Iranian Fighting Vehicles

Aren't the earlier Ch'onma-Hos essentially unmodified T-62s anyways? The Iranians have a very interesting and eclectic mix of East-West equipment. Most of the Western stuff is falling apart due to age and a lack of spare parts. Their ex-bloc style equipment was also eyebrow raising, I remember them announcing their new MBT....which was quite clearly a T-72 knock off. 

I remember enjoying playing the Iranian-Soviet hypothetical scenario in Graviteam; was an interesting match off. 

4 hours ago, Rinaldi said:

Aren't the earlier Ch'onma-Hos essentially unmodified T-62s anyways?

That's pretty much my understanding, although I thought they were supposed to have NERA/ERA modules.....I'm not seeing any on the tank above, or indeed anything to distinguish it from a T-62.

4 hours ago, Rinaldi said:

I remember enjoying playing the Iranian-Soviet hypothetical scenario in Graviteam; was an interesting match off.

I've been looking at similar scenarios using CM:A, TBH my 'Fragmentistan' stuff could as easily be set in Iran in the early nineties.....If you like battles with lots of T-55s & T-62s you would enjoy it.  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

One vehicle that caught my eye was T-72 "Khorramshahr". Apparently, a Ukranian upgrade that looks like a T-90a. Can it be a T-72 with a T-84 turret? After a quick google search, I didn't find much under that name except the Karrar tank. Which looks like a T-90ms, and I would guess the development of this "Khorramshahr".

Karrar_main_battle_tank_Iran_Iranian_arm

If we get Iran in CM -- I want this!

3 hours ago, DerKommissar said:

One vehicle that caught my eye was T-72 "Khorramshahr". Apparently, a Ukranian upgrade that looks like a T-90a. Can it be a T-72 with a T-84 turret? After a quick google search, I didn't find much under that name except the Karrar tank. Which looks like a T-90ms, and I would guess the development of this "Khorramshahr".

Karrar_main_battle_tank_Iran_Iranian_arm

If we get Iran in CM -- I want this!

Definitely a sexy color - like the black luxury cars you see all over the place.   A daily driver to work?

Khorramshahr is an Iranian missile, not a tank.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khorramshahr_(missile

The Karrar doesn't look terribly Ukrainian to me:

C6zWSN-XAAIhLrd.jpg

I'd say it's derived from the T-90MS.....Indeed I'd say it almost certainly IS an export version of the T-90MS.

PS - Wondering if the black paint isn't to hide all the little details it lacks, like a LWS.....It's visible on the MS but I can't see the sensors on the Karrar.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

44 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I'd say it's derived from the T-90MS.....Indeed I'd say it almost certainly IS an export version of the T-90MS.

Oh, when you put them side by side, I have little doubt. The cannon, MG and mantlet are the only thing that looks different to me. Is that an earlier 125mm smoothbore cannon? Do you see that long barrel sleeve-mantlet thing? What is that?

12 minutes ago, DerKommissar said:

What is that?

Thin sheet metal by the look of it.....In a couple of images it looks slightly tail heavy, which does make me reconsider the possibility that it's actually a T-72 with a funky new turret, perhaps the new bustle is more than the rear torsion bars can handle?

Are the road-wheels T-72 type they look different to those on the T-90MS.....I don't know enough about them to be sure?

Turns out there is indeed a Khorramshahr tank.....The T-72 Khorramshahr:

T-72 Khorramshahr

Apparently the welded turret is Ukrainian handiwork and it has Kontakt-5 ERA (as you can see).

FWIW

PS - If you stuck a turret-bustle and some side-skirts (plus some sheet metal) onto that thing, then painted it black.....

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

35 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

PS - If you stuck a turret-bustle and some side-skirts (plus some sheet metal) onto that thing, then painted it black.....

It would be cool to drive around South Kensington with all the other super rich Arabs and their toys.

11 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Turns out there is indeed a Khorramshahr tank.....The T-72 Khorramshahr:

T-72 Khorramshahr

Apparently the welded turret is Ukrainian handiwork and it has Kontakt-5 ERA (as you can see).

FWIW

That's what I'm saying, man. It would explain the weird angle of the hull, lack of thermal imager and the old gun. I am curious if they added the weird sheet metal on the gun to make it look sci-fi and new. Your link had plenty of examples of funky engine decks on old Soviet models. The engine exhausts look different to me, Karrar looks like a stock T-72. From what I understand, both the T-90Ms and T-84s needed new auto-loaders to mate the new gun with the new turret-bustle. So the question is: which auto-loader/cannon combo are they using?

post-3240-0-48130200-1409236728.jpg

Just a good shot of the T-84's gun for comparison.

• 2 years later...

@DerKommissar Turns out the Khorramshahr was indeed a T-80/84 turret & gun on a T-72S hull and we now know the Karrar is also built on a T-72S hull (& turret too, by the looks of it):

https://below-the-turret-ring.blogspot.com/2016/10/karrar-tank-revealed-to-be-upgraded-t-72.html

So the 'new' tank is actually a significant retrograde step from the older proposal.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

• 6 months later...