New Scenario: Tactical Operations Center

MOS:96B2P,

Message received and have skimmed the OP. Color me dazzled by what you're doing. What an ingenious concept! Shall have to read this when my splitting headache abates!  Also, why, if there are pits for the 120 mm mortar ammo, the why aren't the mortars dug in, too?

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

11 minutes ago, John Kettler said:

Also, why, if there are pits for the 120 mm mortar ammo, the why aren't the mortars dug in, too?  

The mortars in a big pit (mortar pit) and the ammo is in a pit within a pit.  So everything is well pitted :P

1 minute ago, MOS:96B2P said:

I sometimes think it's more fun to work in the editor than to play the actual games.

Seconded.....You should be feeling genuinely satisfied, this is amazing stuff.  B)

Frankly I doubt even Steve or Charles envisaged anyone stretching the powers of the editor to this degree, @Battlefront.com, @Battlefront Charles have you seen this yet?  default_shrug.gif

11 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:
11 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

I sometimes think it's more fun to work in the editor than to play the actual games.

Us "players" greatly appreciate the time you modders and designer put in as most of us players hate doing that stuff.   But, always suspected you guys don't play so much.  (That's our job.)  B4 you start feeling sorry for us players.  Remember, someone has to do it.

Edited by Erwin

Forward Operating Base (FOB) Apache contains a Helicopter Landing Zone (HLZ).  The HLZ is used for both arrivals and departures.  Reinforcements and supplies come in through the HLZ and units depart from it.  During the Setup Phase a platoon may conduct an air assault from the HLZ (the player's choice).  The player has up to four different Landing Zones (LZ)s to air assault into.  Friendly units that are Separatists "unit objectives" must depart from the HLZ.  If they do not depart before the end of the scenario (because they can't make it to the HLZ or because they became casualties) the Separatists gain Victory Points (VP)s.   This mostly applies to the defectors who under the terms of the Ukrainian governments amnesty program must be evacuated from the Area of Operations (A/O).  However the US engineers that are working from the FOB are on loan from Brigade and must also exit the A/O prior to the end of the mission.  As the fighting moves back and forth across the map hostile action will block the Main Supply Route (MSR) and the HLZ will, at times, be the only link to the outside world. 

Below reinforcements arrive at the HLZ on the left of the screenshot.  On the right departures leave the A/O through the HLZ. 

Ok7N3XXh.jpg

aKVEYp9h.jpg

Very cool @MOS:96B2P. I have a feeling that reading the briefing and notes for this will be important. Is it more like a manual than a briefing :D . One thought that popped into my head is perhaps a PDF version of the how to manual might be appropriate given how difficult it can be to read text in game.

I test with a print out of the (6 page) Briefing and Notes beside me as that makes it much easier to understand the INTEL reports etc.  But that's all the "manual" one needs. 

Let's not alarm potential players with the off-putting thought that they need to read yet another "manual".

13 hours ago, IanL said:

Very cool @MOS:96B2P. I have a feeling that reading the briefing and notes for this will be important. Is it more like a manual than a briefing :D . One thought that popped into my head is perhaps a PDF version of the how to manual might be appropriate given how difficult it can be to read text in game.

Yep, the briefing contains the intelligence code and explains how to use the modified military grid system so it's important to read (above and beyond the normal reasons briefings are important to read).  Combatintman also mentioned a PDF so while its probably not necessary it's something under consideration..................         

The Area of Operations (A/O) for the scenario "Tactical Operations Center) is approximately 7.5 square kilometers.  The A/O is bordered on the north and east by the Seym River with the Russians in control of the opposite bank (north & east banks) of the river.  The river is not fordable by vehicles however it has a few deep fords where infantry may cross.  RPG Ridge is a dominating terrain feature that runs from north to south through the center of the A/O.  The ridge begins a few hundred meters south of the Seym River and runs to the southern edge of the A/O. RPG Ridge is characterized by heavy woods and heavy rocks prohibiting vehicle movement across it.  There is a break in the ridge northeast of FOB Apache resulting in a bottleneck in the road network. Much of the A/O is covered in woods interspersed with farms. The woods provide concealment for infantry units and are crisscrossed with trails utilized by the Separatists.  The town of Belz, which was damaged in the earlier conventional fighting, is on the east side of the A/O and contains the government complex, radio station, train station and detention/interrogation facility.

Screenshot of the north half of the A/O.

lsfMMZgh.jpg

Screenshot of the south half of the A/O.

sDV765Vh.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 7:35 AM, MOS:96B2P said:

I hope in a few weeks.  I'm in the process of building a  Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility (SCIF) in the FOB that can provide SIGINT in a pretty cool way for the BluFor commander.  Just stumbled across this ability while testing yesterday................. So making this addition along with suggested changes from the testers. 

This whole concept and your execution is awesome.  Nice work.

Hmmm, I thought this idea seemed familiar...

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2015 at 10:55 PM, MOS:96B2P said:

I like this FOB concept where you have your core unit and you can take them out the gate to do multiple varied missions.  Maybe create one additional AI plan where the FOB itself would come under a strong attack just to keep the player honest about how much he is taking out the gate.  It would also create some tension knowing it is possible the big one may hit the FOB while you have part of the combat power away on the given mission.  There is a lot of replay value in this scenario and map.            

Several years later, and here we are... :)

Edited by General Jack Ripper

3 minutes ago, General Jack Ripper said:

Hmmm, I thought this idea seemed familiar...

The big H, made from terrain tiles, for the helicopter landing zone came directly from @Combatintman's scenario (I gave him credit in the Designer notes).  While playing his awesome scenario Into the Green I got the idea to use a Forward Operating  Base (FOB) and then added grid lines, HUMINT & SIGINT intelligence etc.  It was the mentoring and encouragement of Combatintman and @sburke that got me started in scenario design :).   Below is the link to Combatintman's scenario - Into The Green.  Highly recommend it.  

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-shock-force-2/cm-shock-force/into-the-green/

4 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

The big H, made from terrain tiles, for the helicopter landing zone came directly from @Combatintman's scenario (I gave him credit in the Designer notes).  While playing his awesome scenario Into the Green I got the idea to use a Forward Operating  Base (FOB) and then added grid lines, HUMINT & SIGINT intelligence etc.  It was the mentoring and encouragement of Combatintman and @sburke that got me started in scenario design :).   Below is the link to Combatintman's scenario - Into The Green.  Highly recommend it.  

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-shock-force-2/cm-shock-force/into-the-green/

It is you that has taken it to a new level though. It should be evident from my briefing and associated graphics for that scenario that I was trying to get across that concept of intelligence led operations and give out clues from 'recent incidents' as to insurgent TTPs and HAZs. What I was unable to do was to take it to the extra level of providing intelligence feeds which do more than provide threat warnings during execute. Your concept is truly brilliant and rest assured I will be copying it.