New Scenario: Tactical Operations Center

9 minutes ago, Erwin said:

This is one big drawback.  Unless there is a way to randomize the appearance of intel, it limits replayability.

This sounds like a scenario that you probably won't even be able to finish. And if I do, once through will probably do it for me.

4 minutes ago, Erwin said:

This is one big drawback.  Unless there is a way to randomize the appearance of intel, it limits replayability.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there are huge random elements in MOSs scenario such as the player choosing which targets to knock over and potentially will miss intelligence if site exploitation is not done thoroughly. Don't forget that while there is a strong intelligence theme here, this is essentially about command decisions such as 'do I react to this threat warning or should I send a patrol to see how Ukrainians are doing on the VCP, or should I go and get some detainees now, shall I send a force to marry up with 2nd Platoon at 1310?'

Oh things can change quite dramatically and really fast in this one!  :lol:

My main advice.....Don't **** off the Russians!  :o

I've pushed @MOS:96B2P concept really hard and it hasn't broken under the strain or caused me a severe whinge yet.....Properly impressive that is.

A measured approach seems to be the way forward, but there are countless ways you can go about it.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

25 minutes ago, Firehead said:

This sounds like a scenario that you probably won't even be able to finish. And if I do, once through will probably do it for me.

Yes.  It's made to be a static campaign so you get the persistent map damage and fight over some of the same locations more than once.  Hopefully it is interesting enough to get you through to the end.  Also many different things can happen at different times depending what triggers you hit and when you hit them etc. However once through for many players would understandably be enough.  Maybe a few years down the road while your waiting on another BFC release you might take it for another spin :D.   

23 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

this is essentially about command decisions 

That's funny!!!   The original scenario name was Command Decisions!!  

Edited by MOS:96B2P

Not upsetting the Russians seems to be a very big deal.  Other than for testing purposes, in all my play-throughs, there did not seem to be any compelling reason to use LZ 3 across the river.  Looks like suicide.  And from what you say, it is. 

Am hoping there is a way with triggers that if a Blue team across the river does not get noticed or engaged in combat that then they can accomplish their mission and get back undetected and all is well.  Maybe to recover a bailed out pilot or search the crash site to recover/destroy top secret tech.

6 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

The big H, made from terrain tiles, for the helicopter landing zone came directly from @Combatintman's scenario (I gave him credit in the Designer notes).  While playing his awesome scenario Into the Green I got the idea to use a Forward Operating  Base (FOB) and then added grid lines, HUMINT & SIGINT intelligence etc.  It was the mentoring and encouragement of Combatintman and @sburke that got me started in scenario design :).   Below is the link to Combatintman's scenario - Into The Green.  Highly recommend it.  

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-shock-force-2/cm-shock-force/into-the-green/

damn I am humbled that I would be considered an encouragement.  Makes me feel almost useful :P  Maybe this will be an encouragement to other potential designers out there.  New blood and effort is always welcome.

18 hours ago, Firehead said:

When you see the old salt Combat Mission veterans look at you with the Virtual Pixeltruppen Thousand-Yard Stare, it was scenarios like this, and a small little jaunt known as 'To The Volga' that did it to them...

df9964afcb4655e7794756fc75d48577.jpg
(Combat Mission Beyond Overlord veteran in his natural environment, circa 2001)

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:39 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

So did you buy it yet Chris.....This thing is just made for your dry style!  ;)

I'd love to hear your comments on what I did in my last run through the TOC.....I fear I may have triggered WWIII within the first six minutes of play!  :o

It appears to me you actioned the intelligence properly in all respects. The enemy cannot trouble your forces if he has been completely eradicated... ;)

I do have a week off coming in early May. I might just have to buy CMBS so I can play this scenario... Maybe I'll run Bandicam while I do it... :ph34r:

*****Small Spoiler Alert*****

But only a small one 'cos it's in the briefing, so I'm pretty sure @MOS:96B2P won't mind!  ;)

A sniper provides cover while his spotter attempts to save their team leader from the results of his (my) foolish mistake:

cdG8Lmz.jpg

Do not walk on the tyres!  :mellow:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 9:58 AM, MOS:96B2P said:

Made some adjustments in Beta 6.  Remember this thread is in the public forum not our scenario PM conversation.  :)  

So what part of the above was not understood when you took it upon yourself to post this.

3 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

*****Small Spoiler Alert*****

But only a small one 'cos it's in the briefing, so I'm pretty sure @MOS:96B2P won't mind!  ;)

A sniper provides cover while his spotter attempts to save their team leader from the results of his (my) foolish mistake:

cdG8Lmz.jpg

Do not walk on the tyres!  :mellow:

I am sh1tting Twiglets over this ... you ought to be ashamed of yourself for ignoring MOS's request. It is not your scenario to showcase, MOS has already requested that you stop posting scenario information and yet you continue to do so. I know exactly where this is on the map and I don't even own the game but I have worked it out from your screen shot and images that MOS has sent me. It is actually possible to work it out from the North and South AO maps that MOS has posted here if you look hard enough and know what you're doing ... which having spent 34 years at it ... I do.

So it is not a 'small spoiler' at all.

16 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

To quote the briefing:

They block the roadways with explosives rigged to discarded tires and by placing barriers across roadways forcing wheeled vehicles to by-pass.

My post was intended to emphasize that despite its enormous scale, you still need to micromanage each & every unit in this scenario.....The player is expected to know about the tyres and as they are flavour objects they are not hidden in any way.  :rolleyes:

Indeed IMHO, if a player were to attempt this scenario without knowing about the tyres it would be a short and disastrous journey to a rage quit.....They are part of the scenery, not a secret hidden thing (those are discussed elsewhere and only elsewhere).  :mellow:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

13 hours ago, Combatintman said:

It is actually possible to work it out from the North and South AO maps that MOS has posted here if you look hard enough and know what you're doing ... which having spent 34 years at it ... I do.  

Yes.  And you were spot on with the grid coordinates you sent me :D

19 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

To quote the briefing:  The player is expected to know about the tyres and as they are flavour objects they are not hidden in any way.  They are part of the scenery, not a secret hidden thing. 

Okay, this is my bad.  I should have jumped back into this thread sooner.    It is a bit of a balancing act to "tease" a scenario and generate interest while also maintaining OpSec.    No real harm done and this is just a game.  Not RL like Combatintman deals with in RL.   :)

They're some sneaky b******s they really are!  ;)

Hope we're all cool on the tyres thing, it really is something the player needs to be fully aware of.....While this is a HUGE scenario, the individual actions are quite small, platoon sized or less (some nutters allegedly do them with squads) and thus micro-management is essential, for all active units (keep an eye on the passive ones too), at all times.

PS - Did I mention that micro-management is essential, for all active units, at all times.....If not I should have.  :P

PPS - I'd love to see someone try this in Real Time Mode!  :lol:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead