CMFB: Heavy lag with falling snow

I just bought CMFB and noticed I get lag when it's snowing. The snow will fall smoothly for about 10 seconds, then the framerate drops a lot for 2 seconds and then back to smooth framerates. It's not just the snow effect that lags during that time, it's the whole game.

(also, when I move the camera, the snow effect will move with it, which looks a bit weird...)

Quick question, do you by any chance have a hybrid SSD/HD? In that case put the game on the SSD partition. I had a similar problem and it is related to sound. Try in game to turn sound off. If the problem disappears put it on the SSD partitiion.

23 hours ago, rocketman said:

Quick question, do you by any chance have a hybrid SSD/HD? In that case put the game on the SSD partition. I had a similar problem and it is related to sound. Try in game to turn sound off. If the problem disappears put it on the SSD partitiion.

Nope, I'm running the game off the C drive, it's a pure SSD, no hybrid.

Also it's nothing to do with sound.

I found out a further interesting thing:

I get the problem in the tiny "Die Patrouille", but not on the much larger "Breaking the line". Both maps have falling snow!

The only difference I can see is that the former has "heavy snow" and the latter "light snow". So it seems to be a problem with the heavy snow effect.

Edited by Bulletpoint

On 4.3.2018 at 3:30 PM, Bulletpoint said:

Jep, just tested it. I changed the snow in Die Patrouille from heavy to light. Fixed the problem.

So, it appears the heavy snow effect has optimisation issues.

Yep, „Die Patroullie“  (resp snow) is a real performance killer. On my old computer, with GeForce 570, unplayable. But a good excuse to buy the new machine.

There are two more scenarios with snow, which may slow down your PC, but not to the extend of “Die Patrouille”.

Every snowflake is uniquely instanced as they occur. CM starts with a microscopic airborne particle, and then simulates super-cooled water molecules accumulating around it. Obviously, the H2O molecule's propensity for a 6-sided structure is modeled. At the sub-atomic level. (Charles is using some string theory here, I believe. 11 dimensions and all that.)

Next, the flake grows. It's terminal velocity, interaction with other snowflakes (always giving each other safe space, naturally), updrafts, random motions, and various other aerodynamic effects are all modelled...in real time, as they fall. 

By the time you see the snowflake on your screen, a veritable epoch's worth of history has already been accumulated...for each one.

It's no wonder a setting of "heavy snow" can slow down those of you with lesser computers.

Or, it just needs better optimization. I prefer the previous hypothesis. ;)

1 hour ago, c3k said:

Every snowflake is uniquely instanced as they occur. CM starts with a microscopic airborne particle, and then simulates super-cooled water molecules accumulating around it. Obviously, the H2O molecule's propensity for a 6-sided structure is modeled. At the sub-atomic level. (Charles is using some string theory here, I believe. 11 dimensions and all that.)

Next, the flake grows. It's terminal velocity, interaction with other snowflakes (always giving each other safe space, naturally), updrafts, random motions, and various other aerodynamic effects are all modelled...in real time, as they fall. 

By the time you see the snowflake on your screen, a veritable epoch's worth of history has already been accumulated...for each one.

It's no wonder a setting of "heavy snow" can slow down those of you with lesser computers.

Or, it just needs better optimization. I prefer the previous hypothesis. ;)

I was wondering if anybody would make a joke like that :D

1 hour ago, StieliAlpha said:

Yep, „Die Patroullie“  (resp snow) is a real performance killer. On my old computer, with GeForce 570, unplayable. But a good excuse to buy the new machine.

There are two more scenarios with snow, which may slow down your PC, but not to the extend of “Die Patrouille”.

If you want to play it, just go into the editor and change the snow from heavy to light. It will change the visibility a bit of course, but I didn't notice any big diference when playing it through again. Snow lag was gone though.

17 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

If you want to play it, just go into the editor and change the snow from heavy to light. It will change the visibility a bit of course, but I didn't notice any big diference when playing it through again. Snow lag was gone though.

No worries. Like I said: It was a good excuse to buy a new computer. 😎 And the new one copes very well with it.