The unit is going thru arming and firing but not shooting at target

This occasionally happens with marginal LOS/LOF. The most likely cause is that the gunner has LOS to the target but the gun does not have LOF. The target line shows LOS , NOT LOF, so it is sometimes possible to Target something the unit cannot actually shoot at.

Edited by Vanir Ausf B

Dammit well that is the problem I have LOS on very small hard to get to position against a sniper and he will kill my scouts and cause a slow down on my attack.  Thought I'd suppress him enough to get the scouts up without wasting any arty on him. Any inf unit taking shots will just get them killed and the attack goes down hill from there.

TYVM

7 minutes ago, Dynaman216 said:

It would be nice to have a unit with a fire command "wiggle" around an action spot to where they can shoot at the target if needed.  Or if this is already in the game to have it loosened up a bit.

It is not in the game. I doubt it will be added. Picture the posts: "I had my <insert powerful important thing here> nicely hidden in ambush and suddenly the damn thing started moving around exposing its position and it got whacked. WTH BFC fix or somethink" :D

1 hour ago, Dynaman216 said:

It would be nice to have a unit with a fire command "wiggle" around an action spot to where they can shoot at the target if needed.  Or if this is already in the game to have it loosened up a bit.

Have often asked why (eg) when the MG's 3rd ammo bearer can see and shoot a target why can't the MG move a few inches to also shoot at the target?   Keep hoping it's something we may find featured in CM3.

7 hours ago, IanL said:

It is not in the game. I doubt it will be added. Picture the posts: "I had my <insert powerful important thing here> nicely hidden in ambush and suddenly the damn thing started moving around exposing its position and it got whacked. WTH BFC fix or somethink" :D

Would that really be worse than the "I set my MG up with a LOF and now he sits behind a single skinny tree"?   Granted it is the devil we know type of situation...

It would be very useful to have a command that would move the unit a few inches so that the MAIN WEAPON could target the enemy that one of the non-gunner crew is spotting.  Yes, it could make the situation worse by exposing a tank, but one would have to consider that risk when one issued the "MOVE MAIN WEAPON TO TARGET" order. 

Most of the time this issue arises with MG's and moving them a few inches is unlikely to create problems.

14 hours ago, Dynaman216 said:

Would that really be worse than the "I set my MG up with a LOF and now he sits behind a single skinny tree"?   Granted it is the devil we know type of situation...

We were talking about vehicles. In that case yes I believe it would be worse. 

The MG setting up behind the tree would not be a good thing. This is not a common thing in my experience. Do people have game save examples of that happening?

With the MG (and ATG) examples, it has been common in my experience that one can set up the weapon at a hedge/bocage or in a building window which by eyeballing should give a wonderful unrestricted view.  But, one then frustratingly discovers that while the target can be seen by a crewmember, the gunner/gun cannot see the target and consequently the main weapon cannot fire.  And of course there is no way to persuade the gunner to move that MG a few inches to see and target what the crewmember sees.

I do not have a save game but it happens so often I should be able to get one.

MGs in buildings.  Did the latest patch take care of the problem related to that?  I NEVER put MGs in buildings any longer since they never appear to being able to setup in them.  Endless turns of waiting for them to deploy to fire out the window.  I've not even tried since the 4.0 patch so perhaps that has been handled.

5 hours ago, Dynaman216 said:

MGs in buildings.  Did the latest patch take care of the problem related to that?  I NEVER put MGs in buildings any longer since they never appear to being able to setup in them.  Endless turns of waiting for them to deploy to fire out the window.  I've not even tried since the 4.0 patch so perhaps that has been handled.

Didn't know there was anything to fix, but yes, I guess, cuz I don't have any problems with that (using v. 4.0).  It will take 3-5 turns (IIRC, from my last game, 2.5 minutes of set up time for a water cooled US .30 cal, so 3 minutes approximately, although it seems like there is a random element to it that might take it a bit longer,

I think the problem was not that the MG couldn't se up in buildings (it took a bit longer time, but they did set it up eventually),  but that the crew would switch the MG around when they got info on new contacts through C2. Every time the MG moved, it would have those 3-4 minutes of setup time, so the end result was that the gun hardly ever got off a shot.

Not sure if this was ever fixed.

I've often had an MG never setup when moved to a building, the unit status says it is setting up but after 10+ minutes for a German MG that should take under 2 I figure it is not going to happen.  It could be they were trying to move the gun around since I only checked status at the end of each minute but the MG was not moving from window to window as I recall.

On the reverse side of this, MG Units that don't need setup time, such as the Russian HMG, just need to enter the building and can potentially setup and fire in the same turn (if started their move say within 1-2x Action-Spot from outside of building).

For me, these Units entering the building should also fall under the same Setup restrictions as other MG Units, or at least reduce the time in half (since they are half-setup due to being already mounted on wheels and such...However, still need to move through rooms/doors, and setup furniture to get a good firing position, etc).

8 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Every time the MG moved, it would have those 3-4 minutes of setup time, so the end result was that the gun hardly ever got off a shot.

I thought that for very short distances a support weapon like MG can be moved without disassembly - ie ready to fire again quickly.

Just now, Erwin said:

I thought that for very short distances a support weapon like MG can be moved without disassembly - ie ready to fire again quickly.

Yes it normally can, but when it's inside a building, then the extra building setup time penalty applies every time. At least that's how it used to work, so unless they fixed it recently that's how it still works.

On 3/18/2018 at 2:16 PM, Bulletpoint said:

Yes it normally can, but when it's inside a building, then the extra building setup time penalty applies every time. At least that's how it used to work, so unless they fixed it recently that's how it still works.

I have had success with this as changing the facing only. The mg relocates in the building and then rotates and can find the target now.