in a scenario, consequently there's a campaign's worth to get just right. 

PS - In my current play through I was a bit too casual about something and now I'm in a world of hurt.....But it's awesome watching it develop and trying to extricate myself from the mess is proving hugely challenging!   B)

totally agreed, this one is a constant resource management battle..and it lasts a really really long time so don't get complacent.  You have to pay attention to details or you will pay the price.  A lot of scenarios have that aspect but rarely for several hours. I found myself developing several ad hoc response teams and had to make them mission oriented to succeed.

17 hours ago, sburke said:

Release your baby to the public.  You’ll get more feedback.

"You only get one chance to make a good first impression."   BF has a very smart policy of not releasing anything till it's completely ready and it applies here as well. 

People are looking for, and eager to jump all over, flaws in a new scenario.  This system of MOS is so good I hope it inspires many other designers to stretch the envelope.  But, it's a very sophisticated concept scenario and it has to be as perfect as it can be to really showcase its features.  Due to its length, it's doubtful many will want to play an updated version if there is a problem with what is released.  

A major aspect of MOS' TOC scenario that am enjoying is having enuff time in 4 hours to decide what one's overall strategy and "standard operating procedures" are for dealing with the insurgents.  Of course one's plans have to be continually updated depending on what surprises may blindside you.  The Russians and Separatists have complex plans of their own and it feels like am playing vs a cunning human oppo.  

In addition, a player has to examine intelligence reports from IIRC 5(!) sources (S2, SCIF, SIGINT, UAV's, HUMINT...) as well receive requests from Ukrainian Liaison officers and consider logistics, ammo conservation as well as transport of supply to troops and also of Defectors to evacuation sites... Your Forward Operating Base even has a "functioning" helicopter landing pad where you receive men and supplies and also evacuates Defectors.  There is even a motor pool shop which cleverly simulates repaired vehicles being returned to service... and much more... 

TOC has features that have never been seen in any CM2 game and is a truly revolutionary re-imagining of what a CM2 title can accomplish in terms of providing exciting challenges for experienced and also less experienced players.  As we know, most CM2 games are very unforgiving of mistakes.  But, in TOC, one can make errors and still recover the initiative. 

TOC provides enuff reinforcements and assets that one can make blunders and still recover the initiative and play to the end without restarting a savedgame (unless you are Sgt Slaughter of course - sorry SS, couldn't resist hehe).  :P     (Am about halfway thru testing Beta 8, so I may still eat those words however.)   :unsure:

I'm Squarehead, not Slaughter.....It eventually took me 33 attempts before I finally got out of the mess I had made for myself in the [REDACTED] on the [REDACTED]:o

TBH there was a deliberate policy at play there, let's just say I had a vested interest in viewing the outcome, very satisfying it was too.....But also an utter b*****d to deal with without major losses!  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead